Latest post Sat, Mar 29 2008 1:34 PM by BLKDOG. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 13 2008 12:32 AM

• skinnymc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 31 2005
    • NYC - Available to work worldwide
    • Posts 38
    • Points 470

The Bootcamp thread challenge

I've been editing remotely for a few months. The client I work with uses PCs. I use a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz with OS 10.4.11

We've run into a few problems such as drive formatting issues and the carryover of Sapphire effects at the online. I want to minimize problems with the client by being able to say I am operating in a Windows environment as well.

Ok, so will there be more problems or less if I upgrade to Leopard and edit Avid Xpress Pro 5.8 under Bootcamp/Windows XP?

I've struggled to find good threads about using Bootcamp on the Avid forums. When I search using Avid's search or Google I often end up with thread about Bootcamp I started on the Mac-side of the forum a month back.

The only thing I've figured out is that since I have a newer MBP my graphics card should be fine (it's not ATI).

Though I read somewhere that the MPB's firewire might not be supported?

Can anyone provide a handful of the best links about using AXP with Bootcamp? If not can we use this thread to get thorough feedback?

Thanks all!

PS Blkdog, sorry to hear Red is not too impressive (but that, as they say, is another thread)
    MCP 3.5.1/Leopard 10.5.6/QT7.6 on Macbook Pro 17" 2.4GHz Intel 4GB RAM (with a free replaced motherboard as the original had a defective videocard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 13 2008 1:28 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: The Bootcamp thread challenge

It's not that it isn't impressive, it just isn't quite there for us. Lots of potential but it's a lot of "Use this workaround" right now. I think it's analogous to the infancy of NLEs was in the early 90s.

So, about your bootcamp. The GFX card is the key. If you get that working, you should be golden.

Sapphire is Sapphire, Mac or PC, the translation to online should be no different. I don't think you will find any more OR any less problems using a PC version of the software. PC has its issues, so does Mac.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Mar 13 2008 1:57 PM In reply to

• skinnymc
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 470

Thanks for the reply. Oh I seem to remember something about difficulty with a 2 monitor setup using bootcamp. Is that still an issue?
    MCP 3.5.1/Leopard 10.5.6/QT7.6 on Macbook Pro 17" 2.4GHz Intel 4GB RAM (with a free replaced motherboard as the original had a defective videocard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 9:18 PM In reply to

• skinnymc
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 470

The Process I Used for Setting up AXP on my MacBook Pro with Windows XP using BootCamp:

I started with a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz with NVidia graphics card, 3 Gig RAM, OS 10.4.11, Quicktime 7.4.1.

1) Using the app SuperDuper I copied my boot drive running Tiger to an external, bootable FW drive. This drive is still capable of running my AXP. It's also insurance if I start running into big problems. I also uninstalled my Sapphire effects and registered that over the web (so that I can reinstall on the PC side later)

2) I did a simple Upgrade to Leopard (10.5.1).  A lot of folks recommend doing a clean install but I thought I'd try this and if I ran into problems I could do a clean sweep as a 2nd Effort.

I then upgraded to 10.5.2 which is said to be much more stable. I also re-upgraded to QT 7.4.1. I've also done all security updates, etc. Initially on Leopard my AXP did not run. It seems to have an issue with the dongle and with the coremidi... which is mentioned in the Leopard thread stickied above.

To save you some time basically I'll quote/paraphrase BLKDOG and others:

a) You need to dump the MIDI drivers in library>audio>mididrivers.

b) When you first open AXP in Leapard it said it did not have Interlok extensions and allows you to click to go to the PACE security website. There you'll find Interlok extensions for Mac OS 10.5; then download and install.

So now I have AXP "working" on Leopard 10.5.2 with QT 7.4.2. I've only used it briefly.

3) Moving on, using BootCamp, I partitioned 20GB of my Leopard drive for a PC partition. I then used my single OEM Windows XP SP2 install disk to install XP. I did all security updates (91 total!). I installed QT 7.3, Windows Media Player 10, Avid Xpress Pro (5.7 which I re-upgraded to 5.8), I reinstalled Sapphire. I also installed MacDrive 7 to be able to "transfer" files from/to my Mac formatted drives including my Leopard boot drive and media drives (it is not recommended to have AXP use MacDrive to access the media drives).

So far I've spent 2 short days doing this. It has gone smoothly but is very detail oriented.

4) Now begins the laborious of copying over projects and media to PC formatted drives. Here is a helpful Avid tech page about moving projects and media from Mac to PC: http://www.avid.com/cgi/kbase-redir.aspx?p_faqid=7

***Yes this is a repost to an answer I gave on the Mac-side of the forum. BLKDOG has consistently suggested Bootcamp questions belong on the PC side.  ; ) 

I had a heck of a time finding the answers to these questions, so hopefully it will be helpful to others to have it all in 1 post.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 11:02 PM In reply to

skinnymc:
    I had a heck of a time finding the answers to these questions, so hopefully it will be helpful to others to have it all in 1 post.
    Yes, very helpful! I recently got a MBP and will be doing the same thing pretty soon. But first I have to remove the WinXP install I did under Parallels.

MC 7.0.2 iMac 4Ghz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.10.3, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, Retina 5k 27" + Dell 24", Flanders Scientific LM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 29 2008 1:34 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

skinnymc:
    BLKDOG has consistently suggested Bootcamp questions belong on the PC side.  ; ) 

Actually, what I said was posts about running Avid in bootcamp belong in the PC forums as you are running a PC version of the software.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller