Latest post Thu, Mar 27 2008 2:13 PM by tonyjover. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 5 2008 11:18 PM

• MMP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 40
    • Points 660

Avid user going to DS Nitris version 7.6

Hello,

I'm a long time Media Composer and Symphony user looking to get my own system will HD abilities. I have the option of getting an Avid DS Nitris version 7.6 full system for a good price. Having never used DS Nitris, I had some questions.

1) How close is DS functions to say Media Composer?

2) I would be using the system for as a straight editor for TV and Corporate promos, can in work in this way?

3) Is there a major differance between 7.6 and the most current form of software?

Any answers are greatly appriatiated.

• Wed, Mar 5 2008 11:50 PM In reply to

• GusC
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,565

Re: Avid user going to DS Nitris version 7.6

MMP:

1) How close is DS functions to say Media Composer?

-They do the same basic NLE functions, just in different ways.  DS just does about 1000 times more stuff.    The interfaces are quite different, though and there will be a definite learning curve, as there always is when upgrading your skill set to include more sophisticated tools.  I knew Avids first and then transitioned to DS many years ago, and I keep a foot in both worlds now.  Once you become proficient on DS, it is very difficult to go back.  DS isn't for everybody.  In the wrong environnment, it can be counterproductive.  The same can be said for Symphony as well.

MMP:

2) I would be using the system for as a straight editor for TV and Corporate promos, can in work in this way?

If you are talking about using DS in a traditional offline/online situation, that seems to be a predominantly 'Avid' market.  DS will work in offline resolutions, and you can then Total Conform it in hi-res easily.  The problem is that DS doesn't export anything for onlining in other systems, so it's a one-way street.  With the exception of film and multicam, I find DS to be a fast, easy and uber-powerful editing system.  Another issue is that there is not a big freelance base for DS, whereas there is an abundance of 'Avid' editors.  I have cut many, many promos on a DS, and it is a fantastic and flexible machine for doing that kind of work.  IMHO it is far better for that than an 'Avid' due to the depth of the feature set. 

MMP:

3) Is there a major differance between 7.6 and the most current form of software?

The big differences are hardware.  You want to make sure that you get a 'Nitris' system, not an 'Equinox' system.  Not that there is anything wrong with an Equinox, it's just older and not as fast.  Software can be upgraded easier and cheaper than hardware. 

If you try to run the DS like it's a Media Composer, you will fail, as has pretty much everyone who insisted on that method.   Once you understand how DS thinks and run it that way, you will be amazed at what you can do and how quickly you can do it. 

• Mon, Mar 17 2008 6:37 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 390
    • Points 4,590
    • Moderator: Avid DS

GusC:
    If you try to run the DS like it's a Media Composer, you will fail, as has pretty much everyone who insisted on that method.   Once you understand how DS thinks and run it that way, you will be amazed at what you can do and how quickly you can do it. 

Seconded, thirded and fourded ;-)

You must approach DS as a 'different' NLE, just as you would, say, FCP.  It has lots of similarities to, umm, 'Avids', but loads of dissimilar workflows; fight those dissimilarities and you'll have a hard life.  Embrace them and you'll end up wondering why you never made the move years ago.

Regards,
    Tone :)

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 2:00 PM In reply to

• mhollis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 260

I consider myself pretty fluent with the DS and I'm currently spending a lot of time on an MC system.

The keyboard is really different. Lots of stuff you do in MC with the keyboard may be echoed on DS and you can set up the DS keyboard to be more like the Media Composer but the way DS works is radically different.

Think of DS as an editor with a really complete compositing system built in. If you grafted Adobe's After Effects onto a better editor than Adobe has released to date, you'd have many of the capabilities of DS.

If you are doing promos, the compositing abilities of DS are simply wonderful. Please see the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNoExzi79mU

That contains an in-show promo for a national newscast as well as graphics builds for same. All done on DS Nitris version 7.6.

It will take you a while to get there.

You ought to take the DS 101, 201 and 301 classes. 

Then you ought to plan to bring in someone who regularly works with DS for a while so that you can understudy him or her. The learning curve for DS is pretty frightening when compared to learning the Media Composer and many things MC does are done completely differently on DS. For example, DS does not do "Consolidation." Instead it has a really capable media tool that gives you many of the same functions, but you use different techniques. You can select material on the timeline and delete, cut, copy and paste it on DS but MC requires that you use your "in and out" keys to do that where DS uses a different technique.

On Media Composer, you have a video mixdown, which will enable you to flatten a bunch of layers, but you have to commit to them. On DS, you have containers and never have to commit to a video mixdown. If there is a limit to the number of layers you can have in a composite, I have not hit it yet. I suppose it's limited by RAM on your machine and, with DS version 8.x and Windows XP-64, you can increase the amount of RAM available to your DS to the limit of the workstation. On Media Composer, you're usually never hitting any RAM limits.

You have much better audio tools on DS than you have in MC. Much better color correction and you can draw a mask and color correct differently within that mask on DS.

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 2:13 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 390
    • Points 4,590
    • Moderator: Avid DS

mhollis:
    You ought to take the DS 101, 201 and 301 classes.

I'd amend that to you MUST take the 101.202.301 classes. 

DS is way too deep to find your way around it unaided unless you want to take a couple of years or more to do so.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller