Latest post Fri, Feb 29 2008 9:57 PM by jasonsaro. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 8 2008 10:56 PM

• JP Redman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 31 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • Posts 57
    • Points 920

Can't capture more than 35 minutes from tape deck.

Using APX 5.7.7 and a JVC BR-DV6000 DV deck.

Last week I asked about the possibility of doing eight hours of direct caputure from DV camera to hard drive and was told that if we use MXF format there is no limit on capture length. We're waiting for a new 1394 card and haven't tried that yet.

BUT... I assumed there was also no length limit on capture from a deck if we do MXF.
    THAT does not seem to be the case.
    After about 35 minutes of capture the audio starts to break up (sounds alot like what I hear when I fast forward a tape in a DV deck). In 5 to 10 more minutes capture stops and the infamous -"capture aborted due to lack of progress. The media capture to this point may be unuseable and/or incomplete" error pops up. It's now happened several times in succession.

As the problem happens it sort of sounds/looks/feels like the Mojo and/or the computer hardware just can't keep up with what the deck is sending them, but I have no idea if that's correct.

I plan on registering the buffers as suggested in Support doc #7965, but that doc is about deck control and dates from Aug 2005, so I don't have much hope that it will correct the problem, so I'm looking to you, my comrades in affliction for help.

Anybody have an idea what's going on?
    I may have misunderstood.
    Or the unlimited capture length thing may not apply to capture from tape.
    Or is this another version of Avid - JVC incompatibility I've read about (that's been most about the cameras)?
    Or is it something else entirely?

I'm rather lost and hoping someone has directions home.

Thanks, JP
    ISIS 5000-32 [v4.7.3.15400] dual Ethernet networked through a Force 10 switch to TWO HP Z800 [Dual Processor(6-Core) edit stations(1 w/12G ram, 1 w/48G... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 8 2008 11:10 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Can't capture more than 35 minutes from tape deck.

Gonna need more info JP. What CPU are you using? What storage? How is the storage connected? What version of QT are you using?
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Feb 8 2008 11:21 PM In reply to

• JP Redman
    • Not Ranked
    • Sacramento, California
    • Posts 57
    • Points 920

We are running a qualified system (built by Promax) with a Xeon 3.06, 2 gigs RAM, connected to a 6T Unity LANShare on a direct Ethernet connection. APX v5.7.7 On recent instruction of Avid Support we are running QT 7.2.

Ooh, ooh... I'll bet it's the Ethernet connection. Things are backing up because we can't feed data fast enough through that pipe. Whataya think?
    ISIS 5000-32 [v4.7.3.15400] dual Ethernet networked through a Force 10 switch to TWO HP Z800 [Dual Processor(6-Core) edit stations(1 w/12G ram, 1 w/48G... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 8 2008 11:33 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Yup, that's where I would go. You can't get enough sustained throughput for that long on an ethernet.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Feb 11 2008 6:13 PM In reply to

• JP Redman
    • Not Ranked
    • Sacramento, California
    • Posts 57
    • Points 920

The problem remains.

We figured that the Ethernet connection was too slow, so I moved the capture operation to another station that is connected to the Unity LANshare directly via fiber optic cable.

And that did seem to help. Instead of getting audio breakup at about 32 minutes and now it holds off until roughly 52 minutes.
    "Capture Across Time Code Breaks" worked pretty well. When the audio break up got too bad Capture ended the file and started a new one until it reached the end of the tape. So we ended up with three files. We just have to capture some "band-aides" to slap over the mumbly bits and we're done.

BUT... why can't the fiber optic connection to the keep up? We're capturing DV25. It doesn't seem to me like capturing DV25 should put much strain on the system.

Any ideas on what I should do to correct this?

JP

• Thu, Feb 14 2008 5:47 PM In reply to

• jdw
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 363
    • Points 4,435

Have you tried bypassing the mojo to see if the mojo is causing problems?
    MC 2018.9 OS 10.13.6 ISIS 7000 (2018.6.1) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 14 2008 8:21 PM In reply to

• JP Redman
    • Not Ranked
    • Sacramento, California
    • Posts 57
    • Points 920

Actually we did and it was on that system that we got 52 min long files.

BLKDOG suspects this is a Unity problem and has pushed my post over to that forum to see if anyone over there has any ideas.

Thanks for the effort. JP
  • Wed, Feb 20 2008 2:44 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

JP Redman:
    BUT... why can't the fiber optic connection to the keep up? We're capturing DV25. It doesn't seem to me like capturing DV25 should put much strain on the system.

Any ideas on what I should do to correct this?

JP

This doesn't smell like a Unity issue at all. Your fibre connection is 4GB, plenty enough for much bigger streams then what you're doing.

What happens when you capture to a local volume. If it's the same, I'd look at the length of the TC breaks (capturing across them in on Offline-Online, or seperate Audio Mixing environment can be real ugly) on the tapes. Also a lot of folks think that capture across TC breaks is some kind of cure-all. Nothing is going to help with severely broken control track, or a lack of preroll on needed material. I'm always amazed how people don't understand this, it's video 101..

JDS
    So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Fri, Feb 29 2008 8:00 PM In reply to

• JP Redman
    • Not Ranked
    • Sacramento, California
    • Posts 57
    • Points 920

Well... it been nine days and working around complaining editors and their projects I have finally solved the original Capture problem. The upgrade to Xpress Pro 5.7.7 corrupted Windows. Not only did it do it, it did it again. I'll explain.

After doing all sorts of useless and misdirected stuff that did not solve the problem (one of which was rolling back Avid to version 5.7.0, another was Capturing to a local non-SCSI drive), in extreme frustration, I hunted up an Operating System programmer here on campus and spoke to him about what was going on. He suggested that Windows was probably corrupted and gave me a long explanation with lots of big words and computer jargon I didn't understand, which boiled down to - "sounds to me like the installation program for version 5.7.7 renamed some files that are part of the OS and now the bits of the application that use those file can't find them."

So I reinstalled Windows  and the problem went away. I upgraded to Xpress Pro Mojo ver 5.7.7 and the problem came back. I reinstalled Windows (leaving Xpress ver 5.7.7 in place) and the problem went away again. It has only been a day, but so far everything is working just fine. I've done Capture tests up to 1hr 40mins several times without any problems.

The OS programmer also told me quite emphatically that Windows is "a self-corrupting operating system" and I should plan on reinstalling Windows every six months or so as part of routine system maintenance. I guess I will. It doesn't take long and seems to speed the machine up a lot. I side effect of the reinstall was that, making no other changes, it cut the time to encode a 40min program using Sorenson Squeeze v4.5.7, from more than three hours to under one hour.

BTW I have not yet even begun to address the problem of erratic Capture across fiber optic cable. That problem was happening on the MC Adrenaline systems, but it does sound much the same. So I will probably try reinstalling Windows on those systems too.

ONE LAST QUESTION --- does anyone know where I can find the list of "Avid approved" Windows Hotfixes that are compatible with Xpress Pro Mojo version 5.7.7 and 5.8.0? I'd like to install those patches if I can find out which ones will work.

My sincere thanks to all who offered advice and assistance.

JP
  • Fri, Feb 29 2008 9:57 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

"The OS programmer also told me quite emphatically that Windows is "a self-corrupting operating system" and I should plan on reinstalling Windows every six months or so as part of routine system maintenance. I guess I will. It doesn't take long and seems to speed the machine up a lot. I side effect of the reinstall was that, making no other changes, it cut the time to encode a 40min program using Sorenson Squeeze v4.5.7, from more than three hours to under one hour."

WHAT!!!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  WTF!

Sounds like Job Security for him.  Re-install every 6 months!  HA, no way, not true, do not need to do that.  I think your going to get my same response from a couple of other people on here too! 

What you need to do is set up wxpSp2 to the avid spec.  It can be found in the knowledge base.  It has you set things in the registry and such. 

Here is a link to the approved registry settings for wxpsp2.

XP OPTIMIZE
    http://tinyurl.com/36zotn

HOTFIX CHECKER
    http://tinyurl.com/2lj5ae

Set up windows correct ONCE, keep it correct, and up to date!  You will not have to re-install every 6 months.

Ohhhhh, hey guys, i used the tinyurl.com!!!  Love it!!

Jay

ISIS 5500 - 240 Tb HPZ840 - MC 8.4.5 XDCAM HD - XDCAM EX - HDCAM -- HDCAM SR [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller