Latest post Thu, Jan 29 2009 1:22 PM by PPavel. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 28 2008 3:58 PM

• chadmike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 28 2008
    • Schnitt Inc
    • Posts 12
    • Points 155

P2 card workflow in SD

I am running a PC based Avid Adrenaline Media Composer and have a job coming in on P2 cards.  We do NOT have the DNXCEL card, and because of that was wondering if I could import the footage into an SD 24 frames project, and then when it comes time to do the online, can I then spit out an AAF or EDL of the project and the online house can then link up the footage?  Or does the workflow have to happen differently? 

Please advise, and thanks in advance for any advice
    Avid Media Composer Nitris Version 3.1.1 Mac OS 10.5.5 2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 10 GB Ram [view my complete system specs]

If wishes and buts were clusters of nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola.

• Mon, Jan 28 2008 4:08 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: P2 card workflow in SD

You don't HAVE to have the Card in order to import footage into that Codec. In fact, you don't even NEED to work in that codec if you'd rather not (Though I find it much easier). You can import your P2 footage to an HD project, and either cut with it in native MXF or transcode to DNxHD if you prefer.

So, I don't see a reason to cut in SD unless your final output will be SD.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Jan 28 2008 4:19 PM In reply to

• chadmike
    • Not Ranked
    • Schnitt Inc
    • Posts 12
    • Points 155

The reason I would want to import it into an SD project is that then the client can view the process on their monitor.  We cannot display HD footage on our monitors without the card.  That is why I was wondering about importing into an SD project.
    Avid Media Composer Nitris Version 3.1.1 Mac OS 10.5.5 2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 10 GB Ram [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jan 28 2008 4:22 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Sure, but, in that case, you would import into a 1080i project and then just switch your project format to SD to go out to your monitor....

at least that's how I'd do it.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Jan 28 2008 4:31 PM In reply to

• chadmike
    • Not Ranked
    • Schnitt Inc
    • Posts 12
    • Points 155

Great.  Thanks a lot for your input.

• Wed, Jan 28 2009 10:33 PM In reply to

• grayboy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Halifax, West Yorkshire
    • Posts 518
    • Points 6,765

Can I just piggy back on this thread for a moment?  I have soem AVCHD files that I have converted to P2  files using the Pansonic transcoder.  This take sthe AVCHD fioels and converts them either into .mxf files or DV AVI files.  I can importboth files but the DV AVI have the jitters, and the P2 files wont play out on the firewire.  I am confused about what the recommended project format is for the P2 files, adn why I cannot see them playing on my client monitor.  They play in the composer monitor ok.

Graham

MC ver3. HPxw8400 Intel R Xeon quad core 5150@2.66Ghz. 3Gb ram. Xp Pro 4.6 Service Pack 2Pentium 2.8 GHZ2GB Ram Matrox Millenium G550 dual display80GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 29 2009 1:22 PM In reply to

• PPavel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Brno, Czech Republic
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,400

If you have the HD project with HD footage and you want to see output through the Firewire (DV format for MC software only) just switch the project temporary to SD.

PP

MC 3.0.5, Mojo, Dell 670, 2x Xeon 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX4000, Win XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller