Latest post Tue, Nov 11 2008 3:16 PM by camoscato. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 20 2007 7:19 AM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Advice to a Newcomer

My plans to take a step up from Liquid 7.2 to Avid Media Composer (Windows Software version) are now well underway.
    I am expecting to install the software in early Januay 2008.

My hardware setup is unlikely to change at the present time....but I am looking for any advice or tips from other new users or hardened "old-boys" ( better add "old-girls" too so I am not accused of discrimination Smile ) about any pitfalls etc. I am likely to encounter in the beginning.

I have already begun to read through some manuals I have downloaded, and I can see quite a lot of similarities with Liquid (well, they are both NLEs so that is not surprising)

However the main meat of the programmes is very different. I am planning to gradually increase my knowledge of MC by playing around with it parallel to continuing to use Liquid. Hopefully I will be able to change horses by the end of February or so.

So I am interested to hear any advice on using MC from any of you out there.....

One aspect of Liquid which I have been gratefull for on a few occassions is called "Instant save". This function logs your work about 30 times a minute  (second?) so in the unlikely event of a computer crash you can start from where you left off.
    Is there any similar function in MC? Or will I just have to get used to remembering to save from time to time as I edit?

Hoping that some of you have time to help me with invaluable tips for new users.

Regards,

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Dec 20 2007 8:06 AM In reply to

Re: Advice to a Newcomer

drbgaijin:
    One aspect of Liquid which I have been gratefull for on a few occassions is called "Instant save". This function logs your work about 30 times a minute  (second?) so in the unlikely event of a computer crash you can start from where you left off.  Is there any similar function in MC? Or will I just have to get used to remembering to save from time to time as I edit?

Hi Douglas,

Welcome to Media Composer!  There's a feature similar to Instant Save.  In Media Composer, you keep all your material and edited sequences in bins, and you can set up autosave times in your Bin settings.  I believe the default is something like a save every 15 minutes, but I'm not in front of a machine at the moment, so I can't check that.  At any rate, you can change it to whatever you like; I personally use 10 minutes.

Copies of your bins are saved in a folder called the Attic, and if you have a crash or a bin becomes corrupt, you can restore a backup copy from there.

My advice for getting up to speed with Media Composer is to take a look at these tutorials.  They were written for FreeDV, a free product that Avid no longer offers, but the interface and workflow is pretty much the same, so they'll give you a basic overview of how to get started, move material around the timeline, add effects and export to a file or back to tape.  And they're free.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Dec 20 2007 8:56 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks Carl,

That was just the sort of advice I am looking for.
    I am downloading the whole tutorial series right now.

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Nov 8 2008 11:23 PM In reply to

• Samwade
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 8 2008
    • Memphis, TN
    • Posts 7
    • Points 75

I'm also about to install avid media composer 3 and i know this is an old post but still hoping for help and would like to know if that would help me too I really need to know what will be involved with installing and setting up the software for instace any system settings thank you

(1st) IBM/HP IntelliStation Z pro 6221 with dual 2.8ghz intel xenon processors os windows xp pro sp3 4gb installed memory (only 3.5gb recognized don't... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 11 2008 3:16 PM In reply to

Hi,

My advice is to take a look at the sticky posts at the top of the Media Composer forum, and make sure you follow the advice there, and also take a close look at the documentation that comes with Media Composer (the ReadMe and any other pieces of paper or ReadMe files that came with the download).  If you follow all the instructions, you should be fine.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller