Latest post Thu, Jan 28 2010 12:30 AM by jwrl. 73 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 1 2008 12:08 AM In reply to

• sean90291
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 21 2005
    • Auckland
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,495

Re: RED ONE Camera WorkFlow

MichaelP:

I have been working with several of the engineers at RED to create better workflows as things move forward. Something to keep in mind is that no one is editing the native R3D files for actual projects as the performance is not quite up to par for editor expectations. So, in all cases, Avid or FCP, a proxy is created - be it DNxHD or ProRes. So that part of the process is a wash.

What becomes more interesting is the metadata management for the files regardless of how you choose to finish. Avid has far better metadata management. Currently users are having to add the scene/take information to the filename since you cannot lose that for a conform back the files. Since Avid tracks file names in a separate column; editors can actually change the name of the clip to something succinct and useful like... 24A/3.

It has already been said that RED will be releasing the SDK of the R3D files to other manufacturers after NAB. So things will change again, and all for the better.

By the way, you can run metacheater on a PC.. what problems are you having?

Michael

Gosh, I can run Metacheater on PC? I could have SWORN the Red>Avid workflow afforded by Metacheater was only available on a Mac. Based on my readings of the Reduser posts. But maybe it's because of the fact that RedCine does not yet export any metadata, making a PC workflow using Metacheater moot? I have never used Metacheater, but would love to start if there's actually a way to do this entirely with RedCine and a PC. Have I missed something big here?

And further to your point re: FCP and Avid both requiring renders of Red proxies (whether DNxHD or ProRes), it's true. Everyone I know with the most tricked out FCP system is not cutting r3d natively with any success. I'm very excited to see how Avid's inherent strengths will make my Red workflow as easy and effective as any other NLE, if not more so.

EDIT: I see that the coders of Metacheaters have released an updated version of Metacheater that is PC compatible. But I think I still need access to a Mac to run RedAlert to generate the files with metadata/timecode, correct?

• Tue, Apr 1 2008 6:15 AM In reply to

• buck50
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 2 2008
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Metacheater can run on both mac and pc.

You need a mac based Avid to get RED files into the Avid because the quicktime plugin only works on the mac side.

You can export quicktimes out of Redcine and then import into Avid but that takes a lot of time.  Also, getting Redcine to work without bugs takes a lot of work.

I cut a feature back in December that was shot on the RED camera and I cut it in Avid Media Composer.  I used a Mac based Xpress Pro to import and then moved the files over to our PC based MC.  Had no problems.

If you have any questions ask away and I will try and answer them as best as I can.

Avid MC 2.7.7 HPXW8200 Avid Xpress Pro Mac [view my complete system specs]
    "Is that the best take?"
  • Wed, Apr 2 2008 11:57 PM In reply to

• sean90291
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 21 2005
    • Auckland
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,495

Thanks Buck50.

That's what I thought: I need a Mac somewhere in the chain to make use of Metacheater in a Red workflow.

You can bet I'll have a couple questions for you, though. Cheers.

• Sun, Jun 15 2008 12:15 AM In reply to

• niels.ostenfeld
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 14 2008
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hi,

Here is an idea...

I am right now editing a short film shot on the RED ONE. Being an avid editor i don't like to have to resort to any other software to do my thing so after some trial and error i came up with a use full if not super fast solution. Here we go!

First up. I'm editing on my old macbook 2Ghz with 2GB of ram. Media Composer V3.0 and i have the RED codec installed.

It's a good thing I'm on a mac since Steve Jobs and the guys at apple at some point came up with the idea that automater might be a practical thing. And it is! I made a scrip that from the RED hard drive makes an ALIAS of all the xxx_xxxxxx_xxxx_M.mov files to one folder. Once all _M.mov files are in one folder I then can with METACHEATER open them. From METACHEATER i can then export an .ALE and import that into my Media Composer, and in one move preserve all my METADATA.

Whats left then is just to batch import all my quicktime files, and I have found out that you can just use the ALIAS files used to make the ALE in METACHEATER. 

This way you just have to do a backup of you RED drive to, what i like to think of as my edit drive, run one automater script, that when completed opens up METACHEATER.

Open QTALIAS, Export ALE, Import ALE and Batch Import QTALIAS - EASY! And the best this is that you can import in AVID to any resolution or file format you like. Omf, MXF, HD, SD it doesn't matter.

The only thing that i still don't like about this proses is import time - It's like 10 times real time, but I my mac is old and slow, guess that on a new mac pro or macbook pro it will go a lot faster.

If anybody would like to do the same, i would love to hear from you and get feedback.
    I have made a short white paper get it here nielsostenfeld.dk/red/red2avid.pdf
    The film will premiere late September in Los Angeles. 

niels.ostenfeld@gmail.com

Powermac G5 Dual 2GHZ, 2GB RAM, 23"CINEMA DISPLAY HD, MEDIA COMPOSER V3.1.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 15 2008 12:39 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Excellent. You have created half of an upcoming solution that demoed a few months ago. We are waiting for RED to finish beta 16. It basically is an Automater that uses some new feature in Redline to recreate new QT proxies and an ALE automatically with more metadata than via MetaCheater - both timecodes, color parameters, etc. I am hoping to see this get out in the next 2-3 weeks.

Michael

24p.com

• Sun, Jun 15 2008 12:49 AM In reply to

• niels.ostenfeld
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 14 2008
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thanks,

I'd like to hear more about that if possible. Nice to have a reply that proves I'm not insane :-)

Powermac G5 Dual 2GHZ, 2GB RAM, 23"CINEMA DISPLAY HD, MEDIA COMPOSER V3.1.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 25 2008 11:48 AM In reply to

• pointer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 20 2008
    • Greece
    • Posts 11
    • Points 125

As I see Jim Jannard announced that Avid is working on native r3d support:

Here

Is there any confirmation? If yes, when should we expect it?

Asus P4P800 deluxe,P4-3.0 GHz Northwood, 2G Ram, Quadro 4 900 xgl driven by 84.26, dual boot XP sp2 both, MC 2.7.7 and MC 3.0, also a Fujitsu-Siemens... [view my complete system specs]

...and what happens if I press this button?...

• Tue, Nov 25 2008 5:09 PM In reply to

Features are never announced before they are released.

Discussing when is considered speculation, which is a violation of the Community's TOS.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Mar 5 2009 4:47 PM In reply to

As of today, Avid MetaFuze 1.2 can transcode .r3d files into DNxND.

http://www.avid.com/metafuze/

Media Composer 2019.11 Home-built Windows 10 Pro Asus Z87-A Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Thu, Mar 5 2009 6:01 PM In reply to

Scott Carnegie:
    As of today, Avid MetaFuze 1.2 can transcode .r3d files into DNxND.
    Great. Appreciated.

Interesting but very limited choice of countries for the EULA.   Should I be Quebec, US / Canada, European union or one of the 5 named European countries??  Stick out tongue

No matter really it accepted my random choice from the above,  Yes

• Thu, Mar 5 2009 6:21 PM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

And Avid DS can natively conform using those .r3d files.

The Avid DS v10.1.1 is a patch release that installs over Avid DS v10.1. Please note that Version 10.1.1 adds support for the RED camera, color management enhancements and additional bug fixes. 

Important Notes: 

DS 10.1.1 is a patch, similar to a QFE. DS 10.1.1 allows for native RED support.  DS 10.1.1 cannot be installed on top of DS 10.0, customers must upgrade to DS 10.1 prior to applying the DS 10.1.1 patch. When installing the patch, uninstall any previous versions of MetaFuze first. Then install the DS 10.1.1 drivers. Next, stop all services (SLPD, MI and PI) and install the software portion of the DS 10.1.1 patch.  Lastly, install the new MetaFuze (build date 2/16).

Dual boot compatibility between DS and Symphony is possible with DS v10.1.1 and Symphony v3.5. The dual boot configurations are only possible on workstations qualified with Avid Nitris (classic) hardware. Verify system configurations here. There is no specific install order required for dual boot compatibility between DS v10.1.1 and Symphony 3.5. There is no specific install order required for dual boot compatibility between DS v10.1.1 and Symphony 3.5.

Installing the 120 MB patch includes a new Avid DS driver for future compatibility, a dual-link driver upgrade, a trial version of the Imagineer Systems Mocha tracking station software, and an Avid MetaFuze update. The MetaFuze update is required for RED camera support.

Michael

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:00 PM In reply to

• agusting
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 13 2009
    • Buenos Aires
    • Posts 71
    • Points 850

Hi, govind99! First of all welcome to the forum, I see it's your first post so it would be nice for you to introduce yourserf.

What can you tell us about this workflow tool you have developed appart from triyng to sell it?

greetings

Agusting

• Wed, Jan 27 2010 11:38 PM In reply to

• govind99
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 27 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 15

Thanks

This is tool developed by us for one of the good movie

released this year

BOOK OF ELI

JON FARHAT (Supervisior, Visual Effects) for him we ve developed this tool

we have added more than 15 options available in this tool to customize and user easily

can select from this and create their R3D files

Some of options are like useRSX, resizing output size, Time code(in both form frames or time hhmmssMM)

filter etc.

also we can add any other option on demand of user which is not available currently

Apart from this we have integrated ssh connectivity for this tool so providing ssh login you can execute the script remotely from anywhere

Please Visit www.noesisconsultancy.com

and read testimonial from Jon Farhat

Thanks 

regards

govind99

NOESiS Consultancy

• Thu, Jan 28 2010 12:30 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,418
    • Points 97,405

Reported.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 5 of 5 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller