Latest post Tue, Nov 11 2008 8:32 PM by pcr. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 17 2007 6:55 PM

• iBite
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Babelsberg/ Germany
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

OMF 2.0 embedded causes error -1

For audio post production of an 90 min feature with 10 audio tracks we tried to export omf files as embedded files with the remark "copy all files". After converting MC stopped the procedure with the error notice "export causes error: error -1". Meanwhile MC had created a new sequence and several .new-clips, but with the error warning the omf file dissapeared. We tied the procewdure over and over with all kinds of sequences but always the same result. Finnally we gave up and exported the omf files with handling length. Any ideas why the embedded file export doesn't work?
    Our specs:
    G5 dual 2,5 with apple raid 1.5 TB
    working space 2.5
    MC 2.7.5 with mojo sdi
    OSX4.10 with quicktime 7.2
  • Sat, Nov 17 2007 7:08 PM In reply to

Re: OMF 2.0 embedded causes error -1

Not sure, but I had issues with x.7.5 and OMF exports as well. For instance, the "Copy all media" setting did not work as expected. It resulted in a consolidated export with 0 handles.
    There's something wrong in the OMF export area. You might have more luck using AAF?
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 17 2007 9:24 PM In reply to

• iBite
    • Not Ranked
    • Babelsberg/ Germany
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Unfortunately the sound post house doesn't work with AAF in their protools workflow.... BTW the problem already existed with MC2.7.2 on our MC.
  • Sat, Nov 17 2007 9:30 PM In reply to

Do you mean that the post house cannot or will not work with AAF? It's a regular ProTools flavor these days.

Also, my issue also happened in x.7.2 already.
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 17 2007 9:36 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

Embeded audio on a 90 Minute feature with 10 tracks? Are you mad???

OMF has an export limit of 2GB in size, that is WAY to large for that. The error isn't showing correctly, should tell you that it can't create a file that big.

Consolidate and LINK to that media. Send the audio house a drive and an OMF that links to the stuff on the drive.

JDS
    So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Sat, Nov 17 2007 10:17 PM In reply to

Jeff,
    I was assuming a 90 min feature would be exported in reels. However, one may still run into file size limits, but AFAIK the Avid will warn you about that, and I don't recall that the error message was anything like error -1.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of consolidating, since it breaks links with the original files.

And you don't need to consolidate to export an external OMF. Either send the post house all your audio media (as I usually do), or use the option to Copy Media to an external drive. You should get a copy of all used audio (with eternal handles) and an OMF linking to that.

However, that last feature is broken. It will consolidate the media rather than copy it, truncating it to the very last used frame, so basically concolidating with ZERO frame handles.

This issue needs to be prioritized, IMHO.
  • Sun, Nov 18 2007 11:24 AM In reply to

I've been having massive problems exporting OMF's and AAF's recently. My workround was to consolidate all the media and convert it to AIFF's in the OMFI export process. All my problems originated from having mixed media (a single PCM file imported from another project). Once all the media had been converted to a single unifed format all the embedded OMFI's I made worked fine on Protools.
    System 1: Macbook Pro Retina2.6Ghz i7 OSX 10.11.6 8gigs RAM Nablet 4.5.5 Media Composer 2018.11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 19 2007 4:53 AM In reply to

• iBite
    • Not Ranked
    • Babelsberg/ Germany
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Dear Jeff, of course we break the sequence down trackwise not to exceed the 2gb limit. But even with a 1 audio track - 5 second sequence we get the same error warning. There are good reasons to create embedded omfs because you can provide the sound facilities with the whole sound tracks in a unbroken and preorganized way. And there still are sound stages that try to avoid AAF to keep their workflow "clean". It is VERY important that this feature will be fixed ASAP.
  • Tue, Nov 20 2007 7:02 AM In reply to

And there still are sound stages that try to avoid AAF to keep their workflow "clean".

I don't disagree with you that OMF export should work, and - if indeed broken - should be fixed. However, I do wonder what is so "unclean" about AAF.

you can provide the sound facilities with the whole sound tracks in a unbroken and preorganized way.

Isn't that true for external OMFs or even AAFs?
  • Tue, Nov 11 2008 8:32 PM In reply to

• pcr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 2 2007
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

I just had the same error when exporting an AAF file of a 2 hour HD show.

It seems the Avid has a bug where it really does not Consolidate & Export in that command. You must FIRST consolidate, THEN export. My first audio segment kept coming out over 3GB, and so did the entire 10 segment show. It was unusable sending to Pro Tools guy. When I consolidated first, it was 256 MB. The entire show, consolidating each segment with 60 frame handles, comes out to 2.7 GB or so.

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac

4 GB Ram

OS X 10.4.11

MC V2.8.3

Filed under: , ,
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller