Latest post Fri, May 6 2011 3:13 AM by mistersq55. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 24 2007 3:44 PM

• dariv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 5 2006
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,275

Trying to understand transition parameters

Can someone please help me? I'm trying to understand the rules for adding quick transitions it seems that between some clips it won't allow me to add a transition, when I hit add quick transition the box comes up with 0 values and does not allow me to change the values. I've had this before but in this instance it is between a title and an image; I have added a similar transition earlier in the project, allbeit over two different video tracks.

I believe I have enough disk space, so why can't I add a transition between these two clips?
    Avid xpress pro v5.5.3 Dell Inspiron 6400 (videoguys tweaked) 80gb hard drive 2gb RAM E:drive 300 gb Deck Varies [view my complete system specs]
    AKA Newbie Wan Kanewbi
  • Wed, Oct 24 2007 3:48 PM In reply to

Re: Trying to understand transition parameters

Sounds like you haven't left "handles" on the clips.  If you want to apply a transition, you can't cut in a clip from the head or tail frames.  You must set your marks inside, leaving sufficient frames as handles.
    Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Oct 24 2007 3:51 PM In reply to

• riojapj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 137
    • Points 1,450

Slip trim both segments away from the transition point and you'll have the media available to position the effect before, on or after the cut.

Peej

MC 8.10.0 Mac Pro (late 2013) CPU - 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 RAM - 64GB DDR3 GFX - AMD FirePro D700 6GB (x2) [view my complete system specs]

Paul

• Wed, Oct 24 2007 3:55 PM In reply to

To ad to this: when putting a title in the timeline from your source monitor nuver put you inpoint in the source monitor at the stat of a clip. Yout titles are standard long enough sor put in a sec or 10 away from the start of the clip. Plenty of handle length that way.
    Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Wed, Oct 24 2007 4:09 PM In reply to

• dariv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,275

thanks guys that worked fine; does that rule only apply to titles and images?
    Avid xpress pro v5.5.3 Dell Inspiron 6400 (videoguys tweaked) 80gb hard drive 2gb RAM E:drive 300 gb Deck Varies [view my complete system specs]
    AKA Newbie Wan Kanewbi
  • Wed, Oct 24 2007 4:11 PM In reply to

No. every transition effect between clips needs frames beyond in and out to be able to mix it one way or another with the frames of the previous or next clip.
    Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Wed, Oct 24 2007 4:17 PM In reply to

• dariv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,275

Ah I see now, I've been told that before, but now I can 'see' it in my mind; thank you.
    AKA Newbie Wan Kanewbi
  • Thu, Oct 25 2007 12:54 AM In reply to

The amount of handle you need to have is at least the length of the transition itself, especially in the case of "centered on the cut" transitions.  For example, a 30 frame "starting at the cut" transition needs no handle on the incoming scene, but needs 30 frames of handle on the outgoing scene.
    Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, May 6 2011 3:13 AM In reply to

My quick transition icon won't even open, just "beeps"....

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller