Latest post Mon, Aug 20 2007 10:16 PM by drsteuss. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 20 2007 6:44 PM

• drsteuss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Waconia, MN
    • Posts 79
    • Points 1,080

What a mess...

I fired up Avid Xpress Pro 5.7 for the day only to find that it wouldn't launch all the way because of a corrupt Creating file. I tried to delete the Creating file (in fact, the whole Creating folder) but was told by the My Computer window that it "Cannot delete creating60: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." Searching the forums, I decided that the simplest solution would be to rename the AvidMediaFiles/MXF/1 folder with the undeletable creating subfolder as "old 1" and move it out of the Avid folder, move all of my media files over to a new folder that I named "1" like the old one was, and start 'er up again. This time, Xpress Pro was able to launch, but my media showed up as offline. I've dealt with that type of problem in the past, so I went into the new "1" folder to delete the msmMMOB and msmFMID files, thinking that they would then be rebuilt upon Avid restart and I'd be good to go. Unfortunately, it now won't allow me to delete or move those files OR move the rest of the media files to a different folder (the thought being that if I couldn't delete the msm files, I'd just move everything else, rename the folder again and have Avid build msm files for the new-new 1 folder.) It tells me "access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." Let's see...the disk is not full, and it won't let me drag it to a completely empty disk either. The disk is not write-protected, although if someone wants to give me a tutorial on checking the ways that it might have become write-protected or think that it is, I'd be happy to learn. The file is not currently in use... I've re-started the computer without firing Avid back up to make sure that is the case.

So now I'm stuck with A) Inaccessible media files, B) un-deletable msmMMOB and msmFMID files, C) un-moveable media files, D) an un-deletable (but moved out of harm's way) 128 meg Creating folder and E) a growing sense of dread. Any help on these issues, specifically the ones that'll get my media accessible and me back to work, would be greatly appreciated!

--Jason

HP ZBook G2 mobile workstation. 32 GB RAM. Intel Quad Core i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.9GHz. NVIDIA Quadro K3100M. Media Composer 8.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 20 2007 6:55 PM In reply to

Re: What a mess...

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Aug 20 2007 7:13 PM In reply to

• drsteuss
    • Not Ranked
    • Waconia, MN
    • Posts 79
    • Points 1,080

Using the info from Kenton's link, I was able to delete my msmMMOB and msmFMID files. When I re-launched Avid, the media still showed as offline. The msmFMID file rebuilt itself, but there's no msmMMOB now. I feel like I'm a step closer to the solution, but am still unable to work. I think I saw a similar thread (one msm file rebuilt, one not) somewhere, so I'll start searching the forums again.
    HP ZBook G2 mobile workstation. 32 GB RAM. Intel Quad Core i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.9GHz. NVIDIA Quadro K3100M. Media Composer 8.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 20 2007 8:21 PM In reply to

• drsteuss
    • Not Ranked
    • Waconia, MN
    • Posts 79
    • Points 1,080

I guess the thread that I saw had the inverse problem that I do...their msmMMOB file was regenerating but the msmFMID wasn't. Still, I tried their solution of disabling all of my antivirus software (in their case, it was detecting msmFMID as a virus and not allowing it to create) but to no avail.

Can anyone offer further suggestions? I don't know if it's the msmMMOB not regenerating that's now the source of my problem or if it's something else. Is there another way to force Avid to acknowledge what's on my media drive? I've never understood the relink function (at least I've never had it actually relink anything) but it would seem like that should be the answer here...but it hasn't worked for me. I'm still stuck right now.

• Mon, Aug 20 2007 9:07 PM In reply to

So let's get down to basics...

Is your media OMF or MXF?

If OMF, is it located at the root level of the drive inside OMFI MediaFiles folder?  (ie X:\OMFI MediaFiles) If MXF, the location is X:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1

Anything other location will not allow Avid to see the media, therefore it won't rebuild databases.

Secondly, is it possible you have some corrupt media?  Can you create a folder on the same drive and move all your media files into it? (Avid won't see this media at all), Re-launch the app and import Sample.mov from C:\Program Files\Quicktime this will hopefully rebuild some database files for you.  If it doesn't then you don't have corrupted media, you have a write permissions issue.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Aug 20 2007 9:08 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

Just make sure the media is all in the folder (driveletter):\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 (or 2 or 3 or...) Avid will see those files and rebuild on that.

Menno
    35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Mon, Aug 20 2007 9:13 PM In reply to

Hello.

When I needed to regenerate my msmMMOB file, I did the following:

1. Renamed the folder OMFI MediaFiles to OMFI MediaFilesOLD

2. Using the capture utility, I captured a one second clip.  This caused a new OMFI MediaFiles folder to be created. This folder contained the required msmMMOB file.

3. Then I was able to move all the media files from the old folder to the new folder.

Perhaps you might try doing steps one and two and then take a look in your OMFI MediaFiles folder and see if the msmMMOB file was created successfully. If so, then you might move all your media into the new folder. 

Good luck.

d. All of the above

• Mon, Aug 20 2007 10:16 PM In reply to

• drsteuss
    • Not Ranked
    • Waconia, MN
    • Posts 79
    • Points 1,080

Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I ended up pulling one of the old "1" folders back out of the recycle bin and pulled all of the media (now with "all" checked in the permissions) back into that one. It might have been the original "1" folder...I think I created the first duplicate folder with a different name, dragged stuff over, then deleted the "1" folder and renamed the new folder as "1". So Avid may have just REALLY wanted to read media out of that original folder, even though the naming conventions were the same for all folders thereafter... at any rate, I'm up and running again. I may be posting again shortly under a new topic if I can't get this darn media to consolidate over to a client's external drive...but that's another matter. For now, as always, thanks to the whole forum!
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller