Latest post Wed, Sep 5 2007 3:36 PM by Doc Avid. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 20 2007 4:05 PM

• dunkel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 16 2007
    • Cologne/Germany
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

6 TB limitation with EX and ZX

Hi Folks,
    just a short question about any  HD-space limitation when using LanShare EX.
    We have a Lanshare EX 3.5.5  with fifteen 250 gig drives.
    As we needed more drive space, our avid dealer came up with a fc-raid  containing eight 500 gig drives. The problem is, that they only were able to add four of the drives to the existing drive set.

I guess I read here something about the LanShare EX being maxed out with 4TB in it, when you add a Media Array ZX chassis you can add another 2TB. So 6TB is the limit.
    I that right, is there a kind of a softwarelimitation?
    Thanx in advance.

darko
    4 MC 2.7.2 | 2 MCA | 2 MC Mojo | 18 XPress Pro 5.2.4 | LanShare Ex | [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 20 2007 4:37 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

Re: 6 TB limitation with EX and ZX

You will only be able to add 1 ZX storage chassis.  2TB, 180 gig drives. 

You have 15 drives in your lanshare chassis?  Are you Running mirrored?  You do know that you need an even amount of drives in the allocation group for mirroring to work!  You should have 1 spare now too.  I would have 14 drives in the group, 2 spare.  Do this for both chassis, 14 in a group, 2 spare.

Max ver. for a EX is 4.1.5, 4TB 250 gig Maxtor in the Lanshare Chassis

ZX is 2TB 180 gig Maxtor. 

Thats it, 6TB, 10,000 folders, 250,000 files, thats the limit.

Jay
    ISIS 5500 - 240 Tb HPZ840 - MC 8.4.5 XDCAM HD - XDCAM EX - HDCAM -- HDCAM SR [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 20 2007 4:57 PM In reply to

Small clarification:  16 x 180GB's is 2.8TB's, bringing the total to 6.8TB's.
    Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Aug 20 2007 5:14 PM In reply to

• dunkel
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne/Germany
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

Thank you Jason for the super quick reply.
    I´m not running mirrored, but you are right I should get a spare drive anyway.
    The fc-storage chassis my Avid dealer sold me isn´t really a Avid Media Array ZX.
    It´s just a custom configured fc-storage chassis with eight 500 gig drives.
    They were just able to add 4 of the 8 drives into a new allocation group to the existing drive set.
    It took them 3 attempts to figure out that there must be a limitation.
    I just wanted to be sure that they are not talking nonsense to me. Thank you.

darko
    4 MC 2.7.2 | 2 MCA | 2 MC Mojo | 18 XPress Pro 5.2.4 | LanShare Ex | [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 26 2007 8:30 AM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

If they sold you a non-Avid chassis to add on to a Lanshare, then they're talking more then nonsense to you

Flee. Get another reseller, these people are idiotic to the point of dangerous.

JDS
    So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Wed, Aug 29 2007 11:23 AM In reply to

• dunkel
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne/Germany
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

... well that´s not so easy here in cologne germany. anyway I´m usually happy with my reseller. the non-Avid chassis works fine, except that I can´t use all 8 drives.
    they told me now, that there is a limitation with the 3.5.5 version of my LanShare - it supports just a bit over 6TB, and version 4.1.5 about 8TB. so they want me to switch to version 4.2.3 which would mean to copy all my data because of the different block size. guess I´ll give it a try.
    Thank you anyway Jeff.

darko
  • Wed, Aug 29 2007 2:22 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

Well, your going to have do more than just save your data and metadata.  4.2.x is built on 4BG tech.  your EX is 2GB tech.  Your going to have issues with the phisical hardware.  Anyway, the EX is made to add one additional ZX storage chassis to it and thats it.  The ZX chassis come with 180 gig drives.  The Lanshare comes with 250 gig drives, so your total is just over 6tb, thats it.  You want 8?, get an LP.

Jay
    ISIS 5500 - 240 Tb HPZ840 - MC 8.4.5 XDCAM HD - XDCAM EX - HDCAM -- HDCAM SR [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 29 2007 3:19 PM In reply to

• dunkel
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne/Germany
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

thank you for the info Jay, regarding the hardware do you mean the fc-card?
    does that mean, that the 4.2.x version won´t work on my old LanShare hardware?

darko
  • Wed, Aug 29 2007 3:40 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

U got it buddy, the FC cards in the EX are 2GB.  You would need to change them out for 4GB ones.  I heard a horror story from my ACSR who had a client in the area here who went to 4.2.x on an EX and in the middle of it, figured out that he should have called an ACSR and read through the release notes.  They were down for a couple of days because they had to get new FC cards, OUCH.

A question for Jeff and the rest of the Unity people, am I right in saying that 4.1.5 is the last update that will be on the EX side of LanShare?  Unless you are going to swap out hardware and such.  It would be easier to just retire the EX and get an LP.

Hope this helps.

Jay
  • Wed, Aug 29 2007 4:08 PM In reply to

• dunkel
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne/Germany
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

This helps a lot. Thanx again Jay!

darko
  • Wed, Aug 29 2007 4:13 PM In reply to

• MHV TV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 22 2007
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

to anybody who needs an update:

http://www.archion.com/products/synergyhd/index.html

and yes there are limitations regarding the size of storage and lanshare version
    this only affects "Unity Lanshare"
    If you want to save money and need real data protection take a look at the link

Jasonsaro , off course you do not need to swap your 2gb fc hbas with 4gb ones.
    take a look in the profiler when installing 4.2.3

More green is not possible

• Wed, Aug 29 2007 5:59 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

Ok, first off, "more green is not possible"  What does that mean?

In  LanShare Land:

4.2.3 is 4 Gig only for an attached ZX storage chassis or extra storage, MC Adrenaline and Symphony Nitris.  The Meridien systems are supported on 4.2 with 2 Gig technology.  You can try and run your MCA and SN on a 2Gig card, but thats not supported, and your on your own.  Dont call avid when there are throughput issues. 

Now, as for Unity:  This is from the 4.2.3 release notes (page 9):

Unsupported Hardware
    The following list a few hardware components that is not supported in the Avid Unity
    MediaNetwork v4.2.x environment:
    • 2 GB switches
    • 2 GB storage
    • 2 GB MEDIArray ZX chassis

So, by saying that 4.2.x is only an issue with 2GB FC and hardware in only the Lanshare family is wrong, it is an issue in the Unity family as well. 

All LP Lanshare's and the new Media Array LP are running on 4.2.x and are 4GB.

The reasong Avid is still revising and producing the 4.1.x version of MediaNet is because of the 2GB hardware and Block size within it.  We need this for the EX series.

Also, what does the profiler have to do with it?  After the system is totally set up and running, then you can go into the profiller to look at ver. numbers and supported configs of the current system setup only.  How would anyone look at the profiller of a LanShare running 4.1.4 or 4.1.5 and see if they could go to 4.2.x?  Now i see that you say when installing it take a look, honestly, im not taking that chance, installing 4.2.3 on a LanShare EX with 2GB cards in it, didnt you see my last post about a company who did do that?  Very bad on their end, they had to go out and get 4GB cards.

"We have a Lanshare EX 3.5.5  with fifteen 250 gig drives."  Is his original post with his question on how much he can add.  The profiller in 3.5.5 would tell him nothing about 4.2.3

As for archion, looks like a good product, but i wouldnt attach it to a system such as Unity.  I understand your price issue with it being cheaper and all, but whats the drive replacement procedure?  Are they going to send you a drive overnight, or maybe from flash logistics in a pinch, to get you up and running fast?  Or, are they going to have you send it back, have their engineers diagnose the issue, then about a week later send you a replacement.  In short, if you are running a Lanshare or Unity enviornment, you spent a ton of money to get that far, dont cheap out when it comes to expanding it.  Stay Avid.  You'l get the support and the performance.

This is in no way trying to start one of those "my system is better than your's" fight, i dont want that.  All im saying is he asked a very simple question, we gave it to him, and all the sudden its turning into a sales pitch.  Believe me, ive been reading the release notes for every version on MediaNet that has came out since 4.1.x to see what the next level i can take my box too.  This is why i can sit here and tell you that you will have to swap out FC's on an EX for MCA, JBOD's, ans SN.  Im stopping at 4.1.4 for now. 

Jay

• Tue, Sep 4 2007 5:32 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

4.1.5 is the last update for 2GB. You can upgrade ZX chassis to 4GIG, and run 4.2.x However LP is easier, larger in space, and smaller in rack footprint.

JDS
    So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Tue, Sep 4 2007 8:19 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

Nice.

Thanks Jeff for the post, good to see I was thinking on the right track with this one. 

Jay
  • Wed, Sep 5 2007 3:36 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

MHV TV:
    to anybody who needs an update:

http://www.archion.com/products/synergyhd/index.html

and yes there are limitations regarding the size of storage and lanshare version
    this only affects "Unity Lanshare"
    If you want to save money and need real data protection take a look at the link

Jasonsaro , off course you do not need to swap your 2gb fc hbas with 4gb ones.
    take a look in the profiler when installing 4.2.3

More green is not possible

It was said on the floor at NAB this year that Avid intends to break what Archion uses. After watching battles with Transoft in the 90's, there would be NO POINT TO GOING WITH ARCHION STORAGE.

I'm not interested in the next upgrade making all my storage fail.

And don't need 4GB HBA's when you go to 4.2? What exactly are you smoking?

JDS

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller