Latest post Sun, Aug 19 2007 3:32 PM by Baklap. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 17 2007 6:09 AM

• Aristi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 17 2007
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

.AVI in Avid

Hi to all. I need to capture video trough Avid with Mojo and then take the captured files to another NLE system. Most PC NLE's (Like Vegas or Premiere) work with .AVI files as the best quality video but AVID doesn't. I need to capture with Avid and then take the files to another system. What can I do?

-How to create .AVI files in Avid beyond the software 2GB limit?
    -Or is it posible to confugure Avid Mojo to work with Vegas or Premiere?
    The main point is that I need to capture with Mojo but I need to manipulate the files in Vegas or Premiere as .AVI files. Any codec to do this or to make the other NLE's can read the OMFI files Avid creates?

Thanks a lot for any help, I really need it.

• Fri, Aug 17 2007 11:09 AM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

Re: .AVI in Avid

"How to create .AVI files in Avid beyond the software 2GB limit?"

Export from Avid in QT REF then encode via a compression program to .AVI

"Or is it posible to confugure Avid Mojo to work with Vegas or Premiere?"

No.

"Any codec to do this or to make the other NLE's can read the OMFI files Avid creates?"

Not that I know of...

Is there a reason you need to capture via Mojo and then edit in another NLE?  You really are adding an un-needed step and, ultimately, further compression.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Fri, Aug 17 2007 1:16 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

can't those other take quicktime?

Menno
    35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Fri, Aug 17 2007 7:45 PM In reply to

Aristi,

Out of curiosity, why are you not able to use the system running Premiere to do the capture as .AVI?

d. All of the above

• Sun, Aug 19 2007 2:26 AM In reply to

• Aristi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 17 2007
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Thanks to all.

Ok. The source material is Betacam. The Avid room with a Betacam player is in a TV chanel. I'm working in a project with them so I've got to capture there (best quality analog capture via Mojo), save the files in a portable hard disk and take it to my place and do some editing in Vegas (My PC has not analog inputs and I don't have a Betacam player in my room)

I know I'm adding a step, but does it means necessarily further compression? Because all this thing is out of my hands and I need to satablish a workflow (cheap & soon).  Now, if  as you said I export from Avid in QT REF then encode via a compression program to .AVI, what kind of footage it will be? Bad quality compared to uncompressed .AVI? 

Besides that question I can tell you I have to manage a lot of video, like 20 hours. So, can you talk me about the exporting time?

I know Vegas handles QT (.mov files), but what kind of QT I will need to export from Avid to do this not losing qality: QT alone or QT REF? And again is the exporting time issue...

I need to do something, any ideas?

Thanks for your help

• Sun, Aug 19 2007 12:01 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400

Well if the source is Beta-SP and captured 1:1 then a QT animation codec or uncompressed would be the best way. You might want to experiment with that though first.. do some exports with different field orders and see what remains best after import in Vegas.

Menno
    35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

My Keys

• Sun, Aug 19 2007 3:28 PM In reply to

I would say just rent a Beta deck and capture it straight into Vegas or Premiere through an A->D converter.

It'll save you a lot of time...  as it stands now you plan to

Capture through Mojo into Avid.
    Export each captured clip as a QT with "None" or "Animation" codec
    Then copy (if necessary) the exports to your hard drive.
    and then Import the files, just to be able to start working on them.

Plus you'll have all the disadvantages of dealing with file-based clips (ie no TC, large storage requirements)

Either rent a deck and connect to your system, or edit on the Avid. 

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Aug 19 2007 3:32 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400

lol yeah.. also a good option Smile

Menno

Twitter Account

My Keys

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller