Latest post Fri, Aug 3 2007 2:05 PM by LHMScott. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 26 2007 10:00 AM

• LHMScott
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 13
    • Points 165

Difficulties in capturing HD from camera

I am using Avid 5.2.1 on a Dell Dimension M90, with all specs matching Avid's recommended hardware.  I am using a small hand-held Canon HD camcorder to do most of my HD capturing.  I find that in many cases, capture will stop for no apparent reason (no detectable timecode breaks, although it often happens at a scene change).  I'll usually get the Discard/Keep message box when it does stop capturing.  To compound the problem, the camera continues to roll (despite selecting the options to have camera pause when capture pauses), so even if I didn't mind having a five or ten separate clips created per tape, I still don't have any way of backtracking to the original stop point, without either doing math, or babysitting the capture process at all times.  Anyone else having similar problems, and if so, is there a fix?  Is the problem with the camera, or with Avid?  Thanks!
  • Thu, Jul 26 2007 10:30 AM In reply to

Re: Difficulties in capturing HD from camera

Have you ticked the "capture across timecode breaks" box  in the capture settings?
    MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 26 2007 1:11 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

LHMScott:
    even if I didn't mind having a five or ten separate clips created per tape, I still don't have any way of backtracking to the original stop point

If the capture stops but you have selected Keep you will have the out time of your last capture available to you.  Highlight the out time of the last clip in the bin and press Ctrl-C to copy it.  Then click on the in time in the capture tool and type Ctrl-V.  Continue to digitise from where you left off, no maths required.  Or have I missed the point?

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 26 2007 2:35 PM In reply to

• itmatters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 23 2006
    • Posts 333
    • Points 4,000

LHMScott:
    I am using Avid 5.2.1 on a Dell Dimension M90, with all specs matching Avid's recommended hardware.  I am using a small hand-held Canon HD camcorder to do most of my HD capturing.  ...  Anyone else having similar problems, and if so, is there a fix?  Is the problem with the camera, or with Avid?  Thanks!

I'd blame it on canon. what do they know about editing anyway? Here's what i did when i had similar problems and luckily i skated by:

use HIDE to minimize the composer window during capture- if you are playing back from a camcorder you still have your screen available. Next, try using a different canon machine template i had success with "XL2". Which camera are you playing back from and were there other HDV cameras involved?

• Thu, Jul 26 2007 7:49 PM In reply to

• dennislink
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Denver
    • Posts 348
    • Points 4,035

I have had similar problems with my Sony HVR-Z1U camera.  This camera has a QUICKREC function that must be turned off to solve the problems.  I think it is something to do with a break in the control track that causes the issue.

Good Luck.

Core Duo 2.4 GHz 2GB RAM nVidia Quadro FX 550 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 27 2007 1:13 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

To put this in context, here is a truism from the computer industry - historically after any new hardware or software "breakthrough" there is typically a delay of around one to two years before full support is implemented.

What Avid and other developers is facing here is not one but a plethora of new formats, new codecs, and new equipment to control.  To meet users needs they must prioritise their development schedules to meet the needs of the highest profile systems first.

This doesn't mean that there will an additional eighteen month delay for every new piece of equipment or every new HD format, but there will be delays.  Different manufacturers will have different priorities.  If Avid doesn't meet your needs but Adobe, Canopus, Apple or Sony, for example, does, then buy their product instead.

Just don't needlessly abuse a company that's doing its best to keep up with the product churn in the marketplace.  Like itmatters, in this case I'd be inclined to put as much blame on Canon as on Avid.
    MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 27 2007 2:52 PM In reply to

I've experienced the same while capturing from a Sony UVW1800 Betacam SP deck.  Many of our tapes are almost ten years old and we've concluded that the issue has to do with the control track because the timecode on these tapes is continuous.  In some cases, tapes have been restriped but the same interruption during capture takes place.

Good luck with your HD issue.

d. All of the above

• Fri, Aug 3 2007 2:05 PM In reply to

• LHMScott
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 165

Thanks to all for the info & suggestions.  Now I've got a base of possibilities to try.  Cheers!

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller