Latest post Mon, Oct 9 2017 3:50 PM by GAE-UMinho. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 12 2007 12:47 AM

• jdbrewer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 2 2006
    • Salt Lake City, Utah
    • Posts 53
    • Points 875

SpectraMatte Foreground Color Correction

I am trying to color correct the ouput of my SpectraMatte key.  More specifically, I'm trying to remove all the chroma from the foreground image.  How is this done?

The Ultimatte tool on my Meridien Symphony has the ability to Match Foreground with HSL controls as well as Gamma, Gain, etc. that only affect the output of the key, and NOT the background.

Is this funtionallity completely gone in Spectramatte?  If so, how are people compensating for color balance issues and/or stylizing the foreground against the background?

Thanks for the help.

-Jd

Dual Boot Symphony/DS Nitris [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 12 2007 1:26 AM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

Re: SpectraMatte Foreground Color Correction

This is what I do when Ultimatte isn't available:

V1.  Background

V2.  Footage you're keying.  Apply a Color Effect or Color Correction or the effect of your choice to desaturate it or otherwise color correct it to your liking.  Don't add a Spectramatte effect.

V3.  Footage you're keying (same as V2), but without the color effects--instead, with the Spectramatte effect on it. Pull your key, then set it Show Alpha (or Show Matte--I'm not at a system, can't remember).  This will give you a black and white image only--your Matte!

Collapse V2 and V3 together and drag (don't Alt+Drag, just drag) a matte key effect.  Done!

Mike.

• Thu, Jul 12 2007 5:22 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,730

One of the things I really miss about Ultimatte in Meridien. For what it's worth, I've begged for this from the powers that be.
    Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Jul 12 2007 5:40 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 338
    • Points 4,175

I agree, too, that we miss the Ultimatte/Meridien combo. The suggestion as above is what we've been doing, too, although oftentimes the BCC chroma key has more detail that the Spectramatte. What happened to Ultimatte -- did Avid just not want to licence their technology anymore?
    Avid MC 8.10 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Thu, Jul 12 2007 5:57 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

Apparently Ultimatte was licensed and installed as a realtime option via hardware in the Meridien days, right? 

We have it on our Xpress Meridien as a software plugin.  It's still available to buy as software.  You can find it here:

www.ultimatte.com

Michael.

• Fri, Nov 9 2007 6:17 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,730

This is one of the things I miss about Ultimatte. It gave you the ability to color correct the foreground and background separately.

For now, you can also use BCC which came free with your system. Apply the Chroma keyer and pull your key. In the title section, select begin effect. Alt drag the BCC color correction effect on top. In the title section, select end effect. There is a way to tell it to use the matte which I believe is in the section called PC source. (This is foggy as I'm not at a system right now).

Color to your hearts content and it will only affect the foreground.

The stacking of BCC effects using the "begin, middle, and end" modes allow you to do all kinds of interacting between the effects. You can also select mattes from several layers below.

Caveat, you will RENDER. :-(
    Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, Jul 22 2009 10:03 PM In reply to

Hi!

This techniques works fine, except that you loose the ability to supress the spill inside the chroma key effect. How do you work around that?

Thanx,

Annaël

• Fri, Jul 1 2011 8:24 PM In reply to

Yes it works better than the chroma key.  I am having a problem as I shot a Judge behind a green screen talking about domestic violence.  When i try to key her in Spectramatte it keys pretty good but then is video distortion under her lip and on her forehead.  It was shot with a Canon 1d and it looks a little hot on her face.  Any suggestions to correct the hot spots either in the color correction tool or Spectramatte.-Thank You

xw8400 4 gigs ram, fx 1500 composer 6.0 Avid DVD, AVID FX windows 7 [view my complete system specs]

RS

Filed under:
  • Thu, Oct 6 2016 6:39 PM In reply to

• Jonas Cox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 9 2015
    • Springfield, MA
    • Posts 23
    • Points 275

Thank you!  Works great. (even 9 years after you wrote the post)

-Jonas

If in doubt, right-click.

MC 8.9 on Dell 7910 (Windows 7 Professional),with Nitris DX and ISIS [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 9 2017 3:50 PM In reply to

• GAE-UMinho
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

Excelent tip Mike. Yes

Thank you very much.

I wish Avid had a more straightforward eay to do this, though. Sad

Media Composer 2018.8; Pro Tools 2018.4; Windows 10; HP Z440 - Xeon 6 core - 3,6 GHz - 32 GB RAM; nVidia Quadro P2000; Promise Pegasus2 R4 8TB [view my complete system specs]

Miguel Cunha
    Teach Support Office
    Universidade do Minho
    Braga
    Portigal

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller