Latest post Tue, Jun 25 2013 9:55 AM by Matiss. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 6 2007 5:25 PM

I can't import .avi files! HELP!

When I try importing .avi files, it says that the file type is not supported. I've tried all kinds of codecs, compressed, and uncompressed, but nothing works.
    Somebody else had a similar problem. It was fixed with some tweaks to the administrative options. I tried this, but it didn't work.
    Any ideas?
  • Wed, Jun 6 2007 5:28 PM In reply to

Re: I can't import .avi files! HELP!

Hi,

This is almost always a codec issue.  How were the AVI files made?  Do you know what codec was used?

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jun 6 2007 5:52 PM In reply to

Well, I've never been able to import any codec of .avi, even those I exported in Avid. We've tried tons of different ones, so maybe it'd be easier if somebody just told me what codecs are supported.
  • Wed, Jun 6 2007 6:02 PM In reply to

Hi,

Well, the only ones I know for a fact are supported in Xpress DV are "animation" and "Avid DV."  I'm sure there are others, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

If we knew more about your workflow (like what program you're using to create the AVIs, for example), we might be able to provide better answers.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Wed, Jun 6 2007 6:30 PM In reply to

Ok, currently we are trying to get some video off a DVD. We used DVDFab. That creates an .avi with an XVID codec. That didn't work so we got a converter called AVS Video Tools. We tried converting to .avi with codecs uncompressed, XVID, and DIVX. None work. We have also tried numorous other types of AVI made with different programs, including Avid itself.
  • Wed, Jun 6 2007 8:06 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,328
    • Points 60,150
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

I'd convert to Quicktime before importing into Avid. Avid prefers QT anyway.
    Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 6 2007 9:48 PM In reply to

Invader Quirk:
    we are trying to get some video off a DVD

Get MPEG StreamClip or Cinematize

Create a QuickTime.

Import.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Jun 6 2007 10:22 PM In reply to

I got what I needed off the DVD the long way, but I'd really like to fix the problem rather than work around it.
  • Wed, Jun 6 2007 10:29 PM In reply to

Using QuickTime is not a workaround.  It's the solution. 

Avid uses AVI-type 1, which has a 2GB file size limit, this is a limitation of the AVI spec.  AVI and Avid don't really have a good relationship. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jun 7 2007 6:50 AM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

Invader Quirk:
    we are trying to get some video off a DVD

Get MPEG StreamClip or Cinematize

Hi,

I second this.  I've used Cinematize to convert DVD video to Quicktime for Avid import, and it works perfectly.

good luck,
    Carl

• Sun, Jun 10 2007 9:05 PM In reply to

• tola
    • Not Ranked
    • Crete, Greece
    • Posts 70
    • Points 790

V basic question here, but.. i gather cinematize does the same with films stored on hard drives as well (doesnt have to be on dvd?)?
    Am asking as am about to purchase, but want to be sure will help with what i need now.
    (oh, question 2: will cinematize 2 do it or should i be looking at the pro version?)

Excellent thread, posted just in time before i put up my own similar one. Thanks guys!!
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU - X5450 @ 3.00GHz (2 processors), 4,00 GB RAM, 64-bit Operating System, NVIDIA GeForce 8800, Windows 7, Avid Media Composer v.3.0... [view my complete system specs]

Tola

• Sun, Jun 10 2007 9:55 PM In reply to

Hi Tola,

Cinematize specifically converts the file types that you find on DVD video discs.

What file types do you have on your hard drive?

good luck,
    Carl

• Sun, Jun 10 2007 10:00 PM In reply to

• tola
    • Not Ranked
    • Crete, Greece
    • Posts 70
    • Points 790

Hey Carl!
    Under properties they're described as movie clips or video clips. Accepting any lessons as to how to break down into further details/! (they;re downloaded films onto hard-drive, open normally in Media player)
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU - X5450 @ 3.00GHz (2 processors), 4,00 GB RAM, 64-bit Operating System, NVIDIA GeForce 8800, Windows 7, Avid Media Composer v.3.0... [view my complete system specs]

Tola

• Sun, Jun 10 2007 10:50 PM In reply to

• tola
    • Not Ranked
    • Crete, Greece
    • Posts 70
    • Points 790

ok
    think getting the pro version is a must, and here's hoping that the movie/video clips open easily enough!

Thanks!

Tola

• Mon, Jun 11 2007 8:34 AM In reply to

Hi Tola,

I meant are they Quicktime movies or Windows Media Player movies or AVI files or some other file type?  Depending on what file types they are, Cinematize may not be what you need.

good luck,
    Carl

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller