Latest post Wed, Jun 27 2007 8:53 PM by clocksnmirrors. 21 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 11 2006 4:50 AM In reply to

• MIkeFilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 24 2006
    • Posts 262
    • Points 3,500

Re: Cature aborted due to lack of progress error

• Thu, May 11 2006 3:33 PM In reply to

Yeah standard def capture seems fairly solid on 5.2.4 with my machine.
    Click on Web Address [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 14 2006 11:41 PM In reply to

• MIkeFilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 24 2006
    • Posts 262
    • Points 3,500

I think this is something to do with the dual xeon.

I have a pentium setup and a xeon setup (trying to get it going)

Cinema I get the same error only on  my xeon  not on my pentium.

was running 4,6 with mojo moved to 5,21 and will be updating to

the latest version  of avid.

I felt that 5,21 was a solid version that's why I never updated.(actually

wait before I update)

thanks

Mike

• Thu, Jul 13 2006 5:37 PM In reply to

• lbergonia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 15 2006
    • Posts 36
    • Points 480

Just an update note. I experienced this is 5.2.4 and still experience the error after a 5.5.1 upgrade.

No matter how you setup TC, drop/nondrop frame the error will be thrown when Avid sees blank tape. I have taken to the practice of trying not to review footage prior to capture and/or cueing the tape to overwrite the last few frames of existing footage on new scenes/locations/etc.

It might only be an HDV problem - I haven't experimented with an older SD deck.

XPro 5.5.1 CPU: HP xw6200, Dual Xeon 3.4G/2MB, 2MB Video Card: NVIDIA QUADPRO FX 1400 PCI Express x16 128MB NVidia 67.22 SIIG Firewire QT: 7.0.4 WMP: 9 500GB Internal SATA-300 Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB Sony DCR-TRV320 NTSC, HVR-A1U
  • Thu, Jul 13 2006 6:00 PM In reply to

I captured 20 HDV tapes over the weekend into Premiere Pro using my M10U deck without a single dropped frame or problem. I tried capturing the same tapes on the same machine using the same deck into Xpress Pro 5.5 (just to see if capturing got any better) and gave up because I was getting the same type of results as I always see; e.g. quits capturing at random times for no apparent reason, but the footage is fine.

I always thought you should just expect HDV to capture flaky. My jaw just about hit the table when I watched Premiere Pro capture for 20 hours straight without a single problem or dropped frame. I've never seen Xpress Pro come close to capturing that well Wink [;)] (In Avid's defense, Premiere Pro's scene detection with HDV doesn't work... luckily I don't use it.)

There is a capture tool called AspectHD from Cineform that I tried using as well on the same hardware and tapes and it had nothing but problems.

I still believe the capture problems are more software issues and not hardware or capture media issues...

Click on Web Address [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 27 2007 7:08 PM In reply to

• malthus101
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,030

This is happening to me using 5.2.4

Any idea how to be rid of it? I will continue to trawl the forums...

Malthus101
    Xpress Pro HD v5.2.4: Dell Pentium 4, 2.53Ghz, XP Pro SP3, 1Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce FX5500 GPU Media Composer v3.0: Custom Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.40Ghz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 27 2007 8:53 PM In reply to

I have experienced a similar problem capturing from our UVW-1800 through the MOJO on 4.6.  The capture would fail randomly at different times whether timecode was selected on or off.  Our problem turned out to be the external firewire drive that we were capturing to.  We had four 1TB LaCie drives daisy chained on one port of our ADS Pyro card which all worked fine.  There were three additional drives daisy chained on a different port.  One of these drives captured without ever failing.  The other two drives failed randomly.

We did some troubleshooting down to hooking up each of the seven drives individually with no other drives connected.  The five drives that worked, worked every time.  The other two drives continued to fail.  In addition to receiving an error message which I do not recall, the light on the front of the drive would flash quickly and the drive was no longer accessible without turning it off and on again.  LaCie Tech Support seemed to feel that the drives were bad drives so they are being replaced.

Is it possible that the problem is with the drive you are capturing to?

Good luck.

Robert

d. All of the above

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller