Latest post Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:47 PM by Nick. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 4 2007 5:09 PM In reply to

• iedjie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 236
    • Points 2,740

Re: full screen video ''instability''

This problem sounds like the typical "Interlaced/Progressive" case. When showing interlaced footage on a progressive monitor you see "motion artifacts" because it shows two fields at the same time. When the camera has panned, one field, (half of the image, for example the even lines) is shifted a bit towards the even lines in the right or left direction. Same as when the background is steady but someone moves over the screen. This person gets jagged edges, because on the (un)even lines the person has allready moved on in time.
    LCD monitors for computers are progressive. In Avid's FSP settings, deselect the "show both fields" setting and it should be gone. Or buy a more expensive LCD or Plasma TELEVISION which accepts interlaced signals.
    mobo MSI P55-GD65, CPU Intel i5-750 @ 3.2 Ghz, memory G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D 2x4GB, Videocard Nvidia Quadro FX 3700, PSU OCZ 500MXSP, Harddisks; Crucial... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 4 2007 5:28 PM In reply to

iedjie:
    Or buy a more expensive LCD or Plasma TELEVISION which accepts interlaced signals.

I hooked up my Toshiba 42" 1920x1080 LVD display (Television) hoping to use it as client monitor in FSP and I have the same problems everyone else has mentioned. Any time the camera pans, the image kind of flips along, trying to catch up.

So I visited a guy I occasionally work with in another state recently and saw his FCP setup. He was projecting right out of his system onto an 80" screen and the results were stunning, absolutely theater quality. Why can't we do this with Avid? Isn't there any way?

MC 7.0.2 iMac 4Ghz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.10.3, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, Retina 5k 27" + Dell 24", Flanders Scientific LM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 4 2007 5:31 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

We've seen this problem on PAL systems but all of our NTSC machines are solid.

Mostly has to do with the 60 hz setting on today's flat screens.

Are you working in PAL or NTSC? What monitors do you have? Do you have the 75hz option?
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Sep 5 2007 5:53 PM In reply to

• fiendish
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 512
    • Points 6,275

I work primarily at 25fps on a Dell 24" and see this artifacting in full screen mode. Have just found the BenQ FP241W though which in the manual claims to do 75hz at 1920x1200.

http://www.benq.co.uk/products/LCD/?product=636

It's only about £40 more than the new Dell so think I will try it.

z840 dual E5-2667v3@3.20GHz / 32GB ram / Quadro M5000 / MC 2019.12 i7-2600k Home Build / 8GB ram / MC 2018.12 xw8600 Dual Quad 3ghz - MC 5.0.4. on Win... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 3 2007 6:33 AM In reply to

• MyGoodEye
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 28
    • Points 340

Yes, there is a way and it's a pretty easy one overall...

Either :

Use your second video output in CLONE mode (modify full-screen video settings) with FULL SCREEN video or

Add an additional NVIDIA PCI card to your existing setup.  I've done with with Quadro and now with an NVIDIA 7950 and, using the dual-head capability of the 7950/Quadro, I can output full screen video in SD and HD resolutions to just about anything I have that will accept video input (a projector, an HDTV). 

In fact, you can also play DVDs and Windows Media PLayer/VLC to your 80' projector... ask your FCP guy if he can do that ;)

You will NOT NEED to set AVID XPRESS in Full Screen mode for this to work.  It's the card handling the output, not the Avid...

I've posted on this a number of times today becuase I just spend three infuriating days trying to update my computer from the Quadro to something more recent.  Look for my username : mygoodeye for more details.

In brief:  NVIDIA not ATI.  Anything in the GeForce X6000 or X7000 series, NOT x8000.  I assume Quadros work, but I have not tested the newer ones.

The main card drives MONITOR 1 and the CLIENT MONITOR.  The PCI card drives MONITOR 2 for a two monitor desktop config.

Best.

David Brodsky
    www.mgenyc.com

Your Humble Narrator... David Brodsky MyGoodEye : Music Videos and All That Crap New York, NY www.mgenyc.com
  • Wed, Oct 3 2007 6:56 AM In reply to

Unfortunately 75hz will not help you. In fact i am seeing better results in pal with a refresh rate of 60hz (rather than 75)!

The trick is to make sure your FSP is on the SAME monitor as your composer windows (ie: hiding the composer).

Once I did this, coupled with FSP locked, the results are almost perfectly smooth video. I imagine a reresh of 50hz exactly would help just that bit more, but it pretty darn close to perfect now. Give it a try.
    Windows XP32 SP2 Intel Pentium D950 3.4GHz Dual-core (OC to 3.83GHz) Asus P5LD2-Deluxe Mobo, Onboard Realtek Audio and TI based IEEE1394 Nvidia QuadroFX... [view my complete system specs]
    (- =) Joe
  • Mon, Feb 25 2008 12:06 AM In reply to

• bannerman
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 63
    • Points 780

Well, just to revive this once more.  After a lot of research I did manage to at least find the proper term for this.  It's call "image tearing."  -- at least that's what it is in most cases.  There is no cure that I can find.  And I don't know why it only effects some people.  People who haven't see it can't really imagine what we're talking about.  And it has NOTHING to do with interlacing, PAL, NTSC etc... 

One "quick fix" is to type FSP LOCKED into your console in avid.  That locks vertical sync, but it will often cause stutters on playback. 

If you do a search for image tearing, you'll find more.  Here are a few sites.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frame_display_timing
    http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/2644.htm

sorry, not a lot of good news here.  very frustrating.
  • Mon, Feb 25 2008 2:20 AM In reply to

I switched my FSP to a 24" Dell HC monitor and upraded to an FX3500 card. Now I have FSP in green mode with HD timelines, no tearing, no freezing. An occasional stutter depending on render status. Now I use FSP all the time.

I posted months ago in this thread about my Toshiba 42" LCD. I took it back and got a Plasma instead... much improved, no motion artifacts like the LCD. But the only way I can view an image on the Plasma is to output from my M25 deck, can't watch that directly out ot Avid.
    MC 7.0.2 iMac 4Ghz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.10.3, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, Retina 5k 27" + Dell 24", Flanders Scientific LM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 25 2008 2:28 AM In reply to

• bannerman
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 63
    • Points 780

Image tearing is not caused by slow systems - at least not always.  That's what makes it so mysterious.  I've run FSP on much slower systems (and uncertified systems) with no problems.  Yet on a completely certified faster system, it's a mess. 
  • Mon, Feb 25 2008 2:54 PM In reply to

I assume you have "Flip on vertical sync" checked.. that's what made the big difference for me (got rid of the tearing), and then the upgrade to the card and the monitor allowed smother playback of HD in green mode.
  • Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:39 PM In reply to

• Nick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 9 2013
    • London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 180

Has anyone come across a solution for the MBP retina with Nvidia GeForce GT 650M. The laptop doesn't give me an option to change the Refresh rate so I can't check that. The tearing is really bad on this and I was hoping someone had come across a solution?

Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz, i7, 16GB DDR3, 500GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:47 PM In reply to

• Nick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 9 2013
    • London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 180

Thanks rfmeredith. The flip on vertical Sync option worked wonders :) I can sleep easily now.

For anyone else who comes across this try:

In the "Settings" tab in Avid, go to "Full Screen Playback" and then check the "Flip on vertical Sync" Box.

Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz, i7, 16GB DDR3, 500GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller