Latest post Wed, Feb 14 2007 8:09 PM by Kevin Sio. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 13 2007 3:04 PM

Is this in the realm: Redigitizing of clips from archive on disk instead of original tape

Hello All.

We have a library of hundreds of beta tapes that have been used to create thousands of clips and sequences.  Some of these tapes are getting rather long in the tooth and we need to be able to preserve the images while the tapes are still in good enough condition to capture them.  We plan to archive them to hard drives and then move the tapes offsite.

Sometimes, we have need to edit old sequences.  Clips have to be redigitized which requires that the original tapes be mounted.  Do any of you know of a way, when redigitizing clips, in which  Avid can be pointed to a "virtual tape" on a hard drive instead of having to mount the original tape?

Any advice you can provide in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Robert

d. All of the above

• Tue, Feb 13 2007 4:10 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Is this in the realm: Redigitizing of clips from archive on disk instead of original tape

I think that you will have to use the "Batch Import" function to do this. The bummer is that, the first time you do it, you have to do each clip by hand. The good news is that, once you do it, it's an easy process the next time.

To make your job easier, name the file you create the exact same name as the clip. That way, when you point an entire batch of clips to the drive, the system should find all of the files that match those clip names and you can do it all with one click.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Feb 13 2007 5:48 PM In reply to

Re: Is this in the realm: Redigitizing of clips from archive on disk instead of original tape

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I just completed a test and it did not yield the desired result.  Please allow me to set the stage:

1)  Project TESTPROJECT represents one of our old, existing projects which has to be re-edited.  Media files for this project will have long been deleted.  It contains the following:

CLIP NAME: Original Clip

Tape = 2110,  Start = 2:08:02,  Duration = 2:51:26, Media Status = Offline

2) A separate project, TAPEARCHIVE, represents the archived footage for our tape number 2110.  This is simply a project which contains a single clip for the duration of the entire tape 2110, which has been captured for storage purposes.  This project is stored on a separate, external drive "I:\".  In order to be sure of the location of the media file on the external drive, I used the Reveal File function and noted the file name and location.

CLIP NAME: Archive 2110, Start = 1:00:00, Duration = 5:26:02

3) In order to re-digitize the footage required for "Original Clip", I selected the option Batch Import. I set the Import File Location to the external drive "I:\OMFI MediaFiles\2110E6BCV01.45D1E782.8097D0.omf" since that's where the file was revealed to exist.

4) The import completed with no error messages.  The "Brief" tab of the SuperBin displays the Offline status for the clip "Original Clip" as blank which seems to indicate that the media is no longer offline.  However, upon double-clicking "Original Clip" the follwing error message appeared:

Exception: INPUTOUTPUT_FILE_NOT_FOUND

So, my follow up question is:

• How should the archived footage be stored so that Batch Import will access the needed portion of the captured footage by referring to the timecode?
    • Will saving the archived footage as .mov or .avi correct this problem?

Again, your input is greatly appreciated.

Robert

d. All of the above

• Tue, Feb 13 2007 6:03 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

No, No. If you want to store the footage as OMF files, then just copy them into your OMFI Media Files folder and open a bin. You can even just have an external Drive with an OMFI FOLDER on it that you attach, open and copy the bin into your project. No importing needed.

The Method I described in my first reply will only work if you are storing your clips as QT files.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Feb 13 2007 6:05 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

BTW, If you save your footage a s Avid OMF files, I would make a backup if I were you as those files tend to corrupt fairly easily.

• Tue, Feb 13 2007 6:42 PM In reply to

Thanks, BLKDOG.

But I think there might be something I'm missing here.  There is no footage to in the form of an OMF file remaining from the original projects.  All the original OMF files have been deleted.  There is only a new OMF (archived tape)  file that has nothing to do with the original project. 

Whenever we need to re-edit a sequence, we pull the Beta tape and recapture the footage for those clips only.   What I would like to be able to do is replace the tape with a file that is archived on an external drive.  I want to be able to open the original project and recapture the clips, but instead of using the tape as the source, I would like to reference the separately captured footage that is now stored on a disk drive as the source.

Do you belive this to be possible?

We are not married to archiving the footage in any specific format. AVI, OMF, MOV.... It doesn't make a difference to me.  The important factor here is that we have hundreds of existing projects with thousands of clips where all of the media files are offline.  All that remains are the projects with their timecode and tape number references.  We have the hope that AVID can be tricked into reading a file (in whatever format) and treating it in the same way it would treat a tape and so recapture the footage.

d. All of the above

• Tue, Feb 13 2007 7:09 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

I understand, so..the easiest thing for you for the future (to me) would be to open your project and, as you recapture the clips, store the media for those clips onthis external drive. Soon, after you have recaptured all of the footage, you will have it all on this external drive that you can plug in at your leisure.

Yes, it means time recapturing all of that stuff for archiving purposes but, once it's done, it's done. It seems to me that, no matter how you want to archive the clips, recapturing the original footage is the first step.

• Tue, Feb 13 2007 7:55 PM In reply to

I agree.  We know we need the footage captured.  We just needed an idea of what AVID is capable of in terms of extracting footage from new and unrelated media files.  Seems there's no way to do what we were hoping we could do.

I think we'll be better off digitizing the library of tapes with each tape as a single sequence in a bin marked with that tape number.   This will give us a lot more flexibility when it comes to re-editing.  We can pull up the old project, look at the tape number for the clip, open the bin for that tape, and view the footage and figure out if we even want to use the original clip or if we want to do something different.  We'll just handle it case by case.

Thanks again for your input!

Robert

d. All of the above

• Wed, Feb 14 2007 3:56 PM In reply to

• Kevin Sio
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Posts 358
    • Points 4,580

Robert

I have been following this thread with interest since I am in a similar situation.  Many of our programs draw heavily on an extensive library of existing beta tapes.  It is not unusual to have 30-40 tapes as sources in a long or complicated program. 

My solution starts at the way I archive the programs.  I use the consolidate feature and save all the consolidated omfs to external drives.  With the cost per GB going down, this becomes a cost effective system for us.  You can get a 300G firewire/usb external drive for well under $200.  In the long run this is far cheaper that an automated DLT or AIT system, we've tried them both.

It is really quite simple (OK, slight exageration) to bring the media back to your production drives and re-open the sequence with all media in place!

This doesn't solve your legacy program problem, but I think you might consider a solution like this going forward.

Hope this helps.

K

HP-xw8600-Media Composer 4.0.2-G-Tech G Speed Pro XLT [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 14 2007 6:34 PM In reply to

Kevin,

Thank you very much for this useful suggestion.  I'll spend some time looking at the Consolidate feature.  Hopefully this will benefit us going forward.

I just wish there was a simple way for us to tell Avid to use a "virtual tape" in place of the original tape for those legacy projects (he said, hoping some Avid developer was listening).

And as long as I'm being wistful, a Render Queue would be a great feature to add.  Adobe After Effects has one and it makes life sweet.

What are your thoughts about the useful life of Beta tapes?  Much of the material in our library is approaching the ten year mark.  This is why we're concerned about digitizing everything. 

Robert

d. All of the above

• Wed, Feb 14 2007 8:09 PM In reply to

• Kevin Sio
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Posts 358
    • Points 4,580

Robert

One thing about beta...it is tough!  We are seeing occasional drop outs and other minor tape damage from our library.  I started this job in 1993 and have shot betasp almost exclusivly right up to our change-over in the late summer of 2004 when we went to DVCAM.  We do take pains to properly store the tapes as best we can, upright, rewound and in a reasonably controlled environment.  We are also mindful that we need to shoot replacement footage from time to time.  This spring we have a couple of scenarios that we will re shoot in order to have an updated look.  In my business, (utility) truck colors and logos on hard hats become the object of intense scrutiny.

Of course, this doesn't help your situation....  Read over the consolidate feature and post again if you have questions.

Kevin Sio
    Videographer/Editor
    National Grid

HP-xw8600-Media Composer 4.0.2-G-Tech G Speed Pro XLT [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller