Latest post Mon, May 20 2013 2:03 PM by klynch11. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 20 2006 3:53 PM

• pdrg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 52
    • Points 550

Dreaded Audio Buffer Overrun returns...

Although frankly the pesky thing never really went away, I just gave up capturing for a while!

Here's the problem - whilst capturing from DV, the video and audio appear to go out of sync, until the point where I get the audio buffer overrun symptom (between 30s-17m depending on the system busyness).  Now I've scoured these forums, the Support section, everything, and have tried the following...

• RAM Upgrade (now 2Gb)
    • Internal Hard Drive upgrade (old one was 4200RPM, now 7200RPM)
    • Looking and checking that Primary controller was DMA if Available (it is...)
    • Purchase of new external 7200RPM media drives (1xMaxtor 250G 16Mb buffer and 1x 320Gb Seagate 8M Buffer) both USB2.0 (as is Laptop)
    • Stopping practically everything but Avid Xpress DV from running
    • Ensured Sound device set to Realtec/onboard
    • Checked for all the latest drivers, etc
    • Unplugged all extras/mice/printers/etc
    • Frankly run out of ideas now.

I run Avid, Avid alone, and keep the capture window in focus and don't touch the mouse or keyboard - this seems to give me upto 17 mins capture, although my record was 22 mins once.  Video plays fine, there are no sync issues with what actually IS captured, and if I capture mute (ie just V1) I can capture 45+ minutes at a go, but even capturing mono (V1+A1) I get the buffer errors.

Here's the machine specs if anyone has any final ideas...

• Acer Aspire 2020 LAPTOP (ie screen efresh rate = 60Hz and staying that way!)
    • 2GHz Centrino Processor
    • 2GB top-quality RAM
    • Avid Xpress DV v4.6 Audio Settings Play Buffer and Tool Buffer size 12288 (default)

For what it's worth, the horrid Windows Movie Maker will capture happily for 60+ minutes, whilst compressing to WMV at the same time, so I'm confident the DV stream is all good, etc.  Anyone got any more ideas?  Many, many thanks in advance - if one of you manages to solve it you will SO make my Christmas...I've got 12 hrs to capture this and next week, and I'd love it to be as easy as it should be with such a high-spec setup!!

Thanks, Paddy

WXPSP2 on Acer Aspire 2020 bolstered up to 2G RAM, 2GHz Centrino, 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, Avid XpressPro 5.3 - full commercial license, just in... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 21 2006 11:04 PM In reply to

• googy
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

Re: Dreaded Audio Buffer Overrun returns...

Okay, had the same issue and found the problem was that I had another device using Firewire (in my case, my external sound card...by the way is your internal Realtec really up to spec?). Even though I had two Firewire inputs, they both led to the same internal port.

The answer for me was simple: I bought a second PCI Firewire card for less than $30 and was able to load whole 40 min. tapes at a single shot with no problem, no loss of sync, no errors. With your laptop, I don't know. If one of your internal devices is using Firewire, that could be the problem. If there's way to get a second Firewire input going it might be worth a try.

MC 5.5.3 Dell Precision 670 (2) 2.8 GHz Xeon duo core 6 GB RAM NVIDIA Quado FX 3500 2 500 GB SATA RAID 0 with app on C: PreSonus Firebox Audio Interface... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 23 2006 8:30 PM In reply to

• pdrg
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 52
    • Points 550

Thanks for the idea Googy, I'll give it a try as I've tried practically everything else!  The lappy has 1 FW port, but maybe something else funky is limiting things inside or something so I'll try your idea.

I'm not sure I fully understand, but ought the sound card play any part in streaming DV to disk?  It's not like it has to convert it to analogue then back to a digital stream (or does it?!  I'm sure someone can correct me)

If only I can solve this huge pain in the rear, I'll consider the upgrade to Pro with all that super DNxHD support etc, but I don't fancy its chances much if it can't handle DV?!

WXPSP2 on Acer Aspire 2020 bolstered up to 2G RAM, 2GHz Centrino, 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, Avid XpressPro 5.3 - full commercial license, just in... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 27 2006 2:02 AM In reply to

• googy
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

I think I understand the question, so at the risk of telling you something you already know, let me explain: in DV audio and video are all part of the same data stream, wound together like the strands of a rope. When you're loading via FW both a and v come in that way. What happened in my case was this: my external sound card was working off the same firewire port that I was loading my footage on and because I was monitoring my video and audio as it went in it caused a tremendous strain on the system. Check it out--the computer had to bring the A/V stream in as well as send the audio to the sound card and keep it in sync with the picture...all through one FW port. It's asking too much. Once I added the second FW card, I never had another problem.

Good luck.

MC 5.5.3 Dell Precision 670 (2) 2.8 GHz Xeon duo core 6 GB RAM NVIDIA Quado FX 3500 2 500 GB SATA RAID 0 with app on C: PreSonus Firebox Audio Interface... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 28 2006 8:10 PM In reply to

• pdrg
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 52
    • Points 550

Thanks Googy, you did understand my question, and that's why I'm unsure whether trying another firewire breakout will help, as the only thing my firewire is ever used for is the DV stream, the sound goes through the onboard card.  Muchly appreciated though, and I'm certainly going to try it, I've got no other ideas!

Cheers :)

• Thu, Feb 8 2007 12:09 PM In reply to

• pdrg
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 52
    • Points 550

Update for those also slashing at arteries with this problem who've tried all the above...

Finally got a PCMCIA Firewire card, and just importing through that, I get the same problem, but can go for a staggering 25mins before it all going wrong.  Certainly it helped a little bit, and although it's not gone, it could be worse.

But, as a solution - capturing using NeroVision 3 Express SE (ie an OEM freebie) to DV is flawless and keeps sync with no problems at all, then import into Avid for the edit.  I must admit I'm baffled why OEM Giveawayware beats the pants off of commercial dedicated tools, but for the capture it seems to do so hands down!

• Mon, Aug 18 2008 12:13 PM In reply to

• morganm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 18 2008
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

I just had this error message when trying to capture using Media Composer:

"capture aborted because audio attempted to overrun its buffers"

Fixed it by increasing the buffer size in the Audio Settings dialog box - I wasn't expecting it to be that simple so I'm guessing other people tried that first and it didn't work - or I got lucky and my problem wasn't so complex...

• Sat, Aug 18 2012 9:19 PM In reply to

• Ari Zlatin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 13 2008
    • San Francisco, CA
    • Posts 39
    • Points 510

ho did you adjust an audio buffer settings in windows 7-64?

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77, 16 GB DDR3, SSD DRIVE, QUADRO FX 3800, WINDOWS 7-64 bit Professional, Dual 27" monitors [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 19 2012 12:13 AM In reply to

• Ari Zlatin
    • Not Ranked
    • San Francisco, CA
    • Posts 39
    • Points 510

OK everyone!!! I know what the problem is with Audio Bufer Overrun. THE PROBLEM IS 6.03 . I have to test 6.01. To capture your video, uninstall 6.03 and install only MC 5.5X...

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77, 16 GB DDR3, SSD DRIVE, QUADRO FX 3800, WINDOWS 7-64 bit Professional, Dual 27" monitors [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 19 2012 1:09 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,381
    • Points 96,975

Ari, have a look at the dates on the original posts in this thread.  They all date from before MC6.  I very much doubt that 6.03 was the cause of their problem.

The thread starter wasn't even using Media Composer.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 19 2012 5:04 PM In reply to

• Ari Zlatin
    • Not Ranked
    • San Francisco, CA
    • Posts 39
    • Points 510

Thank you for your comment. Sorry about that. However, I am able to capture from my Sony FX7 via 1394 400 without any 2 minutes interraptions when I uninstalled 6.03 and installed 5.5.3. It may not work for everyone but it sure worked for me. I really hope that I could help.

• Mon, May 20 2013 2:03 PM In reply to

• klynch11
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 17 2012
    • Posts 26
    • Points 340

I'm also having a major problem with this using 6.0.3 though firewire on a Sony Fx1.  Incredibly frustrating!  I swithced from 6 becasue of a major problem editing audio in the timeline.  Strange, things work fine at first for both problems then went down hill.

IMac OSX 10.7.5, Quad 2.5 Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, Avid MC 6.0.3 [view my complete system specs]

www.InceptMM.com

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller