Latest post Wed, May 22 2013 5:35 PM by camoscato. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 5 2006 10:06 PM

Picture in picture, trying to divide screen

I need some help with the picture in picture effect. I wanted to divide the screen into fours, but it is taking me forever to edit! Do I really have to apply effects to every little edit I make? Is there any way to put a freeze frame into my divisions? I am trying to synchronize the action amongst the four scenes, so they look like one scene. I need some time filler, but I don't want to apply effects on every 3 seconds of filler I put on a loop. I am a total novice
  • Tue, Dec 5 2006 11:18 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Picture in picture, trying to divide screen

Just make all of your edits on each of four layers. When your cut is done, Lasso the segments on each track (One track ata time that is) from left to right. With them all selected, Hold down OPTION and doubleclick the PIP effect. This will nest all of our cuts into one effect that you can manipulate as you wish.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Dec 5 2006 11:28 PM In reply to

Blkdog sneaks in before XPotential with a much more succinct response.  I'll just delete my long winded explanation about video mixdowns, nested effects etc etc and head off to bed...Wink [;)]  Still, it's always nice to learn a simpler way of doing things!
    Mac OS X 10.4.2, Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM, 30in Apple HD Display, GRAID 300GB external HD, Edirol speakers, Sony Z1E. Avid XPress Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 6 2006 1:16 AM In reply to

I'm actually going to go the long-winded route and suggest using "Collapse" to create a nested effect with the video for the PIP inside one effect. You can then apply the PIP to that one collapsed effect and change the PIP settings for all the shots within it. Do this four times, and you'll have what you're looking for (along with some great flexibility should you descide to have the 4 boxes move, resize, fade, etc...).

As for the freeze frames, time fillier, and loops - I'm not understanding your goal.

Hopefully my explanation of the collapsed video track works. I do it all the time, but explaining it is a bit trickier. But no, you don't have to apply the same PIP effect over and over... this is one of several optiosn to avoid it.

Beware though that once you collapsed the video inside an effect - editing the contents will be a bit cumbersome, so try to get everything timed out before you do so.

Good luck.
    Dual 2.3 Ghz Mac G5 | 4.5 GB Ram | Mac OS 10.5.4 | QT 7.5 [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Dec 6 2006 4:16 PM In reply to

• feincut
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Central PA
    • Posts 932
    • Points 10,820

BLKDOG's solution was far more direct, in my opinion.   It get's right to the important concept of nesting.  Option-double-clicking an effect whilst a contiguous section of clips is highlighted gives you an insant nest of multi-clip contents.    But then yours is clever, too.
    Mac G5 Dual-2__10.4.9__3.5 GB RAM__ XpressPro 5.7__MOJO classic__ Internal SATA 400 GB drive__ PCI: slot 4 firewire400__slot 3 firewire800__ nVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 7 2006 7:05 PM In reply to

As for the freeze frames, time fillier, and loops - I'm not understanding your goal.

I thought it would be simple to take a frame of video and extend it through time, but I am not sure how to do this.  Essentially, some of the sections have no action while there is action happening in other pictures on the screen.  In order to synchronize the sections, my goal is to extend a frame through time until more action occurs in the inactive section, then splice in the next clip.  Initially I was going to shoot filler but I didn't because of time considerations.  So for instance, I want to take a frame and turn it into 300 frames, to make it into 10 seconds of action.  Right now I have maybe a second of a still scene, which I copied ten times and then used collapse, however I couldn't get picture in picture to work after this.  When I try to apply PIP after collapse, I get the message 'effect does not apply'
  • Thu, Dec 7 2006 7:10 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

It is simple Stella, just create a freeze frame and cut it the length of time you wish onto the appropriate track. Forget about collapse, Just select all of your clips and double click as I described above. You can edit your entire track to match actiona and THEN nest everything into your effect.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Dec 7 2006 8:24 PM In reply to

thanks blkdog, you've made everything so much easier.

Happy holidays Big Smile [:D]
  • Thu, Dec 7 2006 8:29 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

anytime stella...that's me, the path of least resistance!

Smile [:)]

• Sun, Apr 13 2008 5:11 PM In reply to

• delgadob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 16 2007
    • Pembroke Pines, Florida
    • Posts 157
    • Points 2,405

Hello,

I was reviewing old forum posts and found your description on how to get the "24" multiple window effect.

I am using Windows XP so I would need to know what is the OPTION key you mentioned in your instruction.

Thanks for the info

Bert Delgado

Avid Media Composer version 6.5.4 on a PC. It has an INTE HEX CORE I7, 4930K, with 4 TB of internal storage,Intel cooling system for I7, 32 GB of memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 13 2008 5:18 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

It's the ALT key on Windows.

• Wed, May 22 2013 4:25 PM In reply to

Is there a video on how to do this? If so where can I find it? also can it be done with just two video segments? 

• Wed, May 22 2013 5:35 PM In reply to

bradley.ziegler:
    Is there a video on how to do this?

Yes.

bradley.ziegler:
    If so where can I find it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U_UDxZmktw

bradley.ziegler:
    can it be done with just two video segments? 

Yes.

Media Composer 2018.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller