Latest post Thu, Sep 7 2006 4:57 PM by ssindelman. 37 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 7 2006 1:07 AM

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,100

5.5.1 JKL Playback Issues and Capture Monitoring

Hello,

We just upgraded from 5.2.4 to 5.5.1 and we're experiencing a couple of issues. 

While capturing, we do not get video playback in the composer window.  We have proper playback on our NTSC monitor, but not the computer monitor.  The video in the Composer window freezes then occasionally speeds through to the current frame and then freezes again.

JKL Playback.  When playing back clips or a timeline, JKL play buttons do not work.  You can playback, but as soon as you try to play in double time, picture freezes.  The audio plays back in double time though.  When you stop, the clip has NOT ADVANCED, your're still right where you started.

System Specs

XW8000

Single 2.8 xeon

3gb Ram

Quadro FX 500 with 84.26 Nvidia Driver

Thanks for your help! 

System Specs: Mac Pro (early 2009) OS X El Capitan V10.11.16 2 x 2.66ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Memory: 64 GB 1006 DDR3 ECC Startup Disk: Mercury... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 7 2006 1:12 AM In reply to

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,100

Re: 5.5.1 JKL Playback Issues and Capture Monitoring

To add to this.....DV50 plays back fine with the JKL keys.  15:1S does not.
    System Specs: Mac Pro (early 2009) OS X El Capitan V10.11.16 2 x 2.66ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Memory: 64 GB 1006 DDR3 ECC Startup Disk: Mercury... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 7 2006 1:39 AM In reply to

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,100

bump
  • Fri, Jul 7 2006 3:28 AM In reply to

• quickcut
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 44
    • Points 580

I'm business partners with SMM4774, and everything concerning capture and variable speed playback is as mentioned above.  I went through the readme, and set the hardware acceleration to the center as listed in the setup with driver version 84.26.  I've tried single display setting, far left, which only freezes the frame in the composer monitor, and full multi-display acceleration, far right, which gives me the same results as the center position.  Frozen frame and position bar with audio for a moment then nothing at 60, 90 fps, on up, and the J command for reverse playback sends my position bar back to the head of the clip.  Anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions?  Any help is much appreciated!

• Fri, Jul 7 2006 5:49 AM In reply to

We did see a problem like this during beta and we believed we had addressed it.  Just to see if it's the same problem, when you just view the video before capturing it, does it play smoothly?  Does it only display in a bursty manner while actually capturing to disk?  If so, if you do a video only capture, does it capture smoothly?

Also, just as a test, you may want to try turning on hyperthreading, just to see if that provides the extra horsepower.

Brian Williams
    Senior Principal Software Engineer
    Media Products Group
    Avid Technology, Inc.

"Be a non-conformist like me!"

• Fri, Jul 7 2006 8:39 PM In reply to

• quickcut
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 44
    • Points 580

Thank you for your reply.

We enabled hyperthreading and it did not change anything.

To answer your questions. 

when you just view the video before capturing it, does it play smoothly?

Yes, it plays smoothly until you hit the record button IF you are capturing with Audio.

Does it only display in a bursty manner while actually capturing to disk? 

YES.  While capturing, the image freezes but then occassionally it will speed forward, catch up and freeze again.

if you do a video only capture, does it capture smoothly?

YES.  If we capture only Video, we get our confidence view while capturing AND JKL playback on clips with no Audio work fiine.  This explains why our DV50 footage played back ok.  There was no audio captured with the DV50 footage.

• Fri, Jul 7 2006 8:59 PM In reply to

• Julian Ridi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • CANADA
    • Posts 344
    • Points 4,055

Quickcut....try this

I had to do this just to get to play and now 2 days flawless on the same xeon sysem with same video card......trust me this will cure it.

First thing > save your projects to the desktop > move your avid project directory to the desktop C:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Xpress Pro HD\Avid Projects

Second thing > uninstall Avid completely and delete the directory > when deleting selelct the folder with your mouse and hit > shift+delete

Third thing > defrag the C: only - your media drives should never be defraged ( according to avid )

Forth thing > delete all msmFMID and msmMMOB from your media drives and then stare at the celing for the defrag to finish. I do this to ensure the files are gone 'IMHO'

SIDE NOTE your 240 gig drive should be partition to 200 gig and 40 gigs.

Fifth thing > restart in **safe mode** > uninstall your quadro fx 500 card in the device manage > run DRIVER CLEANER PRO (download it - search google)

Sixth thing > uninstall your firewire device in Device manage and reboot back into normal mode.

Seventh thing > your firewire card with recognize first - let it finish the install > install the proper drivers for your quadro card - AVID 5.2.1 - 5.2.7 use nvidia 77.18 or AVID 5.5.1 use 84.26

Eight thing > Setup up your nvidia properties - make sure if you have dual monitors to change the acceleration mode to single mode.

Ninth thing >  Install Avid > let it finish and don't restart when it tells you to > first install the windows media 9.5  and then RESTART

Tenth thing > move your project back to the avid director (not necesssary if you keep them outside the avid directory)

RUN AVID AND GET BACK TO ME

JULIAN

15" MBP

• Fri, Jul 7 2006 9:29 PM In reply to

It seems like FX 500 people are having video playback issues....
    MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 7 2006 10:44 PM In reply to

• Julian Ridi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • CANADA
    • Posts 344
    • Points 4,055

Dom is right...I got the call too saying that fx500 isn't working well with 5.5.1

julian

15" MBP

• Sat, Jul 8 2006 2:23 PM In reply to

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,100

What cards are working well then?   Should I upgrade my graphics card??
  • Sat, Jul 8 2006 10:35 PM In reply to

• quickcut
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 44
    • Points 580

Hey Brian,

What's your call on this.  Is there a workaround/fix for the FX500, or are we looking at moving on to another graphics card?

• Sat, Jul 8 2006 10:43 PM In reply to

I highly suggest moving to another card, IMO.

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 8 2006 11:12 PM In reply to

• pro---studio
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne / Germany
    • Posts 134
    • Points 2,115

Sorry - the same Bug happens with a Quattro 1400 Card. On reverse playback the plaback window freezes and if you stop, the play marker jumps back to the head of the sequence.

I'm a bit nervous, becaus I'm in the middle of a project - and I need it to be done in one week. With this serious bug editing with avid is absolutely not possible.

Please Avid get us a working version!

Pro--studio

ASUS P5Q3 / Intel Quad Core 9650 / nvidia Quadro 4500 / 8GB Ram OCZ / onboard sound / 250GB SATA System HD / 1,5TB Video HD Raid5 on Highpoint 2310 / Mojo... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 8 2006 11:33 PM In reply to

• xyedit
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 2,119
    • Points 26,995

pro---studio:

I'm a bit nervous, becaus I'm in the middle of a project - and I need it to be done in one week. With this serious bug editing with avid is absolutely not possible.

Please Avid get us a working version!

Pro--studio

Rule #1, never upgrade mid-project!!!  Unless the previous version was not working at all and there is a serious specific issue that the new release addresses.

Dell PWS360 P4 2.4GHz 1.5GB RAM 80GB system drive 500GB internal SATA2 media drive >1TB... [view my complete system specs]
    Kenton VanNatten (will edit for money)
  • Sat, Jul 8 2006 11:42 PM In reply to

• pro---studio
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne / Germany
    • Posts 134
    • Points 2,115

I need native HDV editing for that project.

I expected Avid to give us a bugfree Version. Sorry that I trusted Avid so much.

ASUS P5Q3 / Intel Quad Core 9650 / nvidia Quadro 4500 / 8GB Ram OCZ / onboard sound / 250GB SATA System HD / 1,5TB Video HD Raid5 on Highpoint 2310 / Mojo... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller