Latest post Sun, Jun 27 2021 7:46 PM by TIMETOFILM. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 18 2021 9:02 AM

Prores RAW support vs Canon Raw & XAVC SI

Hi! 

we are working with a DP considering to shoot two types of mirrorless cameras for his next shoot: Canon R5 and Sony A1.  

he is asking us which flavor of footage we can fully support during the editing process and I have to say I have no clue as I didn't work with these before.

His options are 8K Canon RAW, Sony's Xavc s-i and/or ProRes RAW recorder from an Atomos recorder. 

I know Atomos can deliver proper DNxHD but it seems he'd rather shoot with ProresRAW instead.

The questions are : how well are this file formats supported in Media Composer?

- Does ProResRAW offer the possibility "to control WhiteBalance ISO and these other settings in post like in Final Cut"? 

- What about Canon RAW? Does Media Composer allow to work with the RAW settings? 

- Are there advantages editing-wise for us to get ProRes RAW instead of Canon Raw or XAVC SI ?

I personally assume that XAVC SI will behave as XAVC footage I've previously worked with from other types of cameras but I just don't know how much latitude RAW will offer as I don't know of any RAW processing module integrated to media composer.

Would be grateful to have some insights! 

• Sun, Jun 20 2021 9:24 PM In reply to

Re: Prores RAW support vs Canon Raw & XAVC SI

Up! Nobody can tell about RAW or ProRes Raw adjustments support on Avid ? Will we be able to have control over white balance and such settings RAW allows to offer on other editors?

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jun 21 2021 2:57 AM In reply to

ProRes RAW adjustments, AFAIK, is only supported in FCP X.

Canon RAW is manipulated through their own standalone software, Canon Cinema RAW Development.

MC 2021.6, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, OSX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 21 2021 9:57 AM In reply to

Thank you for your answer!

So I undestand there is no advantage of asking for Prores Raw footage over Prores HQ or XAVC HS straight out of the camera editing wise unless we have an extra step of debayering through another software then?

• Wed, Jun 23 2021 9:27 PM In reply to

I know that for example, there is a one click option to auto adjust white balance for RED footage in Source settings. 

How do you best deal with ProRes Raw footage settings such as White Balance and ISO in an Avid Worklow then?

• Wed, Jun 23 2021 9:32 PM In reply to

You cannot as Apple has only provided adjustments through FCP X.

MC 2021.6, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, OSX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 23 2021 9:37 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:

You cannot as Apple has only provided adjustments through FCP X.

Okay, so how do you best deal with ProRes Raw footage settings such as White Balance and ISO in an Avid Worklow then?

• Wed, Jun 23 2021 9:51 PM In reply to

You have to add FCPX to your workflow. You will need to ingest it in FCP, make adjustments and export.

Hopefully, Apple will allow other applications to access those parameters in the future.

• Wed, Jun 23 2021 10:39 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:

You have to add FCPX to your workflow. You will need to ingest it in FCP, make adjustments and export.

Hopefully, Apple will allow other applications to access those parameters in the future.

I guess it's too bad I'm on windows then :/

• Wed, Jun 23 2021 11:04 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 698
    • Points 8,950

Doesn't Scratch Play Pro from Assimilate work with all the ProRes raw adjustments on both Mac and PC?

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 23 2021 11:35 PM In reply to

Mercer:

Doesn't Scratch Play Pro from Assimilate work with all the ProRes raw adjustments on both Mac and PC?

Thank you I'll check about that. One silly question though: maybe that's just trying to avoid an extra step with third party software before editing in Avid, but does a ProRes Raw file somehow retain more information regarding white balance so that if I play with the température sliders in Avid or Baselight I'll get more Data to deal with than with a regular ProRes or DNxHD file or that's exactly the same result?

• Thu, Jun 24 2021 7:52 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 698
    • Points 8,950

DNxHD or ProRes type codecs narmally have their 'look' baked in, usually rec. 709, as it were. 'Raw' formats are normally direct information from the sensor and therefore one can adjust things like white balance, iso etc. after the fact. Somewhat analogous to the difference between reversal and negative motion picture film - there is much more latitude with negative processing than reversal. Therefore if you can't adjust those parameters it makes the adavantages of the workflow diminish. However simply having the ability to injest ProRes Raw at all, on Windows, is a major boon and pure editing doesn't need full control of the image.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 24 2021 9:04 AM In reply to

Hi, yes I know that, I'm just wondering what's the point of editing ProRes Raw if Avid doesn't offer more lattitude i.e. with White balance to work with than with ProRes.

Will it offer more latitude with the Baselight plug in though?

• Thu, Jun 24 2021 10:55 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 698
    • Points 8,950

The point is you can edit it in Avid - you can't with Resolve yet, for example. The question is more is it worth shooting on it, if you don't have software that can use it to the full. You will have no more latitude with ProRes Raw in Avid with or without Baselight than any other codec -it's currenly like a one light print for film - you can apply luts to anything though.

• Sun, Jun 27 2021 3:04 PM In reply to

Mercer:

The point is you can edit it in Avid - you can't with Resolve yet, for example. The question is more is it worth shooting on it, if you don't have software that can use it to the full. You will have no more latitude with ProRes Raw in Avid with or without Baselight than any other codec -it's currenly like a one light print for film - you can apply luts to anything though.

Thank you for your answer, I get that. Regardless of the workstation specs, is it then better to get DNxHR, Prores HQ 422 footage from a recorder or native internal XAVC-SI editing-wise?

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller