Latest post Tue, Sep 15 2020 8:07 PM by RalphC. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 31 2020 6:35 PM

• SuzanBrand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 31 2020
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Microsoft Surface Book 3 and MC|F "not supported on VM instances"

Hello!

I have a brand new Microsoft Surface Book 3 running Windows 10 Pro version 1909 and have recently downloaded Media Composer|First 2020.6, then a few days ago updated to 2020.8. Everything downloaded nicely however when I go to run MC|F, I am greeted with the following message:

"This program is not supported on VM instances"

After over two weeks of research, reading, downloading, tinkering, upgrading, and more, I still have not found any solution to this. I have performed a variety of gpedits and regedits per Microsoft's suggestions, to no avail.

Hypervisor is not running/enabled, nor are any VMware items that I'm aware of, but somewhere, MC|F is seeing something that makes it think I am running a VM.

(Oddly, I can run MC|F on a 7 year old ASUS PC, just not at all swiftly or soundly...one click and 3 minutes later something will occur.)

Anyway, the additional specs for my computer are:

Intel Core i7- 1065G7 1.5 GHz

32 GB RAM / 1 TB storage

Graphics Card is GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q Design

The Surface Book is a touchscreen device with an option to detach the screen and use as a tablet-like device.

I am a student with a video editing class using AVID this semester, and I'm on week 2 of the semester and cannot even run the software that's needed. 

Can anyone tell me why MC|F thinks I am a VM and how to convince it I am not?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!!

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 6:46 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 402
    • Points 4,785

Re: Microsoft Surface Book 3 and MC|F "not supported on VM instances"

do you have any PCoIP software installed? ex: teradici

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Wed, Sep 2 2020 2:41 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,783
    • Points 48,355
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

If you still have the download for 2020.6, then I suggest uninstalling 2020.8 and downgrading.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Sep 2 2020 6:54 PM In reply to

• SuzanBrand
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

No, there's nothing like that that I would have installed. The only thing I could possibly think of that might be similar is that I do use WebEx for school - since most classroom sessions are virtual. But I was trying to run Media Composer|First prior to installing anything for WebEx to operate. Would something like WebEx potentially cause an issue?

• Wed, Sep 2 2020 7:34 PM In reply to

• SuzanBrand
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

I'm doing that right now!

I had a glimmer of hope that 2020.8 might have some upgrade magic that would solve the problem, but sadly, it did not.

• Fri, Sep 4 2020 2:30 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,322
    • Points 25,620
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi SuzanBrand,

Please try the steps here.

Goodluck,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 8 2020 7:02 PM In reply to

• adoalv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 19 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hello all

I am having the same issues witht the same exact machine. I bought this machine to be able to do online avid classes aswell as the other classes. I have looked eveywhere for a resolution to this issue. I am now upgradig my desktop gamming PC more cash out of my pocket I would really like to get this figured out. 

thank you 

Surface book3 

Intel Core i7- 1065G7 1.5 GHz

32 GB RAM / 1 TB storage

Graphics Card is GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q Design

Home Desktop

AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper 2950X, 16-Core

MB - ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING

Graphics Card AMD Radeo Pro wx9100

32 GB RAM, 1 TB  Samsung SSD for OS 

4 - 4 TB sata WD drives

1 - M2 SSD samsung 970 1TB

• Tue, Sep 8 2020 8:33 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,322
    • Points 25,620
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

I'm checking this machine if it's qualified to run MC.

@adoalv I send you pm. did you try the steps in the FAQ

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 8 2020 10:07 PM In reply to

• adoalv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 19 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hello Ralph 

Thank you for your all your help. 

I did go through all the steps and nothing was checked or rather selected. 

thank you 

adolfo 

• Wed, Sep 9 2020 1:18 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,322
    • Points 25,620
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi adoalv,

Suzan and I is troubleshooting this, we found out that the Surface Book 3 Virtualization is enable. Please check your machine and report back.

Step 1 - Open Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl+Shift+Esc key together at the same time and go to the "Performance" tab. On the bottom right, you will come across "Virtualization". Next to that, it will show either "Enabled" or "Disabled".

RalphC

• Fri, Sep 11 2020 8:22 PM In reply to

• SuzanBrand
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Hello!

OK, so I was actually able to get MC|First working! Here's what I did. I am indebted to Raff for helping me to get this working! Smile

After we determined that "Virtualization" was enabled per the previous instructions supplied by @RalphC, I was able to use the following steps (also discovered and supplied by RalphC) to disable virtualization and encourage Media Composer to run.

The following steps are also found on a Microsoft Community post for a similar issue...link at the bottom of this post. The steps below between the *** are from that post, and my additional commentary is in parentheses and conclude with -SB.

From Microsoft user FrankB: "Some of the steps seem mutually redundant, but it only worked when I performed *all* of the below (from a clean Windows 10 Pro installation).  I hope it helps you as well:

1. Turn off Hyper-Visor: Run the "Turn Windows features on or off" applet and uncheck the entire "Hyper-V" tree

(I typed "Hyper" into the search window of the Settings menu and the "Turn Windows features on or off" applet comes up at the bottom of the choices - SB)

2. Disable Credential Guard: Run the "Edit group policy" applet by using the Run window (Press Win + R on the keyboard to open the Run window. In the Open field type "gpedit. msc" and press Enter on the keyboard or click OK - SB.), and navigate to the Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard group.  For the "Turn On Virtualization Based Security", set it to "Disabled"

3. Turn off hypervisor in the boot loader: in PowerShell as Administrator, type 

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

(to find PowerShell, I typed PowerShell into the search bar in the toolbar at the bottom of the Windows screen, selected PowerShell, and I selected "Run as Administrator" from the list of options in the right panel - SB).

4. Disable DeviceGuard: run the "Registry Editor" applet (Press Win + R on the keyboard to open the Run window. In the open field type "regedit" and press Enter on the keyboard or click OK.) and navigate to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > DeviceGuard group

Set the "EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity" to 0, set "RequireMicrosoftSignedBootChain" to 0.  Then navigate further to ... Scenarios > HyperVisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity and set "Enabled" to 0. (Double-click on these for the data value selector to appear - SB)

5. Disable Memory Integrity: in the Settings Applet, navigate to Update & Security > Windows Security > Device Security > Core Isolation.  Turn the Memory Integrity option "Off" "

(Untill I performed all of the above, I was not able to access the button to turn Memory Integrity "off" - and without these step-by-step instructions, I was not able to make the proper gpedits or regedits needed to get there - SB)

Upon reboot, I was able to start Media Composer|First!!

There was an additional post at the end of this particular thread that mentioned a forthcoming update to Windows 10 Pro that may deem all of this unnecessary - or not - but for now, I can run Avid Media Composer|First and I am thrilled!

Thank you so much to Raff, RalphC for getting me where I needed to be to get this working. I really appreciate you sticking with me through this challenge and guiding me to a resolution.

@adoalv - I hope this helps you, too! Let me know if you have any questions and I can try to answer them, at least from my experience!

To see the Microsoft Community post that describes this, try here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/how-to-enable-vt-x-on-surface-book-3/b9057c59-eb8a-4221-85c4-90a3d44edd55

• Sun, Sep 13 2020 9:55 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,783
    • Points 48,355
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

SuzanBrand:

3. Turn off hypervisor in the boot loader: in PowerShell as Administrator, type 

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

(to find PowerShell, I typed PowerShell into the search bar in the toolbar at the bottom of the Windows screen, selected PowerShell, and I selected "Run as Administrator" from the list of options in the right panel - SB).

Please be extremely careful when using PowerShell. It's incredibly easy to completely mess up your system by issuing the wrong command or the right command with the wrong parameters!! I only use PowerShell for things I can't fix any other way, or for when I need to create scripts for things that Windows doesn't support natively.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Sep 14 2020 2:45 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,448
    • Points 234,020
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Suzan

thnak you for the feedback.... Raff hs been working hard on this for you.... :)

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 15 2020 7:55 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,322
    • Points 25,620
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

I will turn the steps to a KB article limited to Microsoft Surface 2 and 3 for now.

RalphC

• Tue, Sep 15 2020 8:07 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,322
    • Points 25,620
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

DStone:
    Please be extremely careful when using PowerShell. It's incredibly easy to completely mess up your system by issuing the wrong command or the right command with the wrong parameters!! I only use PowerShell for things I can't fix any other way, or for when I need to create scripts for things that Windows doesn't support natively.

Thank you for the reminder Dave. I will include it on the article.

RalphC

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller