Latest post Tue, Aug 18 2020 11:33 AM by Leo Baker. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 18 2020 1:06 AM

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 493
    • Points 5,790

Blackmagic Braw Media Composer Hangs (not responding)

I'm using the Blackmagic Pocket 4k in the Braw format 8-1 compression. I tested the Avid Braw plugin from Blackmagic 1.7 and latest 1.8. I AMA link to the Blackmagic braw files. These okay fine but getting random hangs. On the timeline set quality to draft. Plays the timeline fine then a spinning wheel and Media Composer has stopped responding. Timeline test clips about 3 clips 15 sec each.

Also not playing anything on the timeline, I right click and choose the colour space in the programme monitor in the Avid interface on the timeline then it hangs.

Media Composer 2020.6 footage on thunderbolt 2 raid and tested on ssds running Thunderbolt 2. I don't have any issue with any other format just this.

Thanks,

Leo 

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 18 2020 4:55 AM In reply to

Re: Blackmagic Braw Media Composer Hangs (not responding)

Do you have Resolve?  If so as a workaround open the clips in a Resolve in the media page.
    Sort the clips by TC and select them all.
    Use the Resolve command "Open new Timeline using selected clips."
    Go to the edit Page. 
    Add timeline LUT RAW to Rec 709.
    Go to the Deliver page and choose Avid export. Set the frame rate size and resolution you want in Avid.
    Deliver to an number only named folder.

When the delivery is done move the number named folder into your Avid MediaFiles\MXF folder
    Open MC and after MC has indexed the folder drag the AAF file from the number named folder into a bin.
    The bin will populate with all the media clips.and the AAF file can be opened as a timeline with your source clips if you would be happy to edit from a timeline in the Source window. 

If you chose an offline resolution for this then you can go back to your Resolve Project media timeline(s) and repeat the process at the end of your edit but choosing this time your frame rate and delivery resolution. 

I predominantly use this as my workflow for all media that I would have had to link to in MC. 

Alayne

• Tue, Aug 18 2020 11:33 AM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 493
    • Points 5,790

Re: Blackmagic Braw Media Composer Hangs (not responding)

Hello Alayne,

I do have Blackmagic's Da Vinci Resolve Studio. I have created Avid MXF files for editing in Media Composer. Also using the same workflow as you mentioned. I tried before AMA linking, then transcoding with-in Avid. The Meta data and link seems much more robust, and flawless. WHereby using the MDB/AAF from the Resolve process, found some weird things such as start timecode totally different, random start times in the DNXHD files. But that could of been a corrupted Avid Media Composer project.

So I am trying to mitigate any issues by not using third party software for the transcoding process. I wonder if it's a performance issue with the Blackmagic AMA plugin or if it's related to Avid Media Composer 2020.6? 

Thanks,

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller