Latest post Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:45 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 17 2020 9:32 AM

Avid Media Composer hanging at Amadevicemonitor.avx

So today i wanted to open Avid Media Composer and i keep getting the Reloading plugin: Amadevicemonitor.avx message. From there it simply freezes and it's impossible to open Media Composer. Does anyone know how to solve this issue? It only seems to be doing that on networks outside of the Avid Floating License network. I am running Windows 2004 at this point.

• Tue, Aug 18 2020 4:06 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,783
    • Points 48,355
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Avid Media Composer hanging at Amadevicemonitor.avx

I suggest rolling back to W10 1909 if you can.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Aug 24 2020 12:22 PM In reply to

I can confirm that the MC Start Message hang up "Reloading plugin: AMAdevicemonitor.avx message" is a W10 2004 issue. Got same message with Notebook DELL Precision 7520 and W10 2004 with MC2018.12,7. But system in my case didn't hang up, just a long delay during MC start (message appear approx 2min before MC start continue). After successful MC start, closing MC and starting again no hang up.

Much more heavy bug: I have a long delay switching to other applications (Browser, Mail App). After switching from MC to eg Browser and work inside Browser, switching Back to MC, ist looks like Application hang (no Mouse Arrow just scaling Up/Down arrow or "busy circle" is visible. Clicking around forces a grey overlay saying "Quit App or Wait for App". After ca. 30s (depends how long and hard you worked at other Apps) everything works fine again. Even same bug working with Title Tool inside MC. Took long time until Title Tool "Save Window" appear.

Other Apps like GIMP has sometimes long delays too when saving.

Only solution was to deactivate Network adapter or disconnect CAT cable. No delays any longer.

After rollback to 1909 (I made a system image before) all bugs are gone.

• Tue, Aug 25 2020 8:48 AM In reply to

That's what i did, from there it worked without any issues

• Mon, Oct 26 2020 3:01 PM In reply to

I have this same "long delay switching to other applications" issue, I'm working with avid 2018.12.3 on a Windows 10 HPz840. Is there any way to fix it without disconnecting the network? I can't change software version...

• Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:39 PM In reply to

Rollback to W10 1909 solved my problem. After Rollback don't forget to set Function Update delay to the max 365 days.

I tried W10 2004 Update in the beginning of October again at exactly same system and now I have no problem at all. But I did a manually update of all drivers before. Maybe it is a good idea too, to force installing all W10 2004 avilable monthly updates. I'm not sure if "manually driver update before W10 2004" or a "W10 2004 monthly update after August" solved my problem. 

• Wed, Oct 28 2020 10:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,448
    • Points 234,020
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Raff kindly updated the Win Knowledge base article

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/Windows-10-life-cycle

marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 29 2020 6:59 AM In reply to

Marianna:

Thank you Raff. I guess it would overcomplicate things to create a compatibility matrix of MC versions tested on OS versions. But I assume Avid hasn't, isn't and is not going to test MC 2020.9 on windows 10 1703 for example.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Thu, Oct 29 2020 12:43 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,448
    • Points 234,020
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jereon,

I dont think HW testing will do that as it is older.....  

As an FYI.....  

Feature release 1809 will EOL on Nov 10, 2020 (delayed due to Covid)

Feature release 1903 will EOL on Dec 8, 2020

After Dec 8th, only 1909, 2004 and 20H2 will be supported by Microsoft.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 29 2020 12:59 PM In reply to

Thanks Marianna,

Marianna:

And therefor also by Avid? Just typically?

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Thu, Oct 29 2020 2:01 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Thanks Marianna,

Marianna:

And therefor also by Avid? Just typically?

It makes sense for Avid to stop supporting an OS when the suppier does. Keeping software compatible with an ever growing list of OS versions must be a drain on developer resources.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:45 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    It makes sense for Avid to stop supporting an OS when the suppier does. Keeping software compatible with an ever growing list of OS versions must be a drain on developer resources.

Of course, makes perfect sense. However with the current status quo taken forward another 5-6 weeks that would practically mean that we are down to 1 supported version (or 100% functional version. take for example the BSOD issue with nitris/mojo dx in 2004), Windows 10 1909.

As long as 1909 can be installed on new workstations and in most configurations a fresh/clean setup of 2004/20H2 also seems to work I'm not starting to panic. But whatever the issues were/are in the early updates of the 2004 version, the result is now that Avid did not manage to iron out all issues in 2004 before Microsoft moved on to 20H2. The good news being that Microsoft will service 1909 for another year at least (who knows what changes Covid-19 might bring?).

But take this process another 1 or 2 years forward and in a worst case scenario we might end up only being able to run MC on Windows versions that are not longer serviced by Microsoft. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller