Latest post Thu, Nov 12 2020 5:28 PM by pianoman72. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 16 2020 2:58 AM

• Weibo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 10 2015
    • Posts 6
    • Points 75

How to deal with old H264 files linked with QuickTime-Plugin?

Hi,

I recently updated to Catalina and 10.15.3 and MC 2020.6. And I have a simple issue that bothers me a lot. I think it would happen to a lot of people.

Since there is no QT any more in Catalina, so all the mp4 codec mov files linked with QT-Plugin is not playable any more along with my finished timeline with those mp4 clips. It is showing “Exception: Failed to setup a sample provider!”(ProRes and DNxHD files are still playable even it is showing QT-Plugin in the Plugin. But the sequence is not playable even I put the indicator on prores clips.) I can definitely link those files again with UME but it would appear as different files in my bin.

So in order to save my sequence, I tried to unlink and relink those mp4 files and was hoping it would relink with UME so the sequence would be refreshed and become OK. But I believe MC is trying to link those files based on the original info of the file in which the plugin is QT-Plugin. And the problem remains the same. If I use "relink to file(s)", it is showing Unable to relink clip to selected file. It may be incompatible with the original........

Theoretically it is still linked and if I reveal file, it would direct to the correct file in my finder. It is just not playable.

I wonder if there is a way to relink those old files with UME so I can rescue my timeline.
    Thanks a lot!

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 7:10 AM In reply to

Re: How to deal with old mp4 files linked with QuickTime-Plugin?

Avid Universal Media Engine on page 4 of this document explains how it is supposed to work:

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNew_MediaComposer_v20.4.pdf

Files linked with QuickTime in previous versions of Media Composer will not be automatically promoted to UME in MC 2020.4. As a result, on systems where QuickTime is not installed, you need to manually update your sequences with newly linked clips.

Weibo:
    I can definitely link those files again with UME but it would appear as different files in my bin.

What does 'it appears as different files in my bin' mean, exactly? Do the files have the same metadata - timecode, file name, duration, etc - but display different audio and video?

Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 7:54 AM In reply to

• Weibo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 75

Thank you for your reply. So currently I have to over cut the sequence to remake, correct? I was about to check the timecode of each segment on the timeline but then I realized it won’t allow me matching frame to find the timecode of In and out point of each used clip.
    Yes they show the same metadata, FPS, AR,Tracks, etc and they are the same video and audio (I cannot play the old files in MC but they are the same.). The Plugin definitely shows differently. And I checked all the columns, there are some minor differences: UME-linked clips show Track Formats while QT-linked files show blank, UME-linked don’t show Audio Format, Field Ordering, etc. UME shows H264 (HD-1080) while QT just show H264 in Video column. One important thing, I found that some of the clips show different duration in metadata of ONE frame. The one linked with UME shows one frame longer than the QT linked. For example 8:51:12 and 8:51:11. But I’m 100% sure they link to the same file. And this only happens to some clips. No matter whether they show the same duration or not, the QT linked one won’t allow me to use “relink to file(s)”.

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 8:57 AM In reply to

Weibo:
    they show the same metadata, FPS, AR,Tracks, etc and they are the same video and audio

So they're linking correctly, but not playing back correctly? Is that right? If so, do they transcode? My thought is if they transcode you could transcode them to DNxHD (or whatever resolution you prefer) and continue working.

Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 8:20 PM In reply to

• Weibo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 75

Sorry I’ll explain more clearly.
    For example, I have one clip previously linked with QTplugin in my bin named Footage01 directing to actually file Footage01 (h264codec Mov file) in finder. We can call this clip in bin “Footage01(A)” and it is not playable in MC at all. Now I link the actually Mov file Footage01 in finder again into this bin with UME and it shows as “Footage01” as well, but it is a different clip in the same bin, we call it Footage01(B). It has almost the same metadata with (A) but it is playable in MC and I can cut with it for sure.
    The thing is the old timeline was assembled with lots of clips like Footage01(A). So even I transcode Footage01(B), it has nothing to do with the timeline. Footage01 (A) definitely cannot be transcoded because MC cannot decode it since there is no QT anymore. I was hoping I can unlink (A) and relink it with UME so that the exact clip (A) can become playable, then the timeline would work as well. It does show offline after I unlink it, but I don’t get to choose the plugin in the relink window (of course) and MC will relink it with QTplugin again since that’s the plugin in the file Info. (Or we can say the designed function of Relink is to find a file instead of changing the link plugin.) The result is that it is still not playable.
    Based on the 2020.4 update notes, the old file (A) won’t be promoted to be linked with UME automatically when upgrading MC and user has to MANUALLY update the whole timeline with the file (B)s which are newly linked with UME. So I think it is implying that the old file linked through QTplugin, won’t be promoted to be linked with UME not only automatically but also manually. I have to link it again and get lots of (B)s and then update the timeline with them manually.

While I am writing these it gave me some inspiration. I tried to convert all the H264 files into ProRes in Finder and remove the H264 files, so the Footage01(A) will link to the new-made ProRes file, even it is still using QTPlugin but since they are ProRes, it is playable in MC. I think I'll have to do it this way to save the timeline.

Thanks!

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 8:32 PM In reply to

Weibo:
    I don’t get to choose the plugin in the relink window (of course) and MC will relink it with QTplugin again since that’s the plugin in the file Info. (Or we can say the designed function of Relink is to find a file instead of changing the link plugin.)

What if you try to change the linking of Footage01(A) from Quicktime to UME in the Source Browser instead of using Relink? Does that work?

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 9:41 PM In reply to

• Weibo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 75

Sorry, I am not 100% sure what you mean. Footage01(A) is a clip already in the bin. In Source Browser I can link the actual file Footage01 from finder into the bin (by choosing the UME Link or Autodetect) but the result is it makes a different clip Footage01(B). To my knowledge, the Source Browser is used for browsing only the file on the disk, not the clips in the bin, correct?

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 10:16 PM In reply to

You should be able to force the system to relink to the mp4 files using UME just like you would if you needed to relink to the original files after editing at a lower resolution. This is what I'd try:

1. Close all bins except the bin with your sequence in it.

2. Create a new bin.

3. Open the source browser and link - using UME - to all the mp4 mov files that were previously linked with Quicktime.

At this point, it may be that your sequence magically comes back online. If it doesn't, continue.

4. Highlight your sequence and all of the clips you linked in step 3.

5. Select 'relink'. Ensure 'all items in all open bins' is selected (I don't know the exact words, but it's something like that).

• Mon, Aug 17 2020 9:15 AM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 324
    • Points 3,645

3. Open the source browser and link - using UME - to all the mp4 mov files that were previously linked with Quicktime.

What if your source clips are scattered over many folders ?

( say an edit from several months gopro footage, ech day in a separate folder, with in a monthly folder.....) a lot of manual re-linking.)

Numerous clients 8.3 to 2020.x with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: 2017 15" i7 MacbookPro OS11 MC2020.12 16GB, Esata... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 17 2020 9:59 AM In reply to

Copy the final sequence to a new empty bin. Under the bin fast menu chose set bin display and tick show reference clips.

Now you can see all the clips used in just that sequence. Thos clips can be copied to yet another bin (leave the sequence behind and turn off show reference clips after moving the revealed master clips)

Now you have a bin full of master clips. Sort by the offline column heading and remove (don't delete media just master clips) all thsoe clips that aren't offline.

You now have just the offline clips from that sequence. These are the ones that you need to resolve.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Oct 26 2020 6:09 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 521
    • Points 5,980

My problem with these methods is that, while the NEW source clips pull in as UME, only SOME of the clips are UME after relinking.

In the attached screenshot the left side is the relinked bin and the right side are freshly linked clips - same media.

The clips without any listing in the "plug-in" column will NOT play.

Can you force UME somehow?

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 12 2020 5:28 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 521
    • Points 5,980

OK there are 2 potential ways to solve this.

1) Try on a machine with a different OS. In my case Mojave does a much better job vs High Sierra. The screenshot above was able to UME all the clips except two on Mojave.

2) Check the START timecode. In the example above clip 899 has a different START. I modified the two freshly imported clips to match the START from the original imports and relink succeeded after that.

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller