Latest post Sun, Aug 16 2020 10:41 PM by jwrl. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 29 2020 5:39 PM

Keyboard Numpad Customization & other efficiencies.

Are there any plans to add keyboard customization to the numeric pad in the (hopefully) very near future? If not, what are the technical or general reasons why not? I've been hoping this would be added since I started using Media Composer in 2003. 

Ideally, keyboard shortcut levels could be expanded beyond just the shift level - I'm maxed out as it is. I'd like to see all modifier key and combo possiblities available and all commands be mappable.

The numeric pad would be extremely useful and efficient. Multicam angles could be mapped, video and audio tracks, primary editing commands - all in a convenient area of the keyboard using different shortcut levels.

The more I can map to the keyboard the less I have to mouse around and then move my hand between the mouse and the keyboard. This might not seem like it takes a lot of time but it adds up and reduces efficiency. 

Premiere and Resolve, iirc, both allow for numeric pad and all modifier keys (alt, control, option, command, etc). 

This may require a re-work of how shortcuts are applied (command palette/menu commands dragged to the keyboard) but I think it would be tremendously helpful. 

A feature that really sped up my editing was the keyboard shortcuts for "move clip up/down". Seems so small and simple but is a really big time saver. If holding a modifier key could by-pass overwriting as you move a clip up or down that would be awesome. 

Further, a shortcut to select clip at position would be great too. So, I don't have to mouse to the clip and then left-click to select. Holding a modifier key and going to next edit could select multiple clips. Another modifier or setting could ignore tracks.  I know you can alt + drag to lasso select clips but that's using the mouse again.

While I'm at it - support for other control devices. Like the Loupedeck devices. My understanding is they need access to an SDK to implement support. Currently Premiere Pro and FCP X support this.

Using the loupdeck to control colour correction, effect parameters, audio levels, etc. would be amazingly helpful.

Hopefully I'm not the only editor that's been wanting some or all of these suggestions but anything that can be done to increase our efficiency and customization of how we interact and control Media Composer would be most welcome. Thanks!

• Thu, Jul 30 2020 8:16 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,766
    • Points 67,700

Re: Keyboard Numpad Customization & other efficiencies.

The numpad is used to enter numeric values in various commands (trim, goto, move the cursor xxx frames back-forward, etc), I fear making it fully customizable would break too many MC's core features.

Symphony 20.10, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Jul 30 2020 11:20 AM In reply to

Isn’t that what NumLock would let them work around? It would allow mapping the keys while keeping the functionality as the numeric keypad.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 30 2020 3:39 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply. That's a concern but other software is able to make it work. So, it's possible. I don't know if Premiere or Resolve default to similar core features on the num pad like Media Composer. I'm not a software engineer and I respect that it isn't as easy as writing a few lines of code. It'd be great to know if this is even technically feasible or not.

I think it may take the ability to map any command to the keyboard so that the current use can be the default but the user can choose to customize to their preference. Currently, we can't say change the "Q" key to be the number 1.  An interim step could be to limit num pad customization to shift level commands (and ideally more key combinations). 

My view is just that UI updates and other improvements are great and help but the most important focus should be on how the user interacts and controls the software. Making that as efficient and customizable as possible. 

My use would be to have say Control + # = Select video tracks, Control + Shift + # = Select Audio tracks, Alt + # = Multicam angles. Currently, I use the main keyboard area numbers on main level for select video tracks and shift level select audio tracks. It'd be easier to access these on the num pad and frees up the main keyboard area for other commands. 

By having the video and audio tracks as keyboard shortcuts I can avoid having to switch to using the mouse to click/drag to select tracks - something I do hundreds of times per day. I just find this a lot faster. However, expanding customization lets everyone work with fewer restrictions.

Thanks again for the reply!

• Thu, Jul 30 2020 3:41 PM In reply to

If that could work - that'd be a reasonable function. 

• Fri, Jul 31 2020 11:01 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

I work with another piece of software that allows any arbitrary key or combination of keys to be assigned to a function.  If you decide that to select V1 you should hold down the V key and press 1 key you can do it.  You can also make use of truly unwieldy key combinations like Shift-Ctrl-Alt-[any key].

Of course the downside is remembering those arcane key combinations that at the time seemed like such a good idea.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 14 2020 8:38 PM In reply to

jwrl:

I work with another piece of software that allows any arbitrary key or combination of keys to be assigned to a function.  If you decide that to select V1 you should hold down the V key and press 1 key you can do it.  You can also make use of truly unwieldy key combinations like Shift-Ctrl-Alt-[any key].

Of course the downside is remembering those arcane key combinations that at the time seemed like such a good idea.

Apologies for the delayed response.

If there's a better way to improve functionality I'm all for it. I like the sound of holding down one key to enable different functions. I'm curious which software you are referring to? 

Multi-Key combos are annoying but if you use the shortcuts many times per day they do become second nature - moreso when the user can decide what they want. My main and shift-level are maxed out and there are more functions I'd like to map. In the past I've added one or two new shortcuts until they are memorized and then add a few more and repeat.

In-app macros would be great too. When I assisted at a facility with 40+ edit suites I could be working on any one (or ones) per shift and it wouldn't be practical to install macro software on them all (if allowed). 

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 1:01 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

upsidedownjim:
    I'm curious which software you are referring to?
    I'm reluctant to come to a forum for a product and promote a rival product.  I'll just say that it's an NLE that's been around for roughly the same amount of time as Avid.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 16 2020 11:58 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,783
    • Points 48,355
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

jwrl:
    I'm reluctant to come to a forum for a product and promote a rival product. 
    It's OK, you can tell us what it is.

Most of us here use other products besides Media Composer. Round tripping to Resolve for color corrections is pretty common, as is using After Effects for compositiing. Premiere, Lightworks, etc. all have keyboard mapping. And I'm pretty sure that Premiere lets you create macros and assign them to the keyboard.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 2:35 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,766
    • Points 67,700

Since the rival product has been around as long as Avid I guess it's the Lightworks. Early versions of MC used to ship with an external macro recorder, later on relied on some OS built in script builder-runner, can't even remember the name and if it was OSX or earlier. What I miss the most on MC 2019 and 2020 is the ability to buffer commands while saving or executing previously quickly entered multiple commands.

Symphony 20.10, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 10:41 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

DStone:
    It's OK, you can tell us what it is.

Most of us here use other products besides Media Composer. Round tripping to Resolve for color corrections is pretty common, as is using After Effects for compositiing. Premiere, Lightworks, etc. all have keyboard mapping. And I'm pretty sure that Premiere lets you create macros and assign them to the keyboard.

I just see it as a courtesy thing - Avid pay for this website, after all.  And the fact that I'm a moderator for the Lightworks user forums makes it even more awkward from my point of view.  However as luca guessed from my not-very-subtle clue, it is in fact Lightworks, which also has its own extremely powerful macro language.

Coincidentally, it has also been wrestling with UI changes.  The way that the developers have chosen to handle the issue is to provide two: the original version, which is called "classic" or "flexible", and the newer version, "fixed".  Personally I hate the fixed interface, but new users seem to like it.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller