Latest post Wed, Aug 5 2020 2:23 PM by jcmcnamee. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 30 2020 8:46 AM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 1 2012
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 71
    • Points 750

Re: ARM vs Intel: Which Macintosh to Buy?

Hello Pat!

The way I see it, a computer is always superceded, when a newer model is released to replace it. Intel MacPro will be the last to be addressed in the transition, i.e. in within two years, which in part is good news, since we've been witing for its latest refresh for six years - being superceded by the iMac Pro, in the meantime.

Apple said it will suppport Intel Macs for years to come, in cryptic statements, without specifying more accurately what time frame would that represent. I think they wouldn't want to defraud customers who made large investments in such kind of Macs - some of which were about to jump ship to Windows,as I did.
    More than raw numbers, it's about reputation and reputation is business. I believe that they will not overlook it as they did in the past. In this regard, it's reasonable to think that the MacPro will not be obsolete anytime soon.

Marianna already stepped in with information that Avid is already working on the subject and hopefully, we'll have news in a few months. Whatever comes out of that work will be the missing piece of information to answer your question properly.

For now, I think we'll have to be on the lookout for these three developments, to be able to draw a satisfactory conclusion and make informed decisions.

Obviously, this is my perspective. I'd like to know what others have to say about this. That's the purpose of this topic. Feel free to contribute to the discussion.

MC 8.8.5 | PT 11.3.1 | MacOS 10.12.6| iMac 21,5" - i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB | Caldigit AV Drive 1 TB. [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

Media Composer editor, since 1997.

Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Jun 30 2020 11:15 AM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 316
    • Points 3,565

with the time taken for AVID to catch up with apple OS changes, will AVID still support mediacomposer on mac hardware?

Numerous clients mojo to Nitris PC systems 6.5 to 2018.3 with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: new 2017 15" i7 MacbookPro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 30 2020 11:52 AM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 71
    • Points 750

I believe so.

Not only there are a lot of Media Composer Mac users, but also, the Mac user base has increased in the past 15 years. The question is how will Avid do it and when.

I think is best to recall what Marianna said.

Marianna:

The Apple WWDC just ended last week and Avid is working on understanding the impact of the Apple silicon announcement related to Intel and future Macs.  When we have information to share, we will deliver it at that time.....   We don’t expect to have any information for a few months......

At this stage, we will have to be a bit patient and wait...

MC 8.8.5 | PT 11.3.1 | MacOS 10.12.6| iMac 21,5" - i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB | Caldigit AV Drive 1 TB. [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

• Tue, Jun 30 2020 12:11 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,361
    • Points 53,900

For many complex applications, familiarity and thorough understanding of the interactions of hardware and software are crucial to the success of the application.

For buy-in to this mega shift there will have to be tangiblie benefit regards to application performance versus the obvious alternative.

Some developers may decide supporting three environments would over tax their ability to develop and nurture already complex and costly products.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Tue, Jun 30 2020 1:46 PM In reply to

Its worth bearing in mind the "cost" of supporting yet another hardware platform will have on Avids development.

Currently we have 2 development paths Intel Mac Intel PC. With ARM Mac that will become 3 platforms for as lomg as they support Intel Mac.

So for al the bug fixes and new feratures there will ber an additional overhead in supporting that 3rd platform.

That will impact on develoment.

I think it wlll also depend on what Adove and Resolve handle it as well. If they support all three then Avid may have no choice.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Jun 30 2020 4:09 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 71
    • Points 750

Pat Horridge:

I think it wlll also depend on what Adove and Resolve handle it as well. If they support all three then Avid may have no choice.

In Apple's Keynote, both Microsoft Office and... yes... Adobe Creative Cloud are already supporting ARM. Photoshop already runs in it. I believe the rest of the apps will follow.

Unless the industry leaves the arena to Premiere and Final Cut, I would say it has to take part in it. 

Miguel

• Tue, Jun 30 2020 4:20 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,265
    • Points 231,895
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

My lips are sealed.........   Huh?

Off to help peeps - specualtion threads take too much time even while they can be fun.....

Ping me if you see anyone that needs help.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jul 9 2020 9:32 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 71
    • Points 750

Here's is an interesting reading, about this topic.

Should I Buy an Intel Mac Today or Wait to Buy an Arm-Based Mac?

I swear I had nothing to do with this one. Big Smile

Miguel

• Tue, Aug 4 2020 3:52 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 71
    • Points 750

Well, everyone!

If you decide youselves for an Intel Mac, this will be the last generation of them.

Miguel

• Tue, Aug 4 2020 4:07 PM In reply to

There is a topic somewhere on this. moving to ARM will require Avid to port the code to the new processor and it will mean an additional testing and coding stream ongoing further diluting the development efforts.

My hope is Avid finally drop Mac support but I don't think thats likely. Sadly it may slow MC development and cause a further divide betwen Mc and competeing products.

Who knows.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Aug 5 2020 8:22 AM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 71
    • Points 750

Well, Pat… I really hope that will not be the case.

I've been editing in both platforms and clearly, the Macintosh is the one that serves me best.
    It's more stable, with better resource management and… less bugs. MacOS is Unix based.

It's unknownst to me how exactly was the transistion from PPC to Intel approached and how was the pre-Intel era dealt with, where you had two different types of processor…

There are also people asking for a Linux version, which is still a neglected platform, although being robust.

So, again, I hope Avid doesn't ditch the Mac.

Miguel

• Wed, Aug 5 2020 11:17 AM In reply to

They tried that once, to ditch the Mac version, (which is why my first Avid system was a PC, even though I used to be Mac-only), so I doubt they will ever try that again, as it caused a lot of backlash. That said, I've been using both. For a while, the PC versions seemed more stable to me. For the last couple of years, stability seems comparable. But the Mac version of MC feels a little more responsive to me. Granted, I'm comparing apples and oranges, as I'm using a Late 2013 iMac, a 2018 MBPro, a dual hex z800 and a dual 10c z840.

I think I would happily make an iMac my main editing system if there were any way to add matching monitors to it. I would likely then keep an HPZ as a secondary station for specific tasks.

More importantly is the question if Apple is going to ditch Avid and us. Apple have a history of dropping 'our' market segment. First when they stopped making 6-slot machines, the by dropping the Mac Pro, then by neglecting the Trashcan Mac Pro. 

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 5 2020 12:08 PM In reply to

This is the reply from an ex-student of mine who now works as a senior editor for DC Universe in Hollywood, when I asked him last year about the rumour that Apple were possibly withdrawing support for Avid:

1) I haven't heard anything about that. If there's any truth to it, that certainly would send shockwaves through the industry. Most big budget scripted shows edit Avid, and with Macs. There was a recent bug that went around on macs where all of our ISIS's got corrupted. Turns out it was some patch with Google Chrome that was causing it. I hope they don't go to PC. Its been so long and I"m so fast with the Mac version I'm stubborn as a mule and would hate to have to relearn anything.

For those of us who also work in Pro Tools, I put the same question to a staff member at HHB who replied that "Apple and Pro Tools are working more closely than they've ever been". This will come as a relief to anyone who's had to suffer the ASIO exclusivty issue with Pro Tools in Windows.

Speaking as someone who has to work on both platforms, I'll take Mac every time.

• Wed, Aug 5 2020 12:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,265
    • Points 231,895
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Peirs....

No plans to ditch but we are working through the new technology and have yest to determine and announce anything yet.

I know that as soon as we know on the mC side, we will communicate that info.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Aug 5 2020 2:00 PM In reply to

Make it quick! I'm desperately hanging onto my mid-2011 iMac, while using my 2019 laptop for work. I need a new Mac, and I want it to be an ARM, but it's got to be Avid-friendly. God forbid that I migrate to a Windows PC...

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller