Latest post Thu, Jul 2 2020 6:02 PM by Pat Horridge. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 12 2020 3:07 PM

Prores in AVID Media composer: when is it 10 bit?

LS,

As I have experienced in the recent past,

the always 10bit Prores codec, was actually 8bit when exported out of AVID.

So, a 10 bit AVID sequence (10bit material handled as 10bit within AVID)

came out as 8 bit ProRes4444 (yep even then), Prores 422 HQ et cet...

We learned this verbally from the chief of the Dutch division of the AVID.

It confirmed the experience we already had but couldn't clarify.

Quicktime.

Obviously, we chose another route.

As prores remains a very handy format in a MAC OS environment,

I'd like to know when and or how Prores remains it's 10bit quality in the AVID world?

Mainly with respect to transcoded H265 to Prores material ingested in AVID,

as to avoid third party software as there is no posibility to link to HEVC directly.

Best regards,

Noël

• Tue, May 12 2020 3:38 PM In reply to

Re: Prores in AVID Media composer: when is it 10 bit?

What version MC was this on? Pre 2020.4 with the new UME export option?

I believe the bit depth can be retained now.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, May 12 2020 6:10 PM In reply to

Noël van Rens:
    was actually 8bit when exported out of AVID.

Hmmm, is it?

I can confirm that when I export out of AVID using ProRes HQ, whether via Same As Source or through QT conversion, my files are 10-bit. Verified by checking in QT Player, After Effects (both based on color count) as well as Resolve (where it actually shows bit depth).

J

Hackintosh i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.14.6. Symphony 2019.12.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2020 3:54 PM In reply to

Noël van Rens:

So, a 10 bit AVID sequence (10bit material handled as 10bit within AVID)

came out as 8 bit ProRes4444 (yep even then), Prores 422 HQ et cet...

2019.x and earlier, it was recommended to not export to ProRes via the Custom Quicktime export settings. In stead, you could mixdown your sequence to ProRes HQ, then do a Same As Source export on the mixdown. That should keep things 10bit, and prevent any of the QT engine's issues.

In 2020.x, you can export to MOV or Op1A, neither of wich use Quicktime, but rather Avid's own new Universal Media Engine. That should allow you to export to 10bit, but I haven't tried.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 2 2020 1:54 PM In reply to

Hi Jason,

"Checking' is relative. We checked metata and saw something else on the scopes

and even visibly  looking at the footage on the ref-monitor (noise, slight banding).

So I can definiively tell you that there are (were, as we are in the realm of  MC 2020 now)

conversions that say they are 10- but realy are 8 bit.

Cheers,

Noël

• Thu, Jul 2 2020 6:02 PM In reply to

use the freeware QCTools it can actually show you the data for each bit so you actually see detail (or not) in bits 9 and 10.

Just tested on MC 2020.6 I can export as Prores422HQ and choose 8,10 or 12 bit.

I AMA linked in a 10bit 4K file and exported as 1920x1080 ProRes422 HQ at 10 bit and QCTools confirmed there was data in bits 9 and 10.

But pretty sure before UME as long as you did SAS export and avoided custome export you could get 10 bit out.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller