Latest post Fri, May 8 2020 8:51 PM by jef. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 8 2020 12:37 AM

• dharia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Posts 188
    • Points 2,345

MC 2018.10 to Latest? Promo Production House

Hi all. I work for a promo production house where we work for sports and lots of broadcast networks, still at HD, but super fast paced, national promos, 5 editors tied to a shared server, but in a very classic way, no complex mediacentral or any of that. Just clean and streamlined shared storage and 5 Mac Pro Classic Towers 12 core with 3GB AMD cards/SSDS, and we version and edit all day like fighter pilots, national promos, shipping fast.

Curious though, we loved stability and fast speed, but we've been editing here together the same people, since Meridien AVID, we're in our 30s young guys and we'll be here.

Do you think we upgrade our towers to a certain MC 2019 or 2020 version? We do like Mojave Mac OS for its 32bit/64bit mix so we'll stay with that. 

We were just thinking if we always stay at 2018 with the classic UI and functionality its great for pumping out work but one day we'll have to switch and we might be like "ok wait MC 2024, how in the world do we use this?" Because going from MC 2.0 to MC 2018 for anyone wouldn't be a jump but MC 2019 and 2020 are huge jumps.

Thoughts?

• Fri, May 8 2020 9:40 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

Re: MC 2018.10 to Latest? Promo Production House

Dharia, I would personally urge you to stay with 2018 and trail 2019/20 off base or with a spare offline suite. With such a throughput and workload you don't want to be risking downtime. If you're still at HD, as we are, like most broadcast, there's nothing essential you're missing.

The new interface is not a huge learning curve for an experienced Avid editor but it can be frustrating for media management and bins - you could be tearing your hair out and losing valuble time getting used to it on the job. I really like it a lot and believe it's the way to go,  but it's not fully there yet, it doesn't behave 100% expectedly.

Hope this helps.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.4, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 8 2020 12:42 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,721
    • Points 44,650

I totally agree w Mercer.  You need to set up a test machine for all to play with.

The big thing to know is that for the first time in Avid history, your project in 2020.4 MIGHT not be backwards compatiblle.  This mainly has to do with new linking tools and the elimination of QT.  Why is this important?  If you all switched to 2020.4, ran it for awhile and then decided to go back, depending on your workflow, the projects created with 2020.4 might not work well in 2018.xxxxxxx.  Again, this is why you need to set up a test bed and beat on it HARD.

Stay safe and good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, May 8 2020 2:18 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

jef:

Why is this important?  If you all switched to 2020.4, ran it for awhile and then decided to go back, depending on your workflow, the projects created with 2020.4 might not work well in 2018.xxxxxxx.  

Jef

Totally agree - I'd missed that - and the single most important reason - at the moment.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.4, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 8 2020 7:50 PM In reply to

• dharia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Posts 188
    • Points 2,345

Thanks a lot for the input guys!

Ok one last question since I don't have a test machinea around besides my home Mac laptop which I might try this on.

What do you guys think of the Titler+ tool?  

What we like in fast paced sports promo editing and national feeds, is we can make a sequence, drop a buncha spots down, and then put "slates" between them fast with the classic title tool just quick test to ID each spot.

Is the titler+ tool that effficient nad fast/simple or newblue at all? Just wondering since 2019/2020 don't run title tool.

We even use title tool quickly to add disclaimers from clients, copy paste, position it and we're set with classic title tool.

• Fri, May 8 2020 8:51 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,721
    • Points 44,650

First, for a test system, you could set up a dual boot partition.  That way you would be able to see how it works with your shared storage and normal hardware.  Simple as the cost of a small drive.

As for the Titler +, I have no real experience.  But original title tool is not really dead.  It can be installed on non Catalina OS as an additional install if I understand it.  You will see that when looking at the download options.

I think it's biggest issue is that it is new and does somethings quite differently.  Not intuitive for long time users.  There are some issues.  Such as on Mac it currently does not see all the fonts in some families of fonts.  I think Windows is ok.  Stuff like that.  Once again, a test system available to all to beat on will let you know.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller