Latest post Tue, Mar 17 2020 9:40 PM by Alayne Holmes. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 15 2020 3:21 PM

• Graham Hardy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 25 2014
    • Huddersfield
    • Posts 19
    • Points 280

Any value left in an Avid Dongle

Hi all, a long time since Ive been on this forum but I have two dongles - one for Avid Express and one for Media Composer, both on PC platforms.  Think heh MC one is for ver 5.xx.  My old computer finally gave up the ghost last year and the dongle is sitting around doing nothing.  Just wondering how I can make best use of them, as I do very little editing these days and any I do I can do on Medica Composer First on my Macbook, and if and when I need the full MC Im assuming I can pay a monthly subscription fort he ful version.  In the meantime what do I do with the dongles....?

Graham

MC Version 8.4.2 Windows 7 professional service pack 1 HPz400 MC ver 3.0.5 HP XW8400 Windows XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 15 2020 4:12 PM In reply to

Re: Any value left in an Avid Dongle

Some people still love dongles. I have a current one I update every year. Means I can easily run MC on any non networked computer at the current version.

Avid have amnesties every now and then to cheese off those of us that faithfully renew each year. But it would be a chance for you to renew your perpeptual license.

Or sell them on ebay.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sun, Mar 15 2020 5:05 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,771
    • Points 62,135

Pat Horridge:

...Avid have amnesties every now and then to cheese off those of us that faithfully renew each year...

Lol - made my day, Pat

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Mar 15 2020 9:33 PM In reply to

Graham Hardy:
    My old computer finally gave up the ghost last year and the dongle is sitting around doing nothing.  Just wondering how I can make best use of them, as I do very little editing these days

Graham

Spend a little for a second hand Windows 7 capable computer, or probably even less for an old Mac Pro with a Mac OS approved for MC 5.5.x.  Then your dongles will give you unlimited access to all old projects and unlimited access to making new projects on MC whilst still editing with the MC 5.5 version that you are familiar with.   Your dongle will then make MC Projects available anytime at no cost to you until the perpetual licence on the dongle expires.  (That is sometime after 2060 I believe.)

For me monthly subscription will eventually become a PIA. Why?  When ever the monthly subscription is not current I will have no access to MC until I update the subscription to the current months subscription. 

Alayne

• Sun, Mar 15 2020 9:45 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,726
    • Points 44,715

You could also sell the dongle to someone who wants one at less than the current asking price new from Avid.  They could then upgrade it.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Mar 15 2020 10:37 PM In reply to

I also agree with the value of a dongle. Being physical, you can also insure it, loan it and use it where internet access might be an issue.

Even my Resolve license is a dongle.

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 16 2020 2:18 PM In reply to

• Graham Hardy
    • Not Ranked
    • Huddersfield
    • Posts 19
    • Points 280

Thanks guys - ideally I would keep the MC dongle and upgrade it to whatever version I can, and then see if I can convert it somehow to use with my Macbook?-

Im assuming the last version avialaible for a dongle is the one before the move to the subscription model? Was that 8.xx?  Cna somone point me in the direction of the upgrade paths and costs?  

This is all a bit specultaive at the moment cos I'm in Italy and my kit is in the UK - so I cant do much about it until I get back, but as I'm under benign house arrest I thought Id make use of the time....

G

MC Version 8.4.2 Windows 7 professional service pack 1 HPz400 MC ver 3.0.5 HP XW8400 Windows XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 16 2020 2:33 PM In reply to

Graham Hardy:
    Im assuming the last version avialaible for a dongle is the one before the move to the subscription model?

That assumption is incorrect, dongled licenses can still be used on current releases of MC. Dongles are still sold (as a paid option).

There are two parallel models of licenses: perpetual (you buy and own the license forever) and subscription (monthly or annual rentals). Perpetual licenses can be kept under support, allowing the owner to keep it up to date on the latest versions of MC.

Graham Hardy:
    Cna somone point me in the direction of the upgrade paths and costs?  

Depends. If your license is not under an active support contract, then you probably can't upgrade. Seems your only option then is to buy a new perpetual license. You might be able to tie that new license to your old dongle, but I'm not sure.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 16 2020 2:33 PM In reply to

Graham Hardy:
    Im assuming the last version avialaible for a dongle is the one before the move to the subscription model?

That assumption is incorrect, dongled licenses can still be used on current releases of MC. Dongles are still sold (as a paid option).

There are two parallel models of licenses: perpetual (you buy and own the license forever) and subscription (monthly or annual rentals). Perpetual licenses can be kept under support, allowing the owner to keep it up to date on the latest versions of MC.

Graham Hardy:
    Cna somone point me in the direction of the upgrade paths and costs?  

Depends. If your license is not under an active support contract, then you probably can't upgrade. Seems your only option then is to buy a new perpetual license. You might be able to tie that new license to your old dongle, but I'm not sure.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 17 2020 10:15 AM In reply to

• Graham Hardy
    • Not Ranked
    • Huddersfield
    • Posts 19
    • Points 280

So to summarise

Avid still sells a perceptual license and dongle for €1500. 

I can update my dongle but only by buying a new Perceptual license, for €1500.

Anyone who might buy my dongle would have to buy a new perceptual license - for €1500, with the added complication of transferring system id's.  Rather than just buyng a new license and dongle from Avid that would be tailor made to their system.

Or - As I own MC 5.7.1 I can 'crossgrade' to the new subscription model but this will cost me €35/month for a year, (and giving up the dongle) rather than getting a new subscription for €28/month for the year.  No value to me then, or did I miss something?

• Tue, Mar 17 2020 11:39 AM In reply to

Graham Hardy:
    Anyone who might buy my dongle would have to buy a new perceptual license - for €1500, with the added complication of transferring system id's.  Rather than just buyng a new license and dongle from Avid that would be tailor made to their system.

Actually some might have current perpetual licenses and might be able to use your dongle, with the advantages that a dongle based system bring.

Also Avid may well be give another chance for you to upgrade to the current version as Pat has suggested.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 17 2020 9:40 PM In reply to

Graham Hardy:
    or did I miss something?
    You can keep you dongle as it is and carry on using it with the latest version of MC that your dongle is updated to. This has no cost to you for the life of the dongles perpetual licence which is probably 2060 or later. 

To find your dongle licence details plug it in and open the dongle manager.

Alayne

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller