Latest post Mon, Mar 2 2020 9:05 PM by cls105. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 1 2020 12:07 AM

Mute Clips should be a single TOGGLE Key

Mute Clips is a binary tolggle function so why is it two separate keys?  

Switching tracks on and off are also binary toggles and they are just a single key which toggles on and then off (as you'd expect).  

Can "Mute Clips" also be made to do this so I don't waste two keeys of my already overflowing keyboard settings?!

Thanks,

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB, OS X 10.12.6) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Sun, Mar 1 2020 8:41 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 166
    • Points 2,165

Re: Mute Clips should be a single TOGGLE Key

From another thread:

Cutyes:
    Hm, I see that there might be specific situations in which toggling could be the better option for a given task. But in general I would rather say that the separate commands give you better control. To mute/unmute the whole timeline or a bunch of consecutive clips, toggling would be fine. But, for example, if you had a mixed series of clips, some already muted and some not, and you wanted to mute or unmute all of them, toggling would just invert the clips. The command wouldn't know whether to leave the unmuted clips unmuted or the muted clips muted.

• Sun, Mar 1 2020 10:12 AM In reply to

Cutyes:

...for example, if you had a mixed series of clips, some already muted and some not, and you wanted to mute or unmute all of them, toggling would just invert the clips.

Funnily enough, I can also see where that could be a useful function, particularly if you had two sets of several audio clips prepared that I wanted to play to the director, one set first and then select both sets, toggle Mute, then play the other set. That would be quicker than clicking several tracks' tiny mute buttons and then click the other set of tracks to unmute them OR select each set, Mute the unmute set, select the other and Unmute that. These current mrthods take time that directors often don't have the patients for.

I guess it could be a user preference where you could decide in advance if you prefer to toggle 'opposite' status OR toggle 'all status' on or all off no matter their status (if any clips were not the same mute status as the others in the selection, that is).

Do you have a link to the other thread that I should probably post this on?

Thanks,

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB, OS X 10.12.6) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Sun, Mar 1 2020 10:36 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 166
    • Points 2,165

The other thread was this one:

https://community.avid.com/forums/p/196726/880253.aspx

But it was not mute/unmute specific nor elaborated.

• Mon, Mar 2 2020 8:15 PM In reply to

Thanks for the link. I guess that makes two of us who would prefer it. But I do see your point (hence the setting suggestion). 

further to the Mute Clip function, does anyone know if the AAF output error, where avid doesn't copy (or consolidate) Muted media, has been fixed yet? I have only just started using 2019-12 so haven't had an opportunity to test this yet. 
    At the very least, it should be an option in the export settings to include 'muted clip media'. 

Often these mute clips are alt takes of dialogue for the sound team. Currently just these clips display in protools with no media. So we have to manually search the film for them and either copy muted clips to a new sequence, unmute them, then export aaf of that sequence in addition to the main aaf OR find each muted clip, unmute, adjust volume to -99dB (I mean infinity but can't find the character on my phone) before exporting the AAF. Both methods are quite cumbersome.

jonno 

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Mon, Mar 2 2020 9:05 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 509
    • Points 6,550

Yup.  I've made this request in the past.  https://community.avid.com/forums/t/198708.aspx

I agree.  Mute and unmute should be the same keystroke.

w10, mc 2020.4, diy x299 7940x [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller