Latest post Tue, Jan 7 2020 11:57 AM by SilvaEdit. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 6 2020 9:27 AM

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 3 2010
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,135

How to export 4k short film cropped (without bars)

Hi there,

I've come to the end of working on a short shot at 4k. I've been editing in a 4k DCI Flat 3996x2160 1.85.1 project and have applied a 1.85 mask on the timeline. We used the extra head and foot room to create pans and reframe etc.

Anticipating that some festivals may want a file without black bars (is anamorphic the correct terminology here?), what is the best way to achieve this?

Many thanks

S

• Mon, Jan 6 2020 11:56 AM In reply to

Re: How to export 4k short film cropped (without bars)

For tidiness I'd probably create a new project with the desired raster dimensions for the new output.

In the original project do a video mixdown at deliverable quality and cut a copy of the sequence with that video and your audio.

Take a copy of that final sequence bin into the new project.

Then use frame flex to cro off the masking to fit the project raster.

Then output that.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Jan 6 2020 9:59 PM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,135

Thanks for the advice.

Is there a resource for knowing what the pixel dimensions would be for a 3996x2160 without bars?

• Mon, Jan 6 2020 10:59 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,690
    • Points 44,390

SilvaEdit:

I've come to the end of working on a short shot at 4k. I've been editing in a 4k DCI Flat 3996x2160 1.85.1 project and have applied a 1.85 mask on the timeline. We used the extra head and foot room to create pans and reframe etc.

Something does not make sense here. 3996x2160 is already 1.85 (as you noted).  You say you added a 1.85 mask to this.  You should not have seen the mask!!!

So, either you have left out some critical bit of info or I am totally misreading your post.

SilvaEdit:

Anticipating that some festivals may want a file without black bars (is anamorphic the correct terminology here?), what is the best way to achieve this?

Anamorphic is a whole different world.  If you do not know what anamorphic truly means, then I would guess you did not shoot in anamorphic nor would you be delivering in anamorphic.

Truly, the most important bit of info you need is what format you will be asked to deliver.  Find that out and proceed from there.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Jan 7 2020 10:31 AM In reply to

• Glenno
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,160

SilvaEdit:

Is there a resource for knowing what the pixel dimensions would be for a 3996x2160 without bars?

The 1.85 mask in Media Composer is very old and calculated based on 4:3 footage. It has a vertical height of 72%.

To match what you've created you'll need a raster with 72% height of your current letterboxed sequence.

So you'd need to make a non-standard raster of 3996x1555.

The closest standard raster would be 4096x1716.

• Tue, Jan 7 2020 11:30 AM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,135

OK, having looked at the original rushes the raster dimension is 3840x2160. The DOP informs me that they used a 1.2.4 mask to crop the image.

I cannot find an example of a 1.2.4 mask online to lay into the timeline, either on Vashi visuals' pack or a premiumbeat free aspect ratio bars pack of dozens of masks. What should I be looking for here, how do I apply the correct mask?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I THINK THIS IS JUST A MISCOMMUNICATION WITH THE DOP WHO IS EUROPEAN. HE MUST MEAN 2.39.1

• Tue, Jan 7 2020 11:54 AM In reply to

• Glenno
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,160

If you want to use a letterbox for 2.40 on 3840x2160 raster use the Mask effect and set height to 74.

If you want 2.40 without a letterbox then make the raster 3840x1600.

• Tue, Jan 7 2020 11:57 AM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,135

This is perfect thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller