Latest post Mon, Oct 21 2019 7:05 PM by Fazz Powell. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 11 2019 8:36 PM

Napoleon Dynamite Dancing - Blur Nudity

Napoleon Dynamite dancing - change the name on his shirt from Pedro to Danny while he dances. Is that even possible with Media Composer? How? 

https://youtu.be/9-lpVPu4nDU

I have a similar video to produce that we're planning and they want to change a word on her white shirt three times during her dance.

She won't have a chance to change shirts during her dance because it's a live concert.  This clip of her dancing, they want to edit afterwards to change one of the words on her shirt three times.

Is there some kind of follow effect?

How do they blurr out the tattoo or the privates in a nude shot?

Maybe there's a way in Media Composer for me to paint on one frame at a time.  it would be 240 frames that I'd have to edit manually.  They will pay and I have the time.

i9-9980XE; Asus Prime x299 Deluxe II; 128GB DRAM4; Nvidia Titan RTX; SSD 2TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 14 2019 10:58 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,744
    • Points 47,975
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Napoleon Dynamite Dancing - Blur Nudity

The blur effect is simply a pixelated blur using a follow motion effect. MC has a motion tracker that can be tied to various effects to perform the blur. But what you're talking about is a bit more complicated. If you want to properly follow what's on the shirt, you need to map the word onto a 3D surface to properly distort the word is accordance with how the dancer is moving. Anything else is going to look cheesy. This is far past the capability of MC. You would need something like After Effects or Fusion, and you'll probably have to rotoscope each frame.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Oct 15 2019 3:02 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 748
    • Points 11,365

As above, but I think it will take much more work than that.  I think you'd need to completely replace the shirt with one created in Maya or Blender or other 3D software.  I don't see how After Effects could even do this.

This is not something even a great editor could do without a very thorough knowledge of 3D modelling, materials, and compositing.  

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Tue, Oct 15 2019 3:51 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,510

This would be a tall ask. Most trackers either track specific points or "clouds" of points, or planes. That tracking data is then fed into some sort of transform of an object, manipulating the scale, rotation or position.

So if the object is a fixed plan say like a phone screen or billboard, these things are easy to track and easy to replace the face.

The problem with the text on the shirt is that it would not only scale, rotate and move, but warp in 3d space as well. Something that most software would have a hard time dealing with. 

So you could get close using something like the Mocha Tracker and After Effects to track the shirt and position replacement text but it may look more like he's wearing a sign around his neck with the text than a shirt with the text. You maybe able to massage the keyframing and warping, but it won't be seamless.

The big hollywood FX guys would probably use 3d software to create a new transparent 3d surface with the text which would bend then be tracked onto shirt.

MC 2019.9 Asus Prime X299 Deluxe, 64GB of Memory, Core i9 7940x @3.1Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. Running Win10 Pro 64bit MC 2018.4 Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 15 2019 3:57 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,510

Also...if the video hasn't been shot yet, you might think about just doing this practically with wardrobe. Design and make some sort of shirt with magnets with a fabric panel of the initial text that can be quickly removed and discarded or squirreled away in a pocket.

MC 2019.9 Asus Prime X299 Deluxe, 64GB of Memory, Core i9 7940x @3.1Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. Running Win10 Pro 64bit MC 2018.4 Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 15 2019 10:16 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,411
    • Points 97,300

What Erik said, or even simpler, you could record the dance three times with three different wardrobes.  Edit to do the changes.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 16 2019 4:22 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,744
    • Points 47,975

As the OP says, the dancer is doing a live performance and won't have the opportunity to change shirts. So unless she's doing 3 different performances, that won't work. And even then she'd have to hit the same spot and be in the same dance position (I'm presuming the text on the shirt will be hidden at that point) in order to make the change. This is tough even for the most experienced dancers. Morphing software could potentially ease the transition if the positions are close enough.

Again, unless you've got that Hollywood budget, it comes down to rotoscoping. This is how it was done in the past pre-CGI. A really good old-school animator/rotoscoper could probably do 240 frames in less time then trying to map the shirt in software and then replacing the text.

There are a couple of freeware programs that I can think of. The first is Blender, which is what I use. The latest version is easier to use than the previous ones, but it still has a pretty steep learning curve. It does both 3D and 2D animation (there were significant improvements in 2D for this release). The other is Pencil 2D. It's easier to learn, and you can rotoscope in it.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Oct 16 2019 7:59 PM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 465
    • Points 5,130

DStone:
    .....and you'll probably have to rotoscope each frame.

Now and then I will  pop in to play around with an issue posted that gives an example of what is needed. D Stone can attest that in this case there is ! What ever method is used lots of tweaks will be needed. Only stating the obvious.

1. Text blur and letters to match contours of shirt needed

2. Letters to match contours of shirt needed

3. Letters to match contours of shirt needed

4. Letters to match contours of shirt needed

Indeed this was not a post to "play around" with! The work it is going to take is obvious. I agree with D Stone's Roto approach. I would also add a little painting.

! Good luck on this one! Post results and approach taken. Yes

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Oct 16 2019 8:32 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,693
    • Points 44,415

There is a new plugin for AfterEffects that "might" help.

https://aescripts.com/lockdown/

This will be a hard job with any tool.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Oct 16 2019 11:41 PM In reply to

it will be a short commercial spot promoting a major concert tour... live concert tour that will be promoted on national broadcast.  we will shoot the very first live concert.  The dancer will not be doing a dance as animated as Napoleon Dynamyte but that was the best example I could think of for this post.  Her piece in the commercial will be about 7 seconds and she will select clips in which she's not moving so drastically.  So I suspect that one of the above suggestions might just work.

I can't thank you all enough for the time you took to share your thoughts.  I have produced nationally televised infomercials but never a non-infomercial spot like this.  It won't be as intense as it might seem.  And the name change can be a little noticable to viewers.  The other aspects of this spot must be dead on pro because the spirit of the name change can have a slight touch of cheese...just not too much cheese.  That's why they hired me because infomercials are all a bit cheesee.

The cheese is acceptable in infomercials because of some other buyer phsycology aspects that are too deep to discuss in this disscussion platform.

Kind thanks,

Mr HG Domenech

i9-9980XE; Asus Prime x299 Deluxe II; 128GB DRAM4; Nvidia Titan RTX; SSD 2TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 17 2019 12:05 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,693
    • Points 44,415

As I thought about this I came up with this solution.

Create 3 (or how ever many different) shirts.  Make them "rip-a-way" and have the dancer were all three.

Work into the dance points where either assitants or the dancer rips away the top most revealing the next message. Repeat.

The "best" effects are the ones done practically.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Thu, Oct 17 2019 1:30 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,744
    • Points 47,975

jef:

The "best" effects are the ones done practically.

I like it! Simple and effective.

Dave S.

• Thu, Oct 17 2019 7:51 AM In reply to

Get the dancer to wear a skin tight T-shirt so as there are no folds in it to work around.  May be even put some tracking markers on it too?

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12 x 16 Z400/420/440/800/820 PC's on W7/10 x64. 3 x Mac, 4 x PT 2019.12 HDX, S6 , X-MON, all on PCs. NEXIS E4 & ISIS 5000 X... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 17 2019 9:13 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,411
    • Points 97,300

Depending on the degree of movement that may not help at all.  Mocha may get you close, or even Lockdown in AE.  However if you don't already have either you will need to pay for them - figure that into your budget.

I like the tear-away wardrobe suggestion.  If you can make the camera see it you're done.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 17 2019 9:52 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,693
    • Points 44,415

Another thing about any of the tools mentioned - Mocha, After Effects, etc.

These all require a pretty lengthy learning period to do even moderate work well.  What has been described will be way beyond moderate.

You really should consider hiring an experienced effects artist BEFORE the shoot to consult and to do the work.  This is not a good first project.

Plus, I really do not understand why you need to use the "live" performance.  If you are going to be editing this, then I would think you could shoot it for editing.  The parallel is how opera's are often recorded for film.  A true live performance is intercut with a performance for camera (s).

Doing this effect in post seems like making the most work for something that could be very simple.  But I do not truly understand the concept and restrictions.

Good luck!!

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller