Latest post Wed, Oct 16 2019 8:24 PM by gstrudler. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 3 2019 8:47 PM

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,255

iZotope RX 7 Audio Editor

How do I access the iZotope RX 7 Audio Editor from within Avid Media Composer in order to use the time-frequency selection tool and Spectral Repair function on audio in my Avid sequence?

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.8 / MacOS High Sierra / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) / 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 12 2019 1:27 AM In reply to

• gstrudler
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 49
    • Points 625

Re: iZotope RX 7 Audio Editor

Considering this is a week old you probably figured it out, but you have to use the iZotope RX Connect AudioSuite plug-in to send it to the standalone RX 7 interface.

MacOS 10.14.6, Media Composer 2019, Pro Tools 2019, Nitris DX, trashcan Mac Pro (12-core), dual AMD D700, 64GB RAM, BCC, Sapphire, Mocha, iZotope RX, Sonnox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 13 2019 4:53 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,255

gstrudler:

Considering this is a week old you probably figured it out, but you have to use the iZotope RX Connect AudioSuite plug-in to send it to the standalone RX 7 interface.

I hadn't figured it out -- I was just opening the iZotope RX executable and loading the WAVs files directly into that.  But you're saying that this Connect plug-in will send my MXF media to the interface, freeing me from the need to load the original WAV file?  How does it save the edits done in the standalone interface?  As a render?   

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.8 / MacOS High Sierra / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) / 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 13 2019 6:13 PM In reply to

• gstrudler
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 49
    • Points 625

Yes, it creates a rendered version and uses that in your sequence (same as if you were using any other AudioSuite plug-in).

The plug-in has fairly straightfoward options that walk you through the process ("Send" to RX, "Render", etc). iZotope has a quick guide to get you going.

MacOS 10.14.6, Media Composer 2019, Pro Tools 2019, Nitris DX, trashcan Mac Pro (12-core), dual AMD D700, 64GB RAM, BCC, Sapphire, Mocha, iZotope RX, Sonnox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 15 2019 3:00 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,255

If I render & OK and go back to avid and load the interface on the same section of the sequence to do additional repairs, will it remember all the repairs I did last time I was on the interface or am I starting from scratch?

update: it seems to start from scratch, unless there's a button I'm pushing wrong

• Wed, Oct 16 2019 10:45 AM In reply to

• gstrudler
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 49
    • Points 625

I haven't done extensive testing and don't use it a lot, but I don't believe it can recall settings.

From what I can see the RX Connect plug-in doesn't share any metadata with the standalone app (timecode, clip names, etc), so there's not really any way for the app to know or store settings associated with particular audio segments. I believe the plug-in essentially just pushes the audio to the RX app, and then the app pushes the edited audio back to the plug-in.

• Wed, Oct 16 2019 2:54 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,255

But the audio that RX pushes to Avid doesn't get pushed back to RX if further editing is required.  The un-edited (pre-edited?) audio gets pushed to RX.   So for example if in Timeline mode I push audio from sequence to RX and make 7 repairs in RX and send it back to Avid and render and then realize that there's an 8th repair I need to make, the original audio gets pushed back to RX and I have to re-do the first 7 repairs plus the 8th.  I can't pick up where I left off.  I would have to do an audio mixdown of the Avid render and then push the mixdown in order to work from a piece of audio with the 7 repairs in it.   Unless I'm missing something in my understanding of the workflow or some limitation because I'm in RX 30 day trial mode.

• Wed, Oct 16 2019 8:24 PM In reply to

• gstrudler
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 49
    • Points 625

Unfortunately that sounds like expected behavior. AudioSuite plug-ins reference the original audio so that under normal circumstances you can make changes to your plug-in settings and re-render. Since RX Connect doesn't really hold any settings it's working against you in this regard.

If you think you might go back for further edits there are a couple "save" options inside the RX app. One will export a .wav file and the other is an RX document that will save the session so to speak with plug-ins and whatnot. However, at that point you'll have to export from the app and import into Avid, which is what I think you were doing originally.

If this is something you expect to be doing regularly (assuming you decide to purchase it) then it's worth submitting a feature request to iZotope to see if there's something they can do to help the cross-linking between Avid and the standalone RX app.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller