Latest post Thu, Sep 26 2019 12:24 AM by Abeyta. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 24 2019 10:37 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Idea [I] Update: Reboot issue affecting Apple Mac Pro devices

Update:  Reboot issue affecting Apple Mac Pro devices

From our top Excecutives on the issue today.  More to follow.

https://www.facebook.com/Avid/videos/785524035213576/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uuwbgGMTJA

Let me know if you have questions.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Sep 25 2019 4:23 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,485

Re: Update: Reboot issue affecting Apple Mac Pro devices

This happened to me yesterday when I launched Media Composer on my Mac Pro 2013. I received an iLok license error and tried to reboot and was dead in the water all day. I had to do a full recover from Time Machine last night. My computer is up and running again this morning on OS 10.10.5 but do I need to do anything before trying to relaunch Media Composer again? I don't want to start that mess all over again. Thanks for any suggestions.

Derrick 

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.9, 32GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 24TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Wed, Sep 25 2019 5:46 PM In reply to

Uninstall Google chrome. 

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 25 2019 11:10 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:
    Uninstall Google chrome. 
    Only problem with that here was the Mac (10.10.5) has never had Google Chrome installed or even downloaded to it.

FWIW here even after reinstalling the OS MC reported the software was unlicensed.  The Mac would not see any dongle on any USB port.  (It would see every other USB devices in those same ports,)   It took re installing MC, to get a new Dongle manager install before the Mac would see the Dongles.  They then worked as normal on all USB ports

• Wed, Sep 25 2019 11:15 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I spoke at length wiht Eli in our engineering team on this Andrew

Eli feels you encountered some sort of issue that seems to have corrupted your OS which was fixed.  Then your dongles stopped appearing which usually indicates a Sentinel.kext corruption of some kind.  The reinstall of MC automatically did a Sentinel.kext install (in those older releases we still did that on Mac) and probably replaced the corrupted kext with a new good one.  Which allowed your dongles to be seen by the OS again.

I’m not sure there is anything more to look into at this point.  You seems to be working again so that’s good.

It’s possible you encountered some other reboot/crashing issue unrelated to chrome and just had the bad luck timing to have it happen at the same time as the Google issue.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 12:11 AM In reply to

Thanks Marianna. Yes I am running now without issues so all is good.   

Sorry but you know I am far to cynical to fully embrace a "bad Luck timing" encounter for an all the same symptoms and same cure problem that occured a few days before the first reports of any Reboot fail issues appearing here.  I had fixed the Mac OS reboot problem  over the weekend.  And it was not until I went to open MC this week that I associated MC with the original reboot issue.  I have never had an Avid  dongle fail to appear before this week so that was not at the forefront of my thinking when approaching this issue  Wink

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 12:24 AM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,485

Thanks for the suggestion Dom. After checking my system I don't have Google Chrome installed on my Mac Pro. Not sure why I was affected but either way I am now up and running and Media Composer is working like it used to. I appreciate the response. Thank you.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.9, 32GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 24TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller