Latest post Sat, Jul 20 2019 2:25 PM by Cutyes. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 20 2019 10:03 AM

• agw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 5 2014
    • Posts 19
    • Points 240

Lagging Timeline

Hi,

I have a specific project where I'm getting some problems with Avid lagging when doing any operations in the timeline.

It generally takes 1 or 2 seconds more to do anything than it should, and I ocassionally get a spinning beach ball.

It was working without problems, but then started happening. I have tried restarting my machine to no avail. I also tried rendering out the entire timeline.

Anyone have any experience of this and/or know what might be causing it?

Many Thanks,

Adam

• Sat, Jul 20 2019 12:38 PM In reply to

• agw
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 19
    • Points 240

Re: Lagging Timeline

I've also tried trashing database files - it didn't help either.

Any help appreciated. Do I need to try uninstalling and reinstalling Media Composer?

Adam

• Sat, Jul 20 2019 1:01 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,330

Does it happen in one particular sequence or in any sequence of the project? Did you test it with a different user setting?

• Sat, Jul 20 2019 1:12 PM In reply to

• agw
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 19
    • Points 240

It happens with any sequence in the project.

I've just tried opening up a different project entirely to test it, and I found that the timeline was behaving as normal - no laggng or beachball.

So I guess that narrows it down to the project causing the issue?

Adam

• Sat, Jul 20 2019 1:20 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,330

What version of MC are you using? Has the project been created in an older version? What's the nature (Linked, MXF...) of the footage? Do the source clips play smoothly as long as they are not edited into a sequence?

• Sat, Jul 20 2019 1:38 PM In reply to

• agw
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 19
    • Points 240

I'm on Media Composer 2019.6.0.

The project was created in this version.

Footage is Linked. Music tracks and SFX are imported MXFs.

I have gone back to some older sequences in the project. I think I might have narrowed down the problem. The lagging starts to happen on sequences where I had added some EQ and Compressor effects to audio tracks. Could this be causing the issue?I can't really see anything else that has changed in the timelines that worked fine vs the ones that are lagging.

Adam

• Sat, Jul 20 2019 2:25 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,330

agw:
    I had added some EQ and Compressor effects to audio tracks. Could this be causing the issue?

By "added to tracks" you really mean the whole tracks (RTAS), not single clips, right? Well, that could cause some lag when you press play. Though EQ and Compressor are most common, the sum of them might stress the system. Did you take a look at CPU usage? If you haven't already, duplicate one of sequences and remove or bypass the effects. If the performance goes back to normal you'd have the culprit.

2019.6 has shown some unexpected behaviour here and there. If your system never had problems with that amount of track effects the trouble might be related to the new version. Or maybe the combination of RTAS and linked footage? Do the tracks, that have track effects applied, only contain imported media or linked media as well? I am just stabbing in the dark here, but maybe you can observe a difference between the two.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller