Latest post Mon, Jul 15 2019 4:41 PM by Joachim Claus. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 10 2019 2:44 AM

• ADG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 14 2018
    • Posts 11
    • Points 190

AAF export settings for Archive purposes

Hello, I create a range of content from promos and TVC's to longer form content (half hour, 1 hour etc). I need to archive some special projects and would like to AAF certain projects/sequences onto an external drive. Is this the best workflow for archiving? Most of my sequences contain AMA linked files. What is the best way to do this? There are many options to click and it is confusing. This is not for Pro Tools this is purely so I can archive and recall a sequence quickly (if I need to) and bring back media from the external drive with it. I want to keep all my layers and effects. I would assume I need to consolitate the media with handles?? I can't seem to find a good youtube tutorial on this and would appreciate any help. Kind Regards

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Jul 10 2019 11:56 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 934
    • Points 11,945

Re: AAF export settings for Archive purposes

Hi,

I use AAF-eport as a standard backup for finished projects. 

First you must transcode AMA-linked clips and relink your sequence, or consolidate the desired sequence. 

Second, you run AAF-export with option "copy media to folder" for both, video and audio. You can directly select your external drive as target directory.

On your external disk you will find the AAF-file plus Avid's standard media file structure with a folder  MXF and a subfolder "!1", which holds all clip copies.

If you want to get you projact back into your system, you have to create a folder inside your standard location for Avid media Files. Give this folder a unique number, e.g. 100, and then copy all media files and the AAF-file into this folder.

When finished, open Media Composer. MC recognises the new media in folder "100". Now create a new project (possibly with the same name as the original project), and import the AAF-file from folder "100" into an empty bin.

All clips will be found in the bin together with the original sequence.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Wed, Jul 10 2019 11:40 PM In reply to

• ADG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 14 2018
    • Posts 11
    • Points 190

Thanks Joachim. I have a few questions in regards to your reply. I hope you can help.

First you must transcode AMA-linked clips and relink your sequence, or consolidate the desired sequence. 

Why would I need to do this? How would I do this? Would I click on each ama linked file in my bin and transcode or would I have to do it on the master clips?

If I was to consolidate the desired sequence what benefit would that have as opposed to transcoding and relinking? How would I consolidate? Would I just click on the sequence Icon and then consolidate?

Second, you run AAF-export with option "copy media to folder" for both, video and audio. You can directly select your external drive as target directory.

Would I always select 'Copy media to folder'? I just want the clips used with some handles. 

On your external disk you will find the AAF-file plus Avid's standard media file structure with a folder  MXF and a subfolder "!1", which holds all clip copies.

If you want to get you projact back into your system, you have to create a folder inside your standard location for Avid media Files. Give this folder a unique number, e.g. 100, and then copy all media files and the AAF-file into this folder.

I don't know what this means. I don't know what you mean by creating a folder inside my standard location for Avid Media Files? 

When finished, open Media Composer. MC recognises the new media in folder "100". Now create a new project (possibly with the same name as the original project), and import the AAF-file from folder "100" into an empty bin.

All clips will be found in the bin together with the original sequence.

Joachim

Thanks for your help.

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 4:41 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 934
    • Points 11,945

ADG:

Why would I need to do this? How would I do this? Would I click on each ama linked file in my bin and transcode or would I have to do it on the master clips?

If you have AMA-linked clips in your sequence, AAF-export does not work. It needs transcoded clips either per transcode or per consolidate.

For transcoding AMA-linked clips, mark all of them in the bin, right click and select transcode. in the openeing transcode window select the desired format and codec, e.g 1080/50p and DNxHD 240.

If I was to consolidate the desired sequence what benefit would that have as opposed to transcoding and relinking? How would I consolidate? Would I just click on the sequence Icon and then consolidate?

Transcode (as the name say) transcodes all clips in full length, while Consolidat a sequence, only transcodes those clips, which areused in the sequence and only transcodes the actual used  clip length (plus ahndles).

Would I always select 'Copy media to folder'? I just want the clips used with some handles. 

If you want to get a backup with all clips of the timeline, then you have to select "copy media", otherwise your AAF-export will only contain references to the used clips but no backup.

I don't know what this means. I don't know what you mean by creating a folder inside my standard location for Avid Media Files? 

AVID MC maintains all media files in a unique folder structure. The structure is:

<Media Drive Letter>\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1, e.g., D:\Avid-MediaFiles\MXF\1. MC increases the foldername "1" by one, if a specific number of media files is present ( I do not exactly no the number, however it is in the range of some thousend files). So the next folder would be ...\MXF\2. You can create any numbered folder inside the MXF-flder for reloading your AAF-saved sequence, e.g.number "100" as in my example.

Sorry for coming late with my answer. I am currently oin travel and do not have Internet access every day.

I place my answers into the quoted text above in Italic.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 4:41 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 934
    • Points 11,945

ADG:

If you have AMA-linked clips in your sequence, AAF-export does not work. It needs transcoded clips either per transcode or per consolidate.

For transcoding AMA-linked clips, mark all of them in the bin, right click and select transcode. in the openeing transcode window select the desired format and codec, e.g 1080/50p and DNxHD 240.

Transcode (as the name say) transcodes all clips in full length, while Consolidat a sequence, only transcodes those clips, which areused in the sequence and only transcodes the actual used  clip length (plus ahndles).

If you want to get a backup with all clips of the timeline, then you have to select "copy media", otherwise your AAF-export will only contain references to the used clips but no backup.

AVID MC maintains all media files in a unique folder structure. The structure is:

<Media Drive Letter>\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1, e.g., D:\Avid-MediaFiles\MXF\1. MC increases the foldername "1" by one, if a specific number of media files is present ( I do not exactly no the number, however it is in the range of some thousend files). So the next folder would be ...\MXF\2. You can create any numbered folder inside the MXF-flder for reloading your AAF-saved sequence, e.g.number "100" as in my example.

Sorry for coming late with my answer. I am currently oin travel and do not have Internet access every day.

I place my answers into the quoted text above in Italic.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller