Latest post Sat, Jul 6 2019 4:14 PM by jserigny. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 6 2019 2:53 PM

• jserigny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 16
    • Points 190

Avid stopping responding randomly

I have an editor that when he is editing the system will stop and Avid will crash unexpectantly. As far as I can tell, there is only a Windows Stops Responding Error message that pops up. Right now the editor is using 2018.12.3 Ultimate.

I cannot tell what the message is because I have yet to see it in person and the looking at the console log after restarting it doesn't give me much help in determining what the issue is. Is there a way to determine what is causing this problem as I have yet to replicate it?

I am considering upgrading to at least 2018.12.6 as it may be too big of a learning curve to go all the way to 2019.6.x for this user. But in preperation for upgrading this system to 2019.6.x, I am thinking of trying to boost the Ram from 32 to 64 if possible, upgrading the system drive from 256GB NVMe to 1TB NVMe and upgrading the video card. I have a Quad Core E3-1245 processor  running at 3.9 Ghz. The video card is from an older computer that only has 1 GB of video memory. It is an Nvidia Quatro card with 2 outputs, I can't remember the number it is so old. In all, the system is just over 3 years old.

Alot of our video is edited for news projects so I don't need something too extreme because we are dealing with 1080 video and on occasion a 4K video or 2. Most of the video gets transcoded from AVCHD to HDV (probably not the most efficient process) before going to Avid to avoid linking and source browser. The most the system gets taxed is Multcaming anywhere from 4 to 6 HDV streams for a few projects.

• Sat, Jul 6 2019 3:34 PM In reply to

Re: Avid stopping responding randomly

Hi, 

Try if these 2 utilities give you any info.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

and

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/application_crash_report.html

These have helped me in the past learning what is causing a BSOD.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sat, Jul 6 2019 4:14 PM In reply to

• jserigny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 16
    • Points 190

Re: Avid stopping responding randomly

I may try that, but the error is less severe than a Blue Screen error.

I also did experience another issue where the system seemed to have locked up, but Avid was still responsive, I could click on clips and move cursors, but the video would not play. 

I hit control-S, I could still move things around and click on the menus but still no videos would still play (preview or timeline). Then a few seconds later, the save popped up and saved the project and then I could play videos again.

I am not sure if this is what the user was experiencing and decided to relaunch Avid after this unusual behavior.

Another bug unrelated to this crash, I think I found is with the new AutoSave is when your computer is low on disk space and there isn't enough drive space to get a current save in the project folder. It will save a Zero Byte file and lose all your current work and then you have to go back into the Attic to recover the last saved Attic file.

That is another reason why I want upgrade the NVMe drive system drive to a 1TB. 256 GB fills up fast when you are downloading files and needing to download updates that are a few Gigabytes.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller