Latest post Sun, Jul 7 2019 11:35 PM by Alayne Holmes. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 5 2019 6:37 PM

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,168
    • Points 13,195

2019.6 first thoughts

All worked pretty well from the off. It used my existing settings without apparent problems. 

1. Get Info still always opens in a new window - be nice if a modifier key would replace the previous get info window, Indeed an always live 'info' window would be useful. 

2. I had lots of spinning beach balls - e.g. 40" after a relink (same as 2018.12.3) in this project, which has a lot of UHD and HD AMA linked material. I assume this is indexing or similar going on as there is a lot of disk activity on the raid. Split the timeline into reels and that seemed to help.

3. TC entry in the composer window via numeric keypad is erratic. Numbers don't show up, timecode entry ignored completely, timecode rejected even though it should be a valid 'go to' point

4. Repeatable crash when selecting 'same source clip colour' in the timeline - results in segmentation error. 

5. I did have another complete crash when I entered a search term in the effects palette

6. And yet another when I tried to relink, possibly whilst it was still populating a bin following a 'link' via the source browser. 

On OSX 10.13.6, 32GB Ram, Ultrastudio 4K IO

• Fri, Jul 5 2019 7:42 PM In reply to

Re: 2019.6 first thoughts

New user settings are mandatory.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 6 2019 1:46 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    If new user setting are mandatory why doesn't Avid supply a small executable file which would load and display existing user settings and latest mandatory settings so users could just check the appropriate box in the latest version  along with an update button for when all changes are made.  Give options for users with settings from MC 7 or  MC 8 or MC 2018 12 to MC latest version requiring new user settings whilst retain their User name.

That would seem to me to be a very easy and useful coding exercise for the newest member of the MC writing team. It would save hours of Avid users time that they could then spend learning where the every day functions they are familiar with have been moved to in the latest product designer UI reshuffle.

Alayne

• Sat, Jul 6 2019 5:17 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,168
    • Points 13,195

Job ter Burg:

Except the app opens with last used project & user settings selected.... (I just pressed enter, honest!)

• Sat, Jul 6 2019 5:31 AM In reply to

TrevorA:

Except the app opens with last used project & user settings selected.... (I just pressed enter, honest!)

Same here for half a dozen different projects.  So far had no issues except Source Record workspace had to opened from the Windows\workspaces menu rather than it programmed Key Stroke. These user settings were originally setup for MC 7.  This is why I suggest that if Avid feels it is mandatory  then they should provide a simple non time consuming method to update existing user settings to be MC 2019.6 complaint.  

Alayne.

• Sun, Jul 7 2019 10:52 AM In reply to

Alayne Holmes:
    if Avid feels it is mandatory
    They have always promoted doing this regularly, especially on new 'full' versions. For 2019.6, they were aware of specific issues caused by using old user settings. Hence the even stronger recommendation.

Were they able to create a conversion tool, they would have built one in, I reckon.

In the meantime, while I get your request and agree that we'd all rather not have the hassle, it is SOP.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 7 2019 10:23 PM In reply to

The intention of this post is in no way aimed at the messenger.

Job ter Burg:
    They have always promoted doing this regularly, especially on new 'full' versions.
    Yes they have  and they obviously have never understood the "cry wolf" effect. 

Job ter Burg:
    For 2019.6, they were aware of specific issues caused by using old user settings.
    Then why not in the readme name these settings and let us update the the offending settings in our existing user settings. 

Job ter Burg:
    Were they able to create a conversion tool, they would have built one in, I reckon.
    I disagree. How hard could it be to design a UI that opens both  existing and update settings pages simultaneously. These pages already exist.  Then code a series of code a series of IF existing setting xxx = A  then  make update Setting yyyy = Z  End with Close old settings followed by a Save AS update setting with Existing user name and even more standard "Are you sure you want to overwrite prompt."  This is a gross simplification but really    not able to??

Job ter Burg:
    it is SOP.
    then it is probably time to seriously consider changing the SOP.  Try designing major updates with the end user in mind rather than for the convenience / laziness of the Product Manager, Product designers and code writers.

Alayne.

• Sun, Jul 7 2019 10:41 PM In reply to

Alayne Holmes:
    This is a gross simplification but really    not able to??

I meant that if they knew exactly which settings were causing which issues, and how to modify settings to work with a new version, it would hardly require a separate app/UI to do the conversion, as MC could just do the settings upgrade, no?

• Sun, Jul 7 2019 11:35 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    as MC could just do the settings upgrade, no?
    Probably not in my opinion. These settings are our own User settings. The ones we carry around with us that allow us to edit with familiar KB etc settings wherever we have to work.

Alayne

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller