Latest post Fri, Jul 19 2019 3:59 PM by Telegram!. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 26 2019 8:01 PM

Working with stills fixed in MC 2019?

Avid Pan & Zoom has been broken for the longest time (I think I submitted a bug report almost 4 years ago, and Support said that they were working on a fix at the time).  Their workaround was to use Framflex, but it obviously doesn't have controls like ramping.  I work in documentary and have made due with framflex for the few stills in each show.  However, we have a long show coming up with lots of stills.

Does MC 2019 have a working Avid Pan & Zoom, or new tool?

• Wed, Jun 26 2019 8:35 PM In reply to

Re: Working with stills fixed in MC 2019?

There's not a new tool. I just tried P&Z on 2019.6 and it seemed to work, but I usually use the Boris P&Z effect, so I may be missing something. If there's a specific thing you'd like me to test, let me know.

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jun 27 2019 12:06 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 501
    • Points 5,985

peacebreaker:

Avid Pan & Zoom has been broken for the longest time

Do you mean pan & zoom not accepting files from any folder path?

this has been fixed for quite a while.

admittedly, fixing also took a while.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 27 2019 1:23 AM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 215
    • Points 2,570

I have not used it yet in 2019 - but have been using avid and pan zoom in previous releases and have not had any problems.  What exactly is happening?  I like using it so I will now test it in 2019. I also go to boris on occasion.

Symphony 2019.7- Win 10 pro (1809), Asus PrimeZ270 with i7 7700 cpu, Quadro P2000,(431.02) 64gig memory, 500gig SSD system drive, WD 5TB,and 2TB media... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 27 2019 1:11 PM In reply to

We've not had any P&Z issues for a good chunk of time here, We always point to the external file here rather then apply to an ingested still.

Do you apply to ingested media or point to the original file?

We are on NEXIS here and ensure editors point to the stills on a NEXIS mount they have R/W to rather than from desktop/other.

ACSR Elite 4 x z840 MC2018.11 w/Symphony option, Baselight for Avid, Neatvideo 17 x z840 MC2018.11 5 x z4 MC2018.11 4 x 440 MC2018.11 All with Boris... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 27 2019 4:07 PM In reply to

Sorry, should have specified the issue: when using pan & zoom on a file, the effect creates a "boomerang" shaped path no matter which option is chosen.  For instance, when zooming in to a person on the far left of a team photo, the camera will move left past them and then boomerang back towards them.  When I spoke with tech support in April, they claimed that the issue had been fixed way back in MC 8.5. But I confirmed that it's still there in MC 2018.11.  I looked into Boris last year but there were a few things that made it not quite the perfect solution.  If everything looks OK in MC 2019, maybe it's time to upgrade and cross my fingers.  Here's Support's response through the years:

March 2015: "The issue that you mentioned is a bug. Here is the bug number for your reference MCCET-19."

Sept 2016:  "The engineering said in the comments that they can't do anything because the goal is to deprecate Pan and Zoom and use FrameFlex instead. So this will be addressed in FrameFlex functionality."

Oct 2017:  "As for the Pan & Zoom bug, engineering would not like to do any changes on the Pan & Zoom. Instead, they're going to have that function available on Frameflex later this year."

April 2019: "Upon checking MCCET-19, the affected versions are MC 6.5.2 and 8.4 then it was fixed MC 8.5. Are you saying it did re-occur to MC 2018.11?" (I sent them a screencapture showing that that was the case.  Did not receive a response.)

• Fri, Jun 28 2019 11:37 AM In reply to

peacebreaker:

Avid Pan & Zoom has been broken for the longest time (I think I submitted a bug report almost 4 years ago, and Support said that they were working on a fix at the time).  Their workaround was to use Framflex, but it obviously doesn't have controls like ramping.  I work in documentary and have made due with framflex for the few stills in each show.  However, we have a long show coming up with lots of stills.

Does MC 2019 have a working Avid Pan & Zoom, or new tool?

I checked out MC v2019.6’s FrameFlex, which I hardly ever do, for its ability to Pan/Zoom and I see that I can apply a Spline or Bezier to the default Linear settings on Position and Size Keyframes. Did you ever try that? 

I wish the Pan and Zoom concept - however it is to be handled- will be improved upon, say, by this time next year. Does anyone know if this is high on the list of “will-do’s” or the ACA’s  “please do’s“?

I like some of the aspects of manipulating keyframes— using Frame Flex Effects Analysis Monitor is neat*, BUT not being able to Save a hard-won P&Z effect by Dragging an icon into a Bin is a total bummer. Forces a one-FX-at-a-time “Workflow” or “Molassesflow“

Perhaps that’s a permanent limitation of FrameFlex?! Can anyone from inside shed light here?

The current MC Pan & Zoom looks great but it’s many limitations are well documented in our archives- not random bugs that have since been fixed, but built-in features that are expected but not there. Rotation / Tilt / etc comes to mind.

* Effects Analysis Source Monitor image: can it get sharper? Is there a Setting or trick to improve it?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 15 2019 7:53 PM In reply to

Thanks for that frameflex tip.  I didn't realize you could right-click the keyframes and select different path options.  At what version was that added?  Why didn't tech support ever point me to that?  Looks like it it will do the trick until a true pan&zoom type effect is created.

I upgraded to 2019 and I see that pan&zoom (at least on my system) still has the "boomerang" path bug.

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 11:48 PM In reply to

peacebreaker:

Thanks for that frameflex tip.  I didn't realize you could right-click the keyframes and select different path options.  At what version was that added?  Why didn't tech support ever point me to that?  Looks like it it will do the trick until a true pan&zoom type effect is created.

I upgraded to 2019 and I see that pan&zoom (at least on my system) still has the "boomerang" path bug.

I couldn’t answer your questions, but I’m glad if I helped you re: FrameFlex.

makes me wonder if you have fully explored the Path/Spline options available within regular MC Pan & Zoom FX Tool. I can only suggest trying everything there and simplifying your tests, if possible. In my own work I rarely use more than two P&Z keyframes but within that limitation, there are numerous variables. Though I may have once experienced something like your described “boomerang” issue, I am generally satisfied with the quality of my P&Z faux camera moves. If you can describe or screenshot or perhaps upload a zipped bin of your non-working P&Z effect here on this forum, I may eventually be able to download it and take a look at it. (If you are not interested, that’s fine, too!)

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 17 2019 6:53 PM In reply to

Thanks for the offer.  Here's a video my Pan&Zoom in action.  

https://vimeo.com/348666954/18b26cf94c

No matter which option is chosen for Path and Velocity, the actual pan & zoom paths are always splined.  So it always has a "boomerang" type path towards the target.  Its more subtle when Velocity is set to linear or constant.  But very apparent when set to ease-in/out (at 00:21).

• Thu, Jul 18 2019 1:33 AM In reply to

Hi, I watched them, thanks. I  could use a screen shot of your keyframes. I can’t tell: Are you using 2 (Start & end at top and tail) or 3 with one in-between? Please let me know if you are using Bezier on keyframes.

i just did a 3 Keyframes Pan Zoom using Bezier and I think it is better than your moves, but not perfect. (I’ll try to post an mp4 or screen shots inside previous posts). I think the imaje is a good one to practice a 3-keyframe move on, with an eye to making a smooth turn around the boot.

• Thu, Jul 18 2019 4:29 PM In reply to

I have two keyframes.  I tried setting the keyframes to bezier and other options and still not happy with the results.

The odd thing is that when I'm viewing a frame from the middle of the move, and I move the x/y bezier adjustment keyframes around, the crosshair on the image moves, but the preview guidelines don't move with it.  In other words, adjusting the x/y bezier doesn't seem to actually affect the move in any way for me, even if I adjust the bezier to the extreme.  However, it does work when adjusting the zoom bezier.

Here's a pick of the keyframes set to linear.

It shouldn't be this difficult to set a simple linear pan and zoom with an ease-in/out. It worked before with no fuss (MC 6 I think) and then something changed when we jumped to MC 8.

• Thu, Jul 18 2019 5:50 PM In reply to

• Thu, Jul 18 2019 5:51 PM In reply to

Hi, just to confirm: You can make Settings > effects adjustment like mine; also, that you have ben able to 'spin down' those grey boxes to reveal bezier adjustment :wings".?  Also, please use Composer > Render on the Fly = ON

• Fri, Jul 19 2019 12:27 AM In reply to

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller