Latest post Wed, Jul 31 2019 7:22 AM by eqracer. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 5 2019 10:08 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 413
    • Points 5,175

Re: Adjusting bin column width in 2019.6

BarkinMadd:

I trust and respect Marianna as well, however, that has little if nothing to do with this conversation. My sense is simply that her choice of words may have been an over simplification for the sake of clarity.

Well I quoted a trusted Avid employee and advocate verbatim, unlikely though the answer seems to me, but hey what do I know - I know nothing about coding?- therefore I think it fair, to say it does have something to do with it. 'If it does not matter' why do you continue to argue with something I agree totally with you on? Banned from Twitter - really? I don't care since I've never been on it - lol.

MC with Symphony option, 2019.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/32GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, Windows 10 Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 6 2019 1:30 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,680
    • Points 61,175

Happy 4th Marianna - glad to hear you are getting some well-deserved R&R.

I'm enjoying going back and forth with Mercer because I'm a sh*t disturber - lol. Honestly though - I get the impression from this and other threads that people are under the impression that 2019.6 is a 'from-the-ground-up' rewrite of Media Composer, the inference being that it will be a vast improvement in all aspects of the software (from rendering pipeline to effects management, color grading, and delivery). I would apprecaite some clarification purly for the sake of helping to manage people's expectations.

All the best -

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.7 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 ... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Jul 7 2019 6:01 AM In reply to

This is my strategy for v2019.6 Bin Column widths:

With Bin > Add Custom Column, I am creating single-character columns such as 1,2,3, etc. as "spacers"

which are easily re-positioned and reduce "Column Clutter". Then use "Save As" at bottom of Bin View drop-down menu.

Custom "MARKS" View:

Before: the v2019.6 Default "Basic" BIN VIEW =

As you can see, the Bin View selector on the upper right is Mouse Scroll-enabled, so when you set up your own custom Bin Views they are organized EXACTLY the way you want and in the ORDER you need them, i.e. not alphabetical, but sequentially optimized for Mouse scrolling gestures. (on Win system here).

All the CUSTOM Bin Views created can be renamed in Edit > Preferences >Settings >User >Bin Views.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 8 2019 8:36 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 413
    • Points 5,175

Telegram! You're a Godamned genius, thanks.

MC with Symphony option, 2019.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/32GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, Windows 10 Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 9 2019 12:52 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,680
    • Points 61,175

Mercer:

Telegram! You're a Godamned genius, thanks.

Agreed! That's a pretty great workaround. Thanks for posting. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.7 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 ... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jul 9 2019 2:10 AM In reply to

Thanks!... but I figure this workaround will be completely unnecessary at some point...

NOTE: use #'s to arrange order of Custom Bin Views in Bin View Drop-down

I just learned that MC allows saving a copy of current SITE Settings as an xml file, which can be then be used to transport or to archive... anything we put in there, like Custom Bin Views. Site_Settings in MC is opened in Windows menu, near bottom. Drag your Custom Bin Views in there, if you want to save them, using File > Save setting File, then File > Save Copy of File As...

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 9 2019 2:21 AM In reply to

• Thu, Jul 11 2019 10:03 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,606
    • Points 223,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Barkin and Mercer specifically........

Sorry for the delay - inundated with emails, PM's, direct messages etc....

From what I have been told, all of the bin code and windows interaction code was rewritten to QT ( that’s the modern UI architecture) and the changes were about as significant as you can get!!!!    

You’ll see that some of the more complicated windows like the timeline are not responsive like the other windows.  This work is in progress,and will contiue to be tweaked and added too over time, but with the first rev 2019.6, we deemed it too risky to do with all of the other work going on.  This is a phased approach we have been discussing.

Also, now that we have a updated baseline of code, we can work with users to get feedback as we add new features to the timeline.  In the end, a lot of UI is new or we have a foundation to move forward through our phases of updates. 

Also new is the formats/codec engine that will eventually replace AMA, that’s the Op1a work that you see and some of the QT replacement work that has been delivered in past  few releases. 

With background processing, all of that code is new as we had to create the new distributed processing product.  And the underlying code for the 32 bit pipeline and color processing is new, which means all of the FX were rewritten for 32bit support and underlying code to support all the finishing/conform/ACES functionality.

Back in December, we had done a lot of work for CPU/GPU processing for 4-8K playback, there is a ridiculous amount of new work there too.  All these changes roll up to the new “engine’s” we referred too at NAB. 

Finally, DNxUncompressed got somewhat of a makeover too for 2019.6.  In the end we really do have a good fresh foundation for a lot of next gen items for Media Composer.

As for 2018.x, there is a CET team who works on that to fix the bugs for the 2018.x user base.   

Make sense...

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 5:51 PM In reply to

• Jon Ross
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 17 2014
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 5
    • Points 90

I think I cracked the code what it's DOING in 2019.3 but it's stupid as *** (pardon my french) .

I've got a container bin with 3 rows and 2 containers in row 1, one container in row 2 and 3.  So basically in any row I can only see about 10-15 clips.   I've got super long "clip names" in my B-roll bin that the AE basically named the clip what would normally be in the description field.

anyway, it's been driving me crazy that sometime when I open the bin the column for clip name is about 14 characters wide with the longest clip name in there "B-Roll; Aerial"

but if I sort or custom sift that column to a clip with a longer name i.e. "B-Roll,Aerial;ISland: Top Down; House; Trees; Dock;Lake".  Basically like 160 characters (once again, the AE did this not my choice) it pretty much gets cut off and I only see the first 14 characters.  If while that clip is visibile in the 10 clips I can see in this bin, and i drag the column layout to the left or right to reposition it. It dynamically resizes the column width to the widest item visible, in this case the NAME column becomes 150 characters wide and all the other columns shrink or grow accordingly. 

It will stay at this width until you sort, search, sift, pull a different column layout, or re-order any column at which point it makes every column as wide as there are characters of the longest visible text in that group of clips.

So if I sort the name column and the 14 character clip moves to the top and the 150 character name is no longer in the 10 clips that are visible.  The column shrinks again.

Needless to say this is so Archaic and stupid I can't even, but.. at least now I understand what it's doing, I can work with it.  Hope that helps until they wise up and make it like every other program (lets say 4 years from now)

Also, I no longer see the old tick bar sidth slider that would always display the columns to the left of it.  I guess that's gone or hidden in a settings file somewere you need to know of to turn on.

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 9:04 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,680
    • Points 61,175

Marianna:

Thanks Marianna - pretty much what I expected from a UI rework perspective but I am surprised at the depth of rework for some of the background components. I suspect that it will take a few releases to stabilize much of this foundational work and I look forward to the evolution of MC over the next few years.

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jul 16 2019 1:30 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,606
    • Points 223,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BarkinMadd:

Marianna:

Thanks Marianna - pretty much what I expected from a UI rework perspective but I am surprised at the depth of rework for some of the background components. I suspect that it will take a few releases to stabilize much of this foundational work and I look forward to the evolution of MC over the next few years.

Barkin....  sorry that my initial post was cryptic and short.  I was running on empty the week leading up to 2019.6 and the week it launched.  Busy bee.....  

There is a 2019.x in beta right now and i suspect that a bumnch of things will be not only fixed but tweaked.  Im looking forward to that as well....  as the case load goes down :)

Thanks my friend..

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jul 16 2019 1:56 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,606
    • Points 223,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jon Ross:

I think I cracked the code what it's DOING in 2019.3 but it's stupid as *** (pardon my french) .

I've got a container bin with 3 rows and 2 containers in row 1, one container in row 2 and 3.  So basically in any row I can only see about 10-15 clips.   I've got super long "clip names" in my B-roll bin that the AE basically named the clip what would normally be in the description field.

anyway, it's been driving me crazy that sometime when I open the bin the column for clip name is about 14 characters wide with the longest clip name in there "B-Roll; Aerial"

but if I sort or custom sift that column to a clip with a longer name i.e. "B-Roll,Aerial;ISland: Top Down; House; Trees; Dock;Lake".  Basically like 160 characters (once again, the AE did this not my choice) it pretty much gets cut off and I only see the first 14 characters.  If while that clip is visibile in the 10 clips I can see in this bin, and i drag the column layout to the left or right to reposition it. It dynamically resizes the column width to the widest item visible, in this case the NAME column becomes 150 characters wide and all the other columns shrink or grow accordingly. 

It will stay at this width until you sort, search, sift, pull a different column layout, or re-order any column at which point it makes every column as wide as there are characters of the longest visible text in that group of clips.

So if I sort the name column and the 14 character clip moves to the top and the 150 character name is no longer in the 10 clips that are visible.  The column shrinks again.

Needless to say this is so Archaic and stupid I can't even, but.. at least now I understand what it's doing, I can work with it.  Hope that helps until they wise up and make it like every other program (lets say 4 years from now)

Also, I no longer see the old tick bar sidth slider that would always display the columns to the left of it.  I guess that's gone or hidden in a settings file somewere you need to know of to turn on.

Jon can you email me please so I can find your license and email address and create a case on this one as it should help to get this resolved.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Jul 17 2019 11:48 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,167
    • Points 13,190

• Sat, Jul 20 2019 11:04 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 413
    • Points 5,175

Marianna:

Sorry for the delay - inundated with emails, PM's, direct messages etc....

Thanks for the detailed explanation Marianna, makes perfect sense.

• Sat, Jul 27 2019 10:16 AM In reply to

• davidemasi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 5 2019
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Any news about this function in the 2019.7 release?

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller