Latest post Wed, Jul 3 2019 7:49 AM by derDoyle. 71 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 20 2019 5:45 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

Re: Important Update on Upcoming Creative Tools Price Adjustments | 7.1.19

Marianna:
    Pricing has not changed in 5 years.....   * 5 * years. 

I think we need to look at a couple of things.  Historically, powerful software at these prices is an unprecedented value, subscription or perpetual.  Same with FCPX and Resolve at $299 for purchase.  Just an incredible amount of power that can run on a laptop.  I could sit here and tell you stories of the $100K turnkey packages we needed to buy, but no one wants to hear an old guy do the "back in my day.." stories!.  IMHO, if your business model can't handle this tiny uptick (when looked at annually), there is some other problem.  Any price increases here should be taken care of the first half of the day on the first job after you upgrade.  If you are hobbiest, then you have a decision to make.  Simple as that.  I think we have all have gotten too used to apps being free or .99 on an app store.  This ain't Angry Birds!

One other reason many companies are going to subscrition because it provides a predictable level of revenue and in-turn provides a consistent product development budget and cycle.  This is a good thing.  Hopefully Avid users get more of the requested features and bug fixes in a more timely manner.  As for the timing,  July 1 is the start of the 3rd quarter (or maybe Avid's fiscal year?) and this makes the accounting easier to figure out. 

All that said, it's up to Avid to put out a product and updates that make it all worthwhile.  

Just my humble opine.

sw

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Thu, Jun 20 2019 11:07 PM In reply to

• MBrock321
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 1 2011
    • Posts 49
    • Points 605

It's not about the cost, Scott, it's about being treated as a second-class user.

If the price increase for a perpetual license was the same as for a subscription, there would be very few complaints.

As for this 'predictable revenue' malarkey, I don't think it holds up to scrutiny.  Perpetual licenses were basically on a subscription plan anyway if you wanted to keep up-to-date, so that doesn't explain Avid's attempt to get people to switch to an ordinary subscription that may earn Avid less money.

In my own case, all the large projects I've worked on in the last 3 years have been on Premiere, for various reasons.  It made sense to me to keep my perpetual license up-to-date over that time, since Avid remains my editing system of choice for many types of projects.  However, if I were to follow Avid's prodding and switch to a subscription, I would be unlikely to go on a yearly plan, and would probably only pay for the occasional month when I actually need the software.   So in my case (and I suspect I'm hardly unique) I'd be spending much less than before, and there would be no recurring, reliable revenue for Avid -- which is supposedly the whole justification for this manipulative pricing.   

Work: Media Composer 7.0.4, Mac Pro, 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 24 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB, OS 10.9.2 <P> Home: MC 5.5.3 software... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 12:11 AM In reply to

I get everyone is in different fields and pay grades here, but 100 bucks extra a year hardly seems like something to make a fuss about - its like 25 cents a day essentially so for the hobbyists and indie guys - gotta think about it that way versus the intital stiker shock. 

AT least they are still offering a perpetual license unlike adobe. You want to keep the software after yo stop paying - you pay a slighter higher fee than someone who is just renting. Makes sense to me. Sure there are plenty of options these days but none of them are Media Composer. 

I still say the timing is really poor given we have about a week with the new version to make a decision, nad now Id really love to see how Avid plans on building on this new version

After tinkering around for a few minutes on my laptop it really feels like a UI refresh and not much more. I understand alot has changed under the hood - but the timeline is still sort of "sticky" when comapared with other NLES's and I was hoping it would be buttery smooth and the performance tweaks had to do with that rather than with faster exports which I selfishly dont care about. Its all about editorial performance for me. 

• Fri, Jun 21 2019 3:02 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 589
    • Points 7,820

Marianna:

Hey wmc....

Good to hear from you....  

We are looking into that now as it appears that 2018.12.5 and higher ( 2018.12.4 was pulled due to a bad bug ) is not inside MyAvid.

I will report back but I asked Ajay to create a acse for you and associate the bug to it.

Stand by

Marianna

Ajay got in touch and the problem was fixed in less than 48 hours.  When I got his email, I suspected you were the instigator ;^}

Anyway, thanks to you and Ajay for sorting this out.  I breifly checked out the 2019.06 and I think I am going to like the new UI. Looks great on my 32" Asus  monitor.

Thanks again.

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Fri, Jun 21 2019 5:14 AM In reply to

• QMax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 11 2010
    • Milan, Italy
    • Posts 28
    • Points 315

Robert Goodman :
    AT least they are still offering a perpetual license unlike adobe. You want to keep the software after yo stop paying - you pay a slighter higher fee than someone who is just renting. Makes sense to me.

Please don't forget:

Rental: Free download+239$/year

Perpetual: 1499$+399$/year

Perpetual license owners had already payed an "slighter higher fee"...  1499US$, or, like me , 1799US$ with dongle.

Avid Media Composer 2020.5 Perpetual|Symphony Option|Dongle PC: Asus PRIME z370-A, Intel i7-8700K/3.70Ghz, 32Gb, Win10 Pro x64, nVidia GTX 1060-6GB OWC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 5:22 AM In reply to

Is Avid planning to restrict software versions on projects? That's the annoying thing wth Premiere, if someone gives you a newer project than the one you have installed you/re forced to upgrade. I'm not sure if I read something like that or not...

• Fri, Jun 21 2019 12:26 PM In reply to

I appreciate the nuances that have been brought to the discussion. I overreacted a bit. It just feels unfair that perpetual licensees are being hit much harder by these price increases than other users. In any way, I should have chosen my words in previous posts a bit more carefully, and I agree that we are blessed by having incredibly powerful tools at our disposal for a fraction of what it used to cost in the past.

MC: 2018.12.11 CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4/64 SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 500... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 12:53 PM In reply to

diegoborgh:

Is Avid planning to restrict software versions on projects? That's the annoying thing wth Premiere, if someone gives you a newer project than the one you have installed you/re forced to upgrade. I'm not sure if I read something like that or not...

Avid isn't doing anything like that, and I haven't heard of any plans to do so in the future, either.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jun 21 2019 6:48 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

MBrock321:
    'predictable revenue' malarkey,

But can't you just buy the perpetual license and not upgrade, but you have it forever?  I mean, this version of MC is probably more than most of us need or use for years to come.  It's a helluva software.  Couldn't you just buy it and use it for years without paying for suport or an upgrade?  

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Tue, Jun 25 2019 7:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,309
    • Points 232,400
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Robert Goodman :

Good thing I just renewed my perpetual this week. Worth the extra hundred bucks next year to be able to keep ownership of the software IMO.

I just wish Avid would stick to a plan - it seems pricing changes every six months.

Also the timing is in sort of poor taste. Not giving many people alot of time to test the new version before commiting. 

Robert

Actually pricing has not changed on the MC side in 5 years.  yes there have been promotions but the actual pricing has not changed.  The renewal has been $299 for 5 years.  

The new version is great - while it does have a few things wonky like Boris ( expecting Boris to release a patch shortly ) and NewBlue ( which we are working on with them now )... and a few other quirks... the overall reaction has been positive.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Jun 30 2019 7:41 PM In reply to

Marianna, I think this has already been answered in this thread, but I am a little confused on some options to switch to the subscription model. I have Media Composer Perpetual on the Annual Update & Support Plan with the added Symphony purchased. So as I understand it, if I did a MC Crossgrade to Subscription today for 199/yr, I can activate Symphony with my current code. As an alternate option I could do the MC | Ultimate Crossgrade to Subscription after today for 299/yr for 2 years. My question is after that 2 years of being on MC | Ultimate, if I switched down to the standard MC Subscription am I still able to activate Symphony?  This seems logically like it should work, but I am just not sure at this point. My main concern is loosing my Symphony purchase. I do not want to go to the 499/yr plan in time so I would just stay Perpetual (with coveted dongle) at 399/yr.

• Wed, Jul 3 2019 7:49 AM In reply to

• derDoyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 18 2015
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 136
    • Points 1,645

Well, I just had a little heart attack when I looked into my account. I just wanted to renew some Licenses.

Almost all our Licenses had the old special-price for 321€ per year. Now it's 428€. That's a big jump.

But if I get this right I could Crossgrade to Ultimate for 343€ per year, is this right? That's somewhere in between. I need the Shared Storage option, would get the Plugins on top and the price jump would not be this big. And I would gt rid of my Dongles.

Does the Crossgrad-price stays the same after a year?

Doyle

Clients: MacPro6.1 (2013 "Trashcan"), 3,5GHz 6-Core, 16GB (1866) RAM, AMD FirePro D500, 256GB SSD, macOS 10.14.6, Avid MediaComposer 2018.12... [view my complete system specs]

Passionate In-House Avid Support

Admin of the German Avid Community on Facebook

Page 5 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller