Latest post Wed, Jul 3 2019 7:49 AM by derDoyle. 71 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 12:37 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Important Update on Upcoming Creative Tools Price Adjustments | 7.1.19

CinéMatica:

Marianna,

What will be the new price of the "1 Year Subscription (Annual Commit Pay Monthly)" for the Symphony option? It is not listed in the PDF-document.

Thanks,

Ivan

Ivan - that did not change.     

https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?viewState=DetailView&cartID=&sku=DYNA4002

Still the same AFAIK

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 1:16 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,691
    • Points 61,300

Marianna:

CinéMatica:

Marianna,

What will be the new price of the "1 Year Subscription (Annual Commit Pay Monthly)" for the Symphony option? It is not listed in the PDF-document.

Thanks,

Ivan

https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?viewState=DetailView&cartID=&sku=DYNA4002

Still the same AFAIK

Marianna

At the moment that reads as $199/y for Media Composer w/ Symphony.

Curious as to why this is so much cheaper than our perpetual upgrade. Anyway - I'll step out of this discussion for now and let others digest this news. I really didn't realize that I was paying more for the privilage of having paid so much in the past... Sort of the opposite of a loyalty discount.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 ... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 1:16 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,691
    • Points 61,300

(sorry for the double posting)

Marianna:

CinéMatica:

Marianna,

Thanks,

Ivan

Still the same AFAIK

Marianna

Curious as to why this is so much cheaper than our perpetual upgrade. Anyway - I'll step out of this discussion for now and let others digest this news. I really didn't realize that I was paying more for the privilage of having paid so much in the past... Sort of the opposite of a loyalty discount.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 ... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 1:29 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,520

BarkinMadd:

Unfortunattely it is not $199. I wish! 

It is 12 x $23.99 for Media Composer, plus 12 x $19.99 (as far as Marianna knows) for the Symphony option (this is not included with the general subscription to Media Composer). The Symphony option is only included with Media Composer Ultimate, which I don't have.

So 12x $43.98 a month. This all makes a total of $527.76 a year.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.3.51505.0 | Avid Symphony Option | Avid ScriptSync 2.0 | Avid PhraseFind 2.0 | Avid Pro Tools 11.3.1.370 | Avid Application... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 2:03 PM In reply to

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Belfast, Ireland - now, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 326
    • Points 4,260

I too think that Perpetual license owners are being unfairly treated with this new pricing. My 1 year support is due to end in December 2019 and I have extended it for one more year by purchasing the yearly support renewal from a west coast dealer for US$ 285.00.

For a one man shop there are at least 2 alternative NLEs that are becomming more and more attractive for perpetual use - 2020 will tell more.

Gerry

MC 2019.6, Win 10 Pro(1809), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPU(Driver 417.35),Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 2:13 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 232
    • Points 2,755

Thank you Marianna -

Symphony 2019.7- Win 10 pro (1809), Asus PrimeZ270 with i7 7700 cpu, Quadro P2000,(431.02) 64gig memory, 500gig SSD system drive, WD 5TB,and 2TB media... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 3:17 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,691
    • Points 61,300

Ah - well now I feel better - that makes more sense. So my perpetual license annual fee with my symphony option will be $399 or I could go with the $239 + $199 = $438 if I had never owned MC. No point in comparing monthly fees since I am focused on comparing to the perpetual update. 

Still would like an answer to my cross-grade question. 

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 3:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey wmc....

Good to hear from you....  

We are looking into that now as it appears that 2018.12.5 and higher ( 2018.12.4 was pulled due to a bad bug ) is not inside MyAvid.

I will report back but I asked Ajay to create a acse for you and associate the bug to it.

Stand by

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 4:51 PM In reply to

Once a big corporation like Avid reached a decision they're not gonna back down, they actually calculate that level of resistance and complain from it's customer base.

Having said that, I'm surprised and dissapointed by the short notice, I think it's obvious that Avid wants to push perpetual costumers to subscription, and I wouldn't be surprised if at one point they discontinue that option altogether. Personally, the only reason I renew is for FOMO. I think it is time to put the "Perpetual" to good use, in the end, that's what I was paying for, the case that if I decide to stop paying the software is mine to keep.

I stopped paying renewal for Pro Tools a few years ago and I don't regret that one bit.

I have made one of my resolutions not to get caught up in FOMO anymore, I'd rather miss out on a deal than spending money on things I don't really need.

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 5:00 PM In reply to

I've got a question about the "Perpetual CROSSGRADE to Media Composer | Ultimate 1-Year Subscription" price.

The .pdf pricelist says $299/y. Is that $299/y for the first year and the price then rises to the reqular annual subscription rate of $499 per year for subsequent years? Or do former perpetual license holders get the $299 for the following years as well?

Thanks!

Robert

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 6:51 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 149
    • Points 1,880

I've had a few chats with a number of reps. And, here is what it has come down to, of course Marianna can correct me. :)

Media Composer Perpetual support plan goes up to $399/yr.

Media Composer Perpetual crossgrade to Media Composer Ultimate is $299 for first year.

Media Composer Ultimate renewal will be $499/yr thereafter.

Cross grading will be cheaper for 1 year only. After that Ultimate will be more expensive to continue with.

For those asking about the Media Composer subscription vs Media Composer Ultimate subscription. MC Perpetual and Media Composer Ultimate support shared storage environments. MC Subscription does not.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/Media-Composer-2018-FAQ#Q2

Therefore, all three products are not directly comparable. Each is slightly different in offering. The pricing when put in this context starts to make a bit more sense.

Regular Media Composer Subscription (shared storage not supported): $239/yr

Media Composer Perpetual Support (shared storage supported and eternal use): $399/yr

Media Composer Ultimate Subscription (incl phrasefind, script sync, symphony, and shared storage support): $499/yr

Depending on your environment (one man shops) it would be cheaper to just let your support contract lapse and purchase a standard Media Composer Subscription. And, if you already purchased the perpetual Symphony option, I'm fairly sure you can activate Symphony on the $239 Media Composer subscription at no additional cost. If you are in a shared storage environment then you either pay the support increase ($399) or pay the even higher Ultimate price ($499) but also get all the options.

HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 7:03 PM In reply to

• SSherrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 25 2012
    • Boston
    • Posts 39
    • Points 470

Just keep in mind the trap here. Again, not blaming Avid for going this route, but once you give up perpetual, you are a pay to play customer from here on out. As a perpetual custoner, if I stop paying support contract I still have acces to whichever version of MC I have at the time support lapses. Which means I can still open projects, use the software at will. With subscription, not the case. I have to pay every month or lose access to the software. For some, not a bad tradeoff but for others could be a very poor choice. 

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 7:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

wmcole:

So is there a bug with Avid Link?  I thought it was supposed to tell me when an update to Media Composer was available.  But Avid Link told me to update Avid Link from 2019.3 to 2019.4 then recently 2019.5 but it has yet to tell me there was an update of Media Composer past 2019.12.3?

Was up?

I thought the point of Avid Link was to keep me up-to-date, not just through advertising and "hot" social media posts... :^(

AND, since Avid already knows what the new pricing is going to by, why don't they just tell us so we can make an informed decision as to whether to update now or seek 'other solutions'?

wmc

Hey wayne

Just so you are aware, over the 2017 year, Avid maintained a previous release of software (Media Composer v8.8.x), occasionally incorporating bug fixes and minor improvements. Some of these versions were uploaded to the Download Center with fixes and some with new features and fixes where posted to MyAvid.  

We are doing the same with 2018.12.x for the 2019 year.  The purpose of maintaining the 2018.12.x software version is to provide larger customers sites with a version of Media Composer that remains relatively unchanged – no major new features, functions or UI/UX changes for them to learn just fixes.

Again, for 2019, the Long-Term Maintenance stream base version will be Media Composer 2018.12, which was released at the end of December 2018. The Long-Term Maintenance stream will be 2018.12.x and will continue to receive bug fixes throughout the year.

The Media Composer 2019.x release  coming tomorrow will be the main release stream and will receive all new features and functions as well as bug fixes.

All customers with a current subscription or update & support plan will receive the 2019.x release versions in their Avid Master Accounts (MyAvid) as well as the Download Center. Any user that wishes to run the Long-Term Maintenance Stream can do so and can get them from the Download Center.  It is important to note that new features and functions will not be made available in the Long-Term Maintenance stream under any circumstances; customers must upgrade to the current software version (the current year) to receive new features and functions. 

The new pricing is attached to this message and covers all the creative tools

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 7:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BarkinMadd:

barkin... when you break it down, subcription isnt cheaper.  Yes the first year seems that way but the renewals down the road add up. 

What crossgrade question...... i swear my mind is starting to turn to mush.

Respond here....

marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 7:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

SSherrick:

Just keep in mind the trap here. Again, not blaming Avid for going this route, but once you give up perpetual, you are a pay to play customer from here on out. As a perpetual custoner, if I stop paying support contract I still have acces to whichever version of MC I have at the time support lapses. Which means I can still open projects, use the software at will. With subscription, not the case. I have to pay every month or lose access to the software. For some, not a bad tradeoff but for others could be a very poor choice. 

SSherrick

perfectly put!

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 3 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller