Latest post Wed, Jul 3 2019 7:49 AM by derDoyle. 71 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 17 2019 9:28 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,340
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Important Update on Upcoming Creative Tools Price Adjustments | 7.1.19

Important Update on Upcoming Creative Tools Price Adjustments

We wanted to give you a heads up on some important changes regarding the pricing of our Creative Software products.  We are announcing that we have adjusted several of the prices of these offerings effective July 1, 2019.   Some prices have increased, some have stayed the same and some have decreased.   

As many of you know, the entire technology industry is going through a major shift from perpetual licenses to a new business model focused on subscription.  This directional change is a positive shift for many users that are interested in more flexible and affordable payment options and only paying for those features, functions or services they need to access.  Avid is always looking at ways to improve efficiencies in this area and while we have maintained the same pricing since our subscription offers started over 5 years ago, that will be changing.  We continue to deliver new innovations, as well as new ways of enabling our customers to do their jobs faster and easier. This includes the recent announcements of the 2019 releases of Media Composer, Pro Tools and Sibelius. 

A major focus of our analysis was on the shift from perpetual to subscription models and as a result we have increased the number and appeal of cross-grade offers for those that are interested in shifting from perpetual to subscription.  We have also increased the number of payment options for subscription, including pay up front annually, commit annually but pay monthly and pay as you go, monthly. In addition, we have decided that customers currently subscribing to Media Composer, Pro Tools and Sibelius will not have a price increase, however they must continue to keep their subscription current in order to maintain their existing price.  

Media Composer Family Image is attached.

Please know that Avid understands the impact and implication of price increases and this is not a decision we take lightly or without significant analysis and thought.  For those of you that are currently on Perpetual Licenses, the increase ranges from 0-33% on new licenses depending on the product and type of license.  As an alternative to renewing at the new pricing, there are incentives for you to cross-grade from your current perpetual license to subscription, like decreased pricing and additional functionality, depending on the product. We would highly recommend that you look at those options as you consider your next renewal.

A few answers to questions you will probably want to know….

1. WHEN DOES THIS PRICE CHANGE TAKE EFFECT?
             The new pricing will take effect July 1, 2019.

2. WILL AVID STILL OFFER BOTH PERPETUAL AND SUBSCRIPTION OFFERINGS?
          Yes, we will continue to offer perpetual licenses for our Creative Products, but subscriptions are the preferred software licensing model and as such will have more benefits.

3. WILL AVID STILL SUPPORT DONGLES AND ILOKS?
          Yes, Avid will continue to support dongles and iLok for managing licenses.

4. WILL AVID STILL OFFER UPDATE PLAN REINSTATEMENTS?
             Yes. For specific eligibility please check with your Avid Account representative or local reseller.

5. IF THE UPDATE PLAN FOR MY PERPETUAL LICENSE EXPIRES AFTER JULY 1, 2019, CAN IT BE RENEWED BEFOREHAND AT THE OLDER PRICE?
       Yes, you can renew the Update + Support Plan prior to its expiration date, since this will simply extend the end of your current plan another year. Renew prior to July 1, 2019 to take advantage of current pricing

6. CAN I PURCHASE MULTIPLE UPDATE PLAN RENEWALS NOW OR ARE WE LIMITED TO A CERTAIN AMOUNT?
        You can renew for multiple years while an Update + Support Plan is active, but they must be purchased prior to July 1, 2019 to take advantage of previous pricing.

7. IF I PURCHASE AN UPDATE PLAN RENEWAL NOW FROM MY RESELLER, HOW DOES MY PLAN GET EXTENDED?
     If you purchase a renewal from a reseller you will be given a renewal code which you can use any time before your plan’s expiration date. If you purchase a renewal on the Avid webstore, it will automatically update your
    Pro Tools, Media Composer or Sibelius product and license.

8. IF MY SUBSCRIPTION EXPIRES AFTER JULY 1, 2019, CAN IT BE RENEWED BEFOREHAND AT THE OLDER PRICE?
     Customers who purchased subscriptions prior to July 1, 2019 can continue to renew their subscriptions at the original (current) price.

9. WILL AVID CHANGE PRICING ON AVID.COM?
          Yes, and pricing will be the same for our customers on the Avid webstore and through resellers.

10. WILL THE EDUCATION PRICING CHANGE?

No, Educational pricing for the Creative Products will remain the same.

-------------------------------

Questions please let Raff and myself know...

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 5:15 PM In reply to

• peteopo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 160

Re: Important Update on Upcoming Creative Tools Price Adjustments | 7.1.19

Will there be any change to the way Symphony, Phrase Find and Script sync are licensed for those who aquired them prior to the subscription model?

PO

Orlando

MC 6.0.3, Z800, 16GB Ram, Quadro 5000 Symph 6.5.2, Mac Pro dual quad 2.8 8GB RAM ATTO 380 SAS Netgear Readynas2100 near line storage MaxxDigital... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 18 2019 5:19 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,681
    • Points 61,190

I have stuck with my perpetual license / dongle over the years and at $299 / year that was more than enough in my opinion. One of the advantages of sticking with Avid is the fact that they offer a perpetual license. I don't know many people who appreciate the subscription model, actually. I'm sure it works for professionals but for hobbiests and independent editors a perpetual license seems like a better choice.

Also keep in mind that BMD Resolve is a major competitor to products like Media Composer and for a one-time $300 charge (at least so far) they have been delivering incredible value with a pace of development that out-performs all the competition.

I am not happy with this price increase for the perpetual license. Don't push like-minded customers away from Avid.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.7 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 ... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 5:34 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,681
    • Points 61,190

BTW - Not sure what's going on here but if I try to purchase a renewal under my account, it shows as $390 / year perpetual renewal with support. My support ends July 30 2019. I was under the impression that if I renewed now I could take advantage of the pre-increase pricing.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.7 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 ... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 6:13 PM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,488
    • Points 17,595

$390 CAD / year perpetual renewal is the current price in Canada Steve. It's the price that I paid last year.

Marianna, what will be the new price for perpetual renewal after July 1st?

Media Composer 2018.12.2 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 6:15 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,681
    • Points 61,190

Thanks Sylvain - I wondered about that but couldn't see the currency.

Cheers

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 6:24 PM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,488
    • Points 17,595

No problem Steve!

Media Composer 2018.12.2 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

primeaumedias.com

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 6:30 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,340
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

peteopo:

Will there be any change to the way Symphony, Phrase Find and Script sync are licensed for those who aquired them prior to the subscription model?

PO

Orlando

No as those options run on TOP of MC and have since 2018.4 so they will continue in the same manner.  To clarify... if you own say SS with a perpetual and crossgrade to subscription, the option works on top if that license.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 6:33 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,340
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Whatever the conversionrate of $399 US to Canadian.....   calcutalting it without knwoing the exchange rate on July 1, it would be roughly 534.

I suggest anyone with a PERPETUAL on a Plan now renew at the $299 to get the better price before July 1st.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 6:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,340
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BarkinMadd:

BTW - Not sure what's going on here but if I try to purchase a renewal under my account, it shows as $390 / year perpetual renewal with support. My support ends July 30 2019. I was under the impression that if I renewed now I could take advantage of the pre-increase pricing.

Barkin...

You can as we just add the 365 ays to the existing end of your plan.  So you would expire if you bought 1 plan now on July 30 2020.  If you bought 2 at the lower price before July 1 you would expire 2021.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 6:49 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 400
    • Points 5,220

Speaking as a full-time editor, as long as Avid continues to offer a perpetual license, I will support them with my business. I have nothing against the *option* of subscriptions for those who only use the software occasionally.

Adobe's decision to withdraw their purchase options completely in favour of subscription-only (taking choice and power away from their long-time customers) made me cut ties with them and look for other options. I'm very happy using Affinity's line of software now.

Does anybody remember Adobe's CS slogan?

Avid Media Composer 2019.6 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.0), macOS 10.14.5, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 18 2019 6:56 PM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,488
    • Points 17,595

Marianna:

Whatever the conversionrate of $399 US to Canadian.....   calcutalting it without knwoing the exchange rate on July 1, it would be roughly 534.

I suggest anyone with a PERPETUAL on a Plan now renew at the $299 to get the better price before July 1st.

Marianna

Oh, it will increase by $100 USD. Good to know. Sad

Can I buy more than 1 year of renewal? I no longer see the option to add more than 1 year.

Sylvain Primeau

primeaumedias.com

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 7:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,340
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Yes you can buy more than one.   I see that in the server database but might not have been put on the chart to keep it simple.... or as simple as one can get.  Just buy 1 x plan, 2 x plan, 3 x plan...

I will check with Kate on the 2,3,4 year ones...

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 7:30 PM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,488
    • Points 17,595

Thanks Marianna!

Sylvain Primeau

primeaumedias.com

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 9:38 PM In reply to

I think it is against every thinkable way of customer friendly behaviour and reasonability and politeness to send an email on june 17th 2019 to long term customers that they can extend subscription (service contract) before juli 1 2019 for the old price.

Just rethink these unfriendly ideas.

Have a nice summer.

Page 1 of 5 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller