Latest post Sun, Jun 16 2019 10:07 PM by Dwight . 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 16 2019 5:39 AM

• Dwight
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 26 2010
    • Buhler
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,040

I am submitting a screening version of a 12 minute short film I edited to a local film festival. I'm attaching a photo of their requirements, but basically they are asking for either Apple ProRes 422HQ or Avid DNxHD. 

My project is UHD and I used proxies to edit. The timeline has been re-linked to the original files. 

The export seems to go fine, but the outputted files won't play, even though they are.mov. Quicktime opens, but I get a message saying "QuickTime Player can't open".  Also, after the export, if I try to do anything in MC, it gives me that 'bonk' sound effect like I'm trying to make it do something when it's busy. I have to force quit an re-launch to do anything.

I have not exported in these formats in a long time and can't remember if this is how it's supposed to be or not. Seems like I should be able to play those files. 

Any help would be appreciated. I am on MC 2018.12.3

iMac 27" Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Software Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]

Dwight Buhler   http://www.dwightbuhler.net/

• Sun, Jun 16 2019 11:39 AM In reply to

Re: ProRes HQ export question

They offer you the possibility to submit a MOV or an MXF. The latter (Op1A MXF) is a very good option in MC. File->Export->AMA File Export.

Other than that, doing a transcode or video mixdown of your sequence to either DNxHD or ProRes (if you're on Mac), then exporting the result Same As Source, that should give you the most reliable result for exporting a .mov in either of these codecs.

Whatever you do, do NOT click 'Custom' settings in the QT export box to convert your sequence to APR or DNx. It uses the old slow, 32bit QT encoder, infamous for causing gamma shifts etc.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 16 2019 10:07 PM In reply to

• Dwight
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 26 2010
    • Buhler
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,040

Re: ProRes HQ export question

That worked perfect, thanks so much!. Did the video mixdown and outputted same as source. 

Thanks again!

iMac 27" Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Software Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]

Dwight Buhler   http://www.dwightbuhler.net/

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller