Latest post Mon, Jun 3 2019 2:22 PM by Terry Snyder. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 30 2019 4:29 PM

HW/SW Button?

Probably a dumb question...   What is the HW/SW Button?   I just upgraded to 2018.12.3 and this wasn't there in my earlier installs.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, May 30 2019 5:01 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,930
    • Points 21,300
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: HW/SW Button?

Terry Snyder:
    What is the HW/SW Button?

Support for NewTek® NDI Video over IP, check the What's new starting page 8.

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 30 2019 5:10 PM In reply to

RalphC:
    Support for NewTek® NDI Video over IP

It's enabled by default.   Since I don't have NewTek NDI Video--I dont even know what it is--I assume I should disable it?   Or doesn't it make any difference if I don't have this feature?

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, May 30 2019 5:13 PM In reply to

Terry Snyder:
    Since I don't have NewTek NDI Video--I dont even know what it is--I assume I should disable it?   Or doesn't it make any difference if I don't have this feature?

Okay...   I just discovered that if I disable this, it kills the audio.   Huh?  So I guess I'd better not touch it.

• Thu, May 30 2019 5:18 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Terry - The HW/SW button was there before, but it was hidden from the interface if Media Composer booted-up while no hardware was detected. Now it shows up all of the time, which has indeed confused many users. But don't worry, it can be dealt with easily:

1) Disable it.
    2) Full system shut-down. Wait 20 seconds. Full system start-up.
    3) The system should now remember your choice to disable it, PLUS it should fix your audio issue.

Report back if you're still stuck.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Thu, May 30 2019 5:20 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 131
    • Points 1,500

With this button you can switch between software modus or hardware modus (Mojo DX, Nitris DX, DNxIO, DNxIQ, etc...). If you don't have any hardware attached it should be disabled.

I have it always set to hardware with my Nitris DX. But when I want to record narration via my M-box Pro 3, I have to set it to software.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.3.51505.0 | Avid Symphony Option | Avid ScriptSync 2.0 | Avid PhraseFind 2.0 | Avid Pro Tools 11.3.1.370 | Avid Application... [view my complete system specs]

My old Avid forum account: ISDV

• Thu, May 30 2019 5:27 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

PLUS -- You can use the HW/SW button creatively too. If you do have hardware attached, like a Nitris or whatever, and you want to make a change to something in your timeline... but you do NOT want your change to be seen on the client monitor while you are working on it, then you hit the button. This closes ALL visual outputting of Media Composer.

It also can speed-up your computer if you have a LOT of stacked, unrendered effects and AMA media, if you have it on SW-only mode. 

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Thu, May 30 2019 5:31 PM In reply to

CinéMatica:
    With this button you can switch between software modus or hardware modus (Mojo DX, Nitris DX, DNxIO, DNxIQ, etc...).

I'm still using a Matrox MX02 mini, which I'm happy to report is still working great.   So should I keep the switch enabled?  Is that why it killed the audio when I disabled it?  (I also have an M-Box Pro 3).

• Thu, May 30 2019 5:34 PM In reply to

Pixel Monkey:
    It also can speed-up your computer if you have a LOT of stacked, unrendered effects and AMA media, if you have it on SW-only mode.

That's useful to know.   I'm going to have to learn more about this.   I guess it's not that dumb of a question after all...Big Smile

• Thu, May 30 2019 5:37 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 131
    • Points 1,500

Pixel Monkey:
    PLUS -- You can use the HW/SW button creatively too. If you do have hardware attached, like a Nitris or whatever, and you want to make a change to something in your timeline... but you do NOT want your change to be seen on the client monitor while you are working on it, then you hit the button. This closes ALL visual outputting of Media Composer.

That is an awesome tip Chris! Idea I really never thought about using it that way. You learn a little bit every day. Smile

Thanks!

Ivan

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.3.51505.0 | Avid Symphony Option | Avid ScriptSync 2.0 | Avid PhraseFind 2.0 | Avid Pro Tools 11.3.1.370 | Avid Application... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, May 30 2019 5:44 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 131
    • Points 1,500

Terry Snyder:

I'm still using a Matrox MX02 mini, which I'm happy to report is still working great.   So should I keep the switch enabled?  Is that why it killed the audio when I disabled it?  (I also have an M-Box Pro 3).

If you have your Matrox MX02 Mini still attached and installed you should keep it enabled. When you disable it, it is killing the audio.

• Thu, May 30 2019 5:57 PM In reply to

CinéMatica:
    If you have your Matrox MX02 Mini still attached and installed you should keep it enabled. When you disable it, it is killing the audio.

Yes, it certainly does.   So if I want to switch to SW mode as Chris suggests to speed up performance, I can't do it without loosing the audio?

• Thu, May 30 2019 9:33 PM In reply to

Terry Snyder:
    So if I want to switch to SW mode as Chris suggests to speed up performance, I can't do it without loosing the audio?
    Relatively easy connect your computers audio out to an input on your audio monitor amplifier.  Set your computers audio to output to that connection  Optical out for instance.  Or use the headphones and enable the computers headphone out in the computers Control Panels audio .

• Mon, Jun 3 2019 2:22 PM In reply to

After playing around with it, I'm beginning to see the advantages of the HW/SW button.  With one speaker connected to my Matrox and the other to my audio interface (MBox) I can toggle between the two and take advantage of the performance boost as Chris suggests.   Thanks, guys!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller