Latest post Thu, May 2 2019 6:56 AM by James. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 30 2019 11:48 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Media Composer 5 (Mac) perpetual license

James,

Naturally you are welcome to download and install whatever you want. These are free countries we live in.

However we all highly advise against using Media Composer 5. If you did so, it would have to be on OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard, which is a grave security risk if it is a computer that is attached to the internet. Apple stopped creating security for that OS years ago, so a simple Google image search gone bad could destroy it. Of course if you have no intention of ever attaching that computer to the internet in any way, then there are plenty of ways you can try MC5.

Move forward at your pleasure, but be advised that the Avid moderators who have commented above ^ ^ ^ are the best in the world (really), and I'm not seeing any of their comments supporting the decision.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Wed, May 1 2019 3:50 AM In reply to

• James
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 27 2006
    • Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Points 455

Hi Pixel Monkey,

Thanks for bringing back my fond memories of meeting the criteria of running Avid MC5. I remember when it was released in April 2010.

Avid would only run on an antiquated version of Windows, Windows XP which was released 9 years beforehand, even though Microsoft had released a further two versions of Windows. I automatically had to run two HDDs for dual-boot purposes, one with Windows 7 and the other for Windows XP (which was never connected to the internet, as I didn't trust XP at that point in time either). I guess that I'll also have to run dual boot on my Mac (which I'm happy to do, for security reasons).

I hope that MC5 does run on El Capitan, as Marianna has suggested.  I will be very disappointed if it does not.

I've just been looking over some of my previous posts, and have discovered that this awkward thread should never of happened if someone responded to my previous thread written in 2014. (http://community.avid.com/forums/t/131300.aspx)

I would like to thank Jeroen for his help in tracking down a version of MC5. He has been very kind in assisting me. Thanks!

Thank you all for your constructive feedback.

• Wed, May 1 2019 4:25 AM In reply to

Avid would only run on an antiquated version of Windows, Windows XP which was released 9 years beforehand, even though Microsoft had released a further two versions of Windows

That’s not correct. MC 5 did run on Win 7, and several versions before that ran on Vista, as far back as MC 3.0 in June 2008. Vista had then been released for about 18 months, XP Pro saw its final SP released in 2008. Win 7 had been released a year before MC 5 was released.

As far as MacOS, MC 5.0.4 was tested and approved to run OSX 10.6.7. 

http://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fileField?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2Fcompatibility%2Fen267087&entityId=ka15A000000oN3qQAE&field=Attachment_1__Body__s

I doubt a 2014 iMac would run anything lower than 10.9. At some point I think Apple stopped letting you install an OS version older than the version a machine would ship with.

The first version of MC to support El Capitan was MC 8.5.

I’d think the easiest way to keep using your MC5 would be to use a Win7 system.

i’m sorry you are finding this thread so awkward. Just trying to help you.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 1 2019 6:53 AM In reply to

James:
    I've just been looking over some of my previous posts, and have discovered that this awkward thread should never of happened if someone responded to my previous thread written in 2014. (http://community.avid.com/forums/t/131300.aspx)

I'm sorry if I'm misreading your posts, but this sounds like you think it's the forum's fault that you spent money on a used computer to run an obsolete 9 year old piece of software rather than coming up with an alternative plan 5 years ago when you first learned that the software would no longer be available.

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, May 1 2019 9:10 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 600
    • Points 7,580

Job ter Burg:
    That’s not correct. MC 5 did run on Win 7

I can also confirm that MC5 ran on Win 7 64 bit with service pack 1.

I also ran Symphony 5 on Win 7 (using the classic Nitris hardware) and it peformed better than on previous 32 bit XP platforms, with less 'out of memory' issues on HD. This was with a measly 4GB RAM

Only install issue I (dimly) remember was with using firewire. Had to replace the default driver with a legacy version, then all was good.

The last point revision of version 5 was 5.5.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 1 2019 9:47 AM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,280

I ran MC5 on Win 7 with no problems from 2010 until last year, when I upgraded MC. Am now running MC8.7 still on Win 7 with no problems.

Why change to Mac - stay on Windows. You say that you still have your original MC5 PC installation file.

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 2 2019 5:53 AM In reply to

• James
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Points 455

You are right GT, I should just dual boot into Windows.

Thanks for your advise.

• Thu, May 2 2019 6:10 AM In reply to

• James
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Points 455

You are correct, I do feel awkward for buying a second-hand computer, based up the comment that MC 5 only ran on MacOS up until Sierra. Marianna has always been helpful, so I took her comment on face value based upon my orginal post.

As for running an antiquated peice of software, that doesn't bother me.  If I could still run Office 1996 Pro, I would. As it is, I'm currently running Office 2010. ;-)

In regards to MC5 and Windows XP.  On release of MC5, the only supported and tested Hardware and OS that Avid recommended at launch was Windows XP, and hardware which I cant fully remember. If you look back on the forum in regards to running on a newer version of Windows, there was issues, from memory it had to do with the Nvidia driver (Bruno has suggested it had to do with the firewire drivers, and he most likely right). It was the forum members who managed to make newer version of Windows functional.

I'm sure that you can remember what it was like when running DV Express, if you didn't have the precise Hardware and Software, it wouldn't run or it would crash contantly.  This is why I purchase both hardware and software which had been tested and support by Avid.

If I can't get MC5 working on my second-hand Mac, I will do as GT suggests below, and that is run Windows in dual boot.

Thanks everyone for your comments and constructive feedback.

• Thu, May 2 2019 6:50 AM In reply to

That’s not what MM wrote. She pointed out that MC5 will definitely not run on High Sierra and Mojave (currently most-used OS’es on modern Macs). Likely has to do with 32bit vs 64bit, but that’s my speculation.

Avid has always clearly published hardware and OS compatibility. Which you appear to have always been aware of, as you write about sticking to recommended setups.

As far as the original MC5.0, it was clearly released with official Win7Pro support, (see http://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fileField?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2FCompatibility%2Fen267087%3FretURL%3D%252Fpkb%252Farticles%252Fen_US%252FCompatibility%252Fen422411%26popup%3Dtrue&entityId=ka15A000000oN3qQAE&field=Attachment_1__Body__s) and at the very least, updates to MC5 should run more than fine on it. I’m not sure when I went with Win7, but it was either by MC5, or I was running that on Vista x64. Around 4.x I changed from XP to Vista in order to be able to use more RAM.

I did find reports on issues with FireWire cards and Canopus I/O boxes. https://community.avid.com/forums/t/96929.aspx

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 2 2019 6:56 AM In reply to

• James
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Points 455

You are correct in regards to Apple the ability to install Software beyond MacOS 10.9.  However, this can be corrected by modifying the "disribution.dist" file, "system.version.ProductVersion" line, which allows for installation beyond MacOS 10.9.  Unfortunately Apple calculated the variable alphabetically (String type) rather than numerically, causing the installation problem.

You, and the forum members, have been most helpful.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller