Latest post Mon, Apr 8 2019 2:55 PM by Telegram!. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 7 2019 4:22 PM

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 502
    • Points 6,000

Create reference between .xls and MC

Hi all,

I've got hours of Interviews with summaries of the questions/answers in microsoft excel.

Q1 A1, Q2 A2, Q3 A3...

I need to reference portions of the Groups on the timeline to the summary in excel in a way that stays stable while editing.

I had 2 Ideas to solve this, both failed.

Tried pulling subclips and naming them Q1, A1, but if i edit subclips of grouped clips back on the timeline, the assigned name Q1, A1 is lost, the name of the original group is displayed in the timeline.

Tried Spanned Markers, but they only work on the TC track, if I cut from a timeline with spanned marker, marker information doesn't get passed to new Timeline.

I need something like dis, where i can cut portions but retain Q1 A1 reference:

excel to avid

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 7 2019 6:44 PM In reply to

Re: Create reference between .xls and MC

If your version has it, have you tried Tineline Clip Notes? 

Would Script sync do you any good? I haven’t used it in years.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 7 2019 7:04 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,484
    • Points 42,020

Can you give some more info on broadly what you are trying to do.  Your description left me confused.  The big picture is what I am trying to understand.

Thanks,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Apr 7 2019 8:24 PM In reply to

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 8 2019 12:41 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 502
    • Points 6,000

jef:

The big picture is what I am trying to understand.

I'm putting an insane amount of Interviews on a timeline, tagging them for topics. Markers can do this.

Then I'll create new timelines from this Master Timeline and I need to retain the Marker info. But if cut the frame of video that contains the marker, I'll loose the info. The Client might edit as well, so I'd like to avoid manually copying markers.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 8 2019 12:50 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,484
    • Points 42,020

The first idea that pops into my head is this: On the source side before cutting a section into the master timeline, Subclip it and rename the subclip to whatever is useful for you.  Cut the subclip into the master sequence.

I think that would work. You should test.

I also like the idea mentioned about timeline notes.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Apr 8 2019 1:15 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 502
    • Points 6,000

Thanks Jef, but no cigar.

My footage is Grouped Clips.

Subclips from groups will display the name of the group, not the subclip.

Timeline notes don't work for grouped clips either. bummer.

• Mon, Apr 8 2019 1:42 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

Will it work filling in the "Comments" bin column, and display the comments in the timeline? You'll need to break the interview in subclips according to Your needs. Not in front of a system right now to double check...

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Apr 8 2019 2:15 PM In reply to

Lukas Boeck:

Thanks Jef, but no cigar.

My footage is Grouped Clips.

Subclips from groups will display the name of the group, not the subclip.

Timeline notes don't work for grouped clips either. bummer.

Lukas, I have a good solution that will work with Group Clips, but it may depend on which version you are using, or other considerations: Do your Group Clips have numerous cameras and /or numerous source clips?

• Mon, Apr 8 2019 2:19 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 502
    • Points 6,000

@ Telegram!

I've got latest Version of MC.

My groups have two source clips each, no multigroups.

thx!

• Mon, Apr 8 2019 2:36 PM In reply to

Ok that’s good. What follows is what I would call an Extreme Workaround, because if you want something bad enough, you can get it... bad enough. See if any of it makes sense:

If your Groupclip is comprised of just a few long masterclips... AND, there are a moderate amount of Q & A’s per masterclip, you *may* be interested in this workaround as I think it does no harm, but I recognize it is untested, wacky, etc.

You could Duplicate each of the Group’s masterclips - one dupe for each Q# and each A#, (per camera). Then you would have to manually rename (or Append) “Q1”, “A1”, “Q2”, “A2” etc. to all those dupes...

..then, Re-Group (or, if you have the latest software, Timeline Modify your existing Group) to include ALL those sequentially 

Q/A-numbered duped/masterclips.

(I tried a 24-dupe single camera masterclip Group and it worked fine on v12.2018 version)

Now, on the timeline, you should be able to advance the Group’s “bank” on each edit in order to match the actual Q# or A# it came from.

—-

If you like that, I have another extreme workaround I call Poor Man’s Script Chaser... you might like.

• Mon, Apr 8 2019 2:40 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 502
    • Points 6,000

That makes sense.

Unsure wheter to implement that b/c very time consuming.

I'd encourage you to post "Poor Man’s Script Chaser" at least for posterity

• Mon, Apr 8 2019 2:55 PM In reply to

Lukas Boeck:

That makes sense.

Unsure wheter to implement that b/c very time consuming.

I'd encourage you to post "Poor Man’s Script Chaser" at least for posterity

OK, I guess you have too many questions, each dupe requires appending their name.

The "Script Chaser" notion is really untested, but also motivated by your request. Basically you’re gonna make a Marquee Roll from the a copy/paste of the entire transcript or sequential notes in your xls. The Marquee duration is set to match your existing Group. The Marquee Roll FX becomes a single unrendered FX clip on timeline which you can tweak manually in Effect Editor to improve accuracy of its Y-Position at the start or end of various Questions or Answers.

Mixdown the Marquee FX, then using 2018.12 software or later, Timeline Modify your Group to add the rolling text. You are basically doing manually what  happens automatically, matching back and forth to a text file. (But not an xls as far as I know). 

Having close access to the full transcript was a way to confirm Q# and A# from the first workaround.

I would LOVE to know if there are any further tricks using a data track, subcaps,  the new FIND tool, anything...

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller