Latest post Mon, Apr 8 2019 8:22 AM by jed cahill. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 5 2019 3:22 AM

• jed cahill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 10 2011
    • Australia
    • Posts 48
    • Points 610

Linking clips from bins to tracks in timeline

Hi all I am not sure this can be done but... is there a way you can designate a track in the timeline to a clip in the bin? That way when you select the clip in the bin your insert option in the timeline automatically highlights and aligns the tracks you have assigned to that clip? 

I have four audio clips per webisode from four different characters recorded at different times and they are to be cut into the timeline as though they are interacting with each other. Each recording runs for around 6mins, and I intercut each at an average of 15seconds. I have the first two audio tracks for Lil (named and coloured pink), the second two for Boo (named and coloured green), and so on and so on.

I am currently working in toggle view for the bin, 3 points editing the section I want, moving the clips to the associated tracks for the timeline, and putting them in. If I could automate 'the selecting which track the clip is going to because each clip is assigned a track' that would be amazing.  

AMD Ryzen 71700 Eight-Core Processor 3.00GHz 64GB 64-bit OS [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 5 2019 8:57 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,689
    • Points 66,755

Re: Linking clips from bins to tracks in timeline

Good question, I do not think it's possible, but I may need to take an Avid class to refresh my knowledge! It could be a good one for the features request forum.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Apr 5 2019 10:26 AM In reply to

I agree with Luca. I don't think this can be done. Even if you subclipped all the interviews so each section only had the video and audio track you needed, I'm not sure they'd auto-patch on the other side. And then even if they did, that's probably still going to be a bigger pain than it's worth, and it's the only way I can think to do it.

It's a good idea, though. As Luca says, you should post it in the feature request forum:

http://community.avid.com/forums/44.aspx

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Apr 5 2019 10:59 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,689
    • Points 66,755

Perhaps extensively madifying the clips, by turning A1-2 into A3-4 on a given talking head, and enabling autopatching in the timeline settings, it could be done, don't know if the manual labour involved is worth timewise.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Apr 5 2019 11:13 AM In reply to

No I don't think it can be done.

But if they are colour coded as sources why not just cut them to the one sequence track initially and then just select them by colour and drag down to a new track. Then repeat for each colour.

Its probably quicker and easier to split them after the first assembly than try and create that seperation while editing.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Apr 5 2019 8:56 PM In reply to

• jed cahill
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia
    • Posts 48
    • Points 610

Thanks, I have put a request in. I didn't think there was an option so it is good to make a suggestion, I know I would use it a heap into the future

AMD Ryzen 71700 Eight-Core Processor 3.00GHz 64GB 64-bit OS [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 6 2019 3:45 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,689
    • Points 66,755

Dear Pat, MC is a very flexible tool. By creating dummy Sync clips with A1-2 cloned to A3-4, and making subclips of those  carrying over V1-A3-4 only, You'll end up with a "clip" that will be automatcally cut to V1-A3-4 with autopatching enabled in the timeline settings. This involves cheating MC to manufacture the Sync clips, and it can be achieved in many ways, like making intermediate subclips for autosync, or autosyncing sequences containing the desired tracks. There may be other techniques, like exporting to QtRef a temp sequence with four tracks and reimporting the resulting file, to be modified to get rid of A1-2, or perhaps other tricks involving the "modify clip" command, the use of ALE files, or audiomixdown. It's clunky, might require some storage, and I do not think that spending all this time and effort is worth, but it definitely can be done, not by an MC option though, but by fooling it.

peace luca

• Sat, Apr 6 2019 5:36 AM In reply to

A possible workaround that occurred to me for your 4 Characters example 

Create 4 timelines with 2 audio tracks only 1: with A1&A2, 2: with A3&A4  3: with A5&A6  and 4: with A7 &A8.   
    Name the timelines  1 character name, 2 character name, 3 character name and 4 Character name.
    Edit in the appropriate VO for each time line.   If it suits your workflow use markers for first and last words of each take.
    You could have each of these timelines in their own characters bin. 
    You can use timeline clip colours for the source timelines.
    Drag the 4 timelines into the Source monitor and with the names you have given them they should end up being the first 4 "clips" in the Source monitor drop down list.
    Load the required characters Source timeline and activate desired A1 or A2.  This will auto patch to your Timeline.
    Use the markers to quickly identify appropriate I and O.

If this is a regular edit job I would also create a new audio Workspace and a Keyboard setting with the same name that is inked to this workspace.  On this KB map F1 to F12 to audio tracks 1 to 12. This in conjunction with the standard KB short cut to enable and disable all tracks should make what you are trying to do a fairly rapid process.

Another time saver for subsequent jobs would be saving each of the 4 bins with the source audio timelines as Favourites so they will automatically be available in subsequent projects.

I hope at least some of this is useful.

Alayne

• Mon, Apr 8 2019 7:15 AM In reply to

• jed cahill
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia
    • Posts 48
    • Points 610

Thanks Luca, 

I had a look into it, it is a bit of a workaround to get there tired cheating by modifying the track numbers but that was thrown out. I'll keep exploring 

• Mon, Apr 8 2019 8:22 AM In reply to

• jed cahill
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia
    • Posts 48
    • Points 610

I like the keyboard shortcuts, I didn't even think of that!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller