Latest post Fri, Apr 5 2019 3:52 PM by bd2s. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 24 2019 1:48 PM

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 1 2018
    • Paris
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Adding handles to a vfx timeline for aaf export

Hello all,

Please excuse my english. Here is my problem. On a feature film, I have a timeline with only vfx shots I'd like the lab to send to the vfx studio. So my timeline is clean, just a V1, with markers on each shots for the lab to name the shots the right way.

They ask me to manually add the frames I need for handles, let say 10 frames in that case. I could consolidate the timeline and create a new one with the created clips, but i would loose all my markers. And if I export/import my markers on the new timeline, the 10 frames offset between each shot would probably place the markers later in the timeline on the wrong shots. I could also go with the trim mode and manually add the frames, but it's not efficient, and boring.

So is there a way of creating something like a duplicated timeline but with handles ? So that I can export an aaf to the lab that includes the handles ? Or a tool outside of avid in which I could import an aaf and that would add handles ?

Thank you for your ideas, as I have none !

Filed under: , , ,
  • Thu, Mar 28 2019 1:28 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,469
    • Points 41,835

Re: Adding handles to a vfx timeline for aaf export

bd2s:

I could consolidate the timeline and create a new one with the created clips, but i would loose all my markers. And if I export/import my markers on the new timeline, the 10 frames offset between each shot would probably place the markers later in the timeline on the wrong shots.

When you consolidate the sequence, a new one is made that matches the old except it now has only the handle length you requested. So markers should still be in the same place.  You would still need to trim to reveal the handle.  I think a macro would work well for this.

That is my first thought.

Question.  How does the VFX house get access to the marker info?  Are you making a baked clip of the sequence and exporting a marker list that relates?

Would they accept an individual file for each clip?  That might be easier.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Mar 28 2019 11:08 AM In reply to

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thanks for the advice Jef.

The VFX house has an avid, so they can open my aaf and see the markers. I also provide the related medias or a simple quicktime of that same timeline. For the lab I also provide an edl including markers.

What software do you use for making macros ? It can be a solution, but I'm looking for something smoother. I think it would be quite easy to make a script that adds XX frames to an aaf.

• Thu, Mar 28 2019 11:43 AM In reply to

I wouldn't know how to do this in MC. Also, over the last 10+ years, I have never had them ask me anything like this. The software on their end should easily be able to pull from the source with added handles. This is usually not something asked from editorial.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 28 2019 10:07 PM In reply to

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

I totally agree, it's an odd demand from the lab. They must have their reasons. 
    They tell me they want an exact match between what is asked by editorial and what they output...
    By the way the CTO of the lab built a python tool to add these frames automatically.
    I just have to ingest my aaf in that tool and it creates a copy with the desired handles
  • Sat, Mar 30 2019 4:16 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,469
    • Points 41,835

Well, on Friday I got a similar request.  But mine started in Premiere.

My solution - which could work for Avid projects - was to make an XML in Premiere, go to Resolve and use handles mode.  Really easy.  I can give details to anyone who is interested.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Apr 5 2019 3:52 PM In reply to

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thanks for the tip, Jef.

I didn't know about handles mode in resolve. I'll have a look at it.

But even if it's efficient, it's quite a complex workflow for such a basic request. It would be so great as an avid feature !

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller